Enhancements with Gelish or Shellac

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdnaples

Reaction score
I am not trained in Acylics or Gels yet but researching all i can before i get into doing them. My question is this .....

Can you apply Gelish or Shellac to Acrylic or Gel nails?

If you can apply it to enhancements what happens to the Acrylic or Gel enhancements when you remove the Gelish or Shellac ?

Michelle :)

Hi doll

Yes, you can apply it to enhancements. However during the removal process, you use acetone or acetone-based products and that would cause damage to an enhancement underneath that also degrades with acetone.

I know that some girls apply Shellac over gels and when their clients come in for a rebalance, they end up just filing it off straight away.

Also, a little trick I learned today from my Shellac educator was that you should apply your top coat to the gels, don't wipe off the dispersion layer and go straight to Shellac base, colour then top coat. Remember to make the enhancements a tad thinner but not too much.

HTH

Hi, just read post, do you mean put shellac ( I use gellux) on before you have sealed the gels?

Nope, seal the gel and leave the d layer on, and go right into base of your gel polish

Sorry I am being really dumb here! Do you mean you don't need the fixing( bond) of the gellux on but still clear base coat! And then the colour! Or not to use clear base coat! Just go straight into colour!

We don't use Shellac base coat when applying Shellac over enhancements!

Shellac Base coat provides superior adhesion to the natural nails!

You omit base coat when applying Shellac over enhancements.

If applying over L&P - refine with 1200 grit Koala buffer and go straight to Shellac Colour Coat.

If applying over Brisa - apply finishing gloss and without removing inhibition layer go straight to Shellac Colour Coat.

Kind regards

Just passing on what my CND rep told me today.

We don't use Shellac base coat when applying Shellac over enhancements!

Shellac Base coat provides superior adhesion to the natural nails!

You omit base coat when applying Shellac over enhancements.

If applying over L&P - refine with 1200 grit Koala buffer and go straight to Shellac Colour Coat.

If applying over Brisa - apply finishing gloss and without removing inhibition layer go straight to Shellac Colour Coat.

Kind regards

Silly question but as My CND educator was on maternity I am yet to go on a shellac attack.

I have applied shellac over brisa but I didnt finish the brisa with the finishing gloss, instead I just refined the surface with a 240grit and it lasted just as well...in future should I use the finishing gloss before shellac?

yes. shellac adheres to shiny surfaces well :)

Silly question but as My CND educator was on maternity I am yet to go on a shellac attack.

I have applied shellac over brisa but I didnt finish the brisa with the finishing gloss, instead I just refined the surface with a 240grit and it lasted just as well...in future should I use the finishing gloss before shellac?

This is a CND approved procedure so for optimal results we should follow their instructions.

Thankyou,so much!!!! I will give it a go later!

This is a CND approved procedure so for optimal results we should follow their instructions.

Oh I completely agree :) I will be using this method from now on as i definitely want optimal results and repeat clients (and to jack my 8-4 job in! Lol). I will be booking onto a shellac attack now my educator is back :)

Thank you.

Nataliya, Thankyou gellux looks fab ontop of acrygel nails. When I changed colour I filed off the colour and then started again because using the acetone would take my nails off! It seemed to work ok. One of my clients wanted glitter do you think I could put some on before I cure the colour and seal with top coat????????

Nataliya, Thankyou gellux looks fab ontop of acrygel nails. When I changed colour I filed off the colour and then started again because using the acetone would take my nails off! It seemed to work ok. One of my clients wanted glitter do you think I could put some on before I cure the colour and seal with top coat????????

Yes, you can put glitter. Put a coat of colour and cure it, apply glitter cure it and apply two coats of top coat to avoid nails being rough. Use a dry brush to apply glitter and lightly press it onto the nail.

Hope this helps.

I am a CND Shellac Ambassador freshly qualified so you are safe with me;)

no no thats great! congrats girl! it's always good to hear what everyone has to say. that way i know for sure what to do.

Thank you ! Glitter would stick to colour because nails are still sticky! I saw on you tube they sprinkled glitter into a blob of top coat and stirred it then applied it! What do you think of that?

Thank you ! Glitter would stick to colour because nails are still sticky! I saw on you tube they sprinkled glitter into a blob of top coat and stirred it then applied it! What do you think of that?

Working the glitter on to the nail with a brush works well for me. However, there is no reason why you shouldn't try the other way. It's just another way of doing it.

Latest posts

Back