Enjoy cutting and not colouring

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinytoes

Reaction score
Hey all, i am new on this board.

I just wanted some friendly advice. i have nearly finished my NVQ Level 2. I am not thinking of going into Level 3 but i want to do short private courses/one to one tuition. (i know a few professionals who can support me).

In my course i loved the cutting side of hairdressing and not colouring. I have been trying to be enthusiastic about it but i just am not that interested! It is the long process of it all. So i guess my strength and enjoyment is in the cutting!

Anyway, i am thinking of going mobile as many people have requested me to cut their hair because they have been very happy with my service. Many people have asked me for haircuts even though i have not cut their hair yet simply because they feel comfortable with me, which is nice knowing that fact!

My important question is this: Do you guys reckon i can do my own mobile business doing cuts only? It would be cuts for everyone, kids included. Or do you think i would be at a massive disadvantage?

Thank you all in advance!

What you've gotta think is why would people want to make 2 hair appointments one with you and one with a hairdresser who colours?

Also just a thought but why go mobile instantly from qualifying? I think you need to be in a salon first to get you experience but that's just me

i am training my self i felt like this for a while with cutting but what i found out my self was it was me being under confident which is why i was not enjoying it and i just wanted to take the easier route of what i was already confident in.. once i had found my reason i kept at it and now i love it maybe this is whats holding you back just a thought.. but to make a viable buisness out of hairdressing i just cant see that focusing mainly in cutting is going to do that.. to me hairdressing is whole package colouring cutting perming etc !
and i do agree with the post above to work in a salon enviroment before going mobile.. colouring is one main thing in hairdressing your guarnteed to earn money from . you are more likely to regular clients because to have some one colour your hair you need to trust them and thats why once you have found somebody you trust your going to stick with them!
to me colouring is the best part of hairdressing yes it takes a long process but the results at the end of it are soo worth it you can literally transform a clients look like anything in life its not quick but the results you acheive from a good colour is worth it .. and on level 3 you will learn about colour correction etc sorry about the rant lol but i hope ive helped in sum way its just my view but i really feel just cutting will limit your self as a hairdresser

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Bluerinse - thank you for your reply. You are right, who would wanna book 2 hair appointments?

And i have seriously taken your advice on board and will be going to volunteer in my friends' salon. I am looking forward to that to gain more experience. We hardly had any clients come to our college. We had to literally grab them when they came lol! So this will be good for me.

Lea - thank you as well for your input. I think this may the case re confidence in colouring. Therefore i have decided to get some salon experience as well as continuing to do family and friends' hair. I have decided not to do Level 3 this year. I will consider the following year. I really cannot afford to pay for another year so soon! Will need to start making some money first. My best friend owns a salon, and she suggested i do hairdressing as a new career in the first place and she has been supporting me with advice etc up to now which has been a big help to me! Hoping i will start to love and enjoy colouring pretty soon, just like you did, thanks again, you guys have really helped me!:D

Some people don't enjoy colouring because it's a big subject, and the level 2 doesn't really cover much. Salon experience, and working alongside senior stylists may just inspire you.

Bluerinse - thank you for your reply. You are right, who would wanna book 2 hair appointments?

And i have seriously taken your advice on board and will be going to volunteer in my friends' salon. I am looking forward to that to gain more experience. We hardly had any clients come to our college. We had to literally grab them when they came lol! So this will be good for me.

Lea - thank you as well for your input. I think this may the case re confidence in colouring. Therefore i have decided to get some salon experience as well as continuing to do family and friends' hair. I have decided not to do Level 3 this year. I will consider the following year. I really cannot afford to pay for another year so soon! Will need to start making some money first. My best friend owns a salon, and she suggested i do hairdressing as a new career in the first place and she has been supporting me with advice etc up to now which has been a big help to me! Hoping i will start to love and enjoy colouring pretty soon, just like you did, thanks again, you guys have really helped me!:D

yes thats how it is at my college but ive been practiceing where i can on my lovely friends who are happy to be my guinea pigs lol.. and im sure it will be it took me a while to admit it to my self but when my friend at college mentioned it to me i finally realised and with a few helpful comnents on here made easier also i just rember always feeling like i didnt want to do it and then i remember one lady came in i thought im going to do my best and not worry and i totally enjoyed it and it was the best cut ive done so far .. i hope you have the same outcome as me and manage to come out enjoying it and love it i think if you keep trying and get the salon place you will see the diffrence just always think of the end goal in mind especially with colouring yes its a challange but the client will look amazing once finished and they will be happy. good luck i wish you all best make sure you keep us updated xx

Hey all, i am new on this board.

I just wanted some friendly advice. i have nearly finished my NVQ Level 2. I am not thinking of going into Level 3 but i want to do short private courses/one to one tuition. (i know a few professionals who can support me).

In my course i loved the cutting side of hairdressing and not colouring. I have been trying to be enthusiastic about it but i just am not that interested! It is the long process of it all. So i guess my strength and enjoyment is in the cutting!

Anyway, i am thinking of going mobile as many people have requested me to cut their hair because they have been very happy with my service. Many people have asked me for haircuts even though i have not cut their hair yet simply because they feel comfortable with me, which is nice knowing that fact!

My important question is this: Do you guys reckon i can do my own mobile business doing cuts only? It would be cuts for everyone, kids included. Or do you think i would be at a massive disadvantage?

Thank you all in advance!

I agree with all that is said. I think why you hate colouring so much is because you lack education within colouring; I would work hard to get to grips with it. Pick your favourite brand, I personally trained with Wella and found this to be easy...ish, start with your basic undertones and natural bases and then go from there. Experiment and make lots of mistakes as this is how you will learn, many times i turned blonde hair green from the wrong toners ahaha. Also I don’t think it would be beneficial to just do cuts alone, as I’m mobile I find most clients want the cut and colour in one appointment, they love having the full works. Find a good colourist that will take you through your training and you should slowly be able to get to grips with it, it’s not easy though, but it’s worth it in the end, prepare yourself for blood, sweat and lots of tears :) I remember being so scared of my first highlights that my hand was shaking so much it was weaving itself haha, I ended up in the stock room crying because I couldn’t get the foils to sit on the root :)

I agree with all that is said. I think why you hate colouring so much is because you lack education within colouring; I would work hard to get to grips with it. Pick your favourite brand, I personally trained with Wella and found this to be easy...ish, start with your basic undertones and natural bases and then go from there. Experiment and make lots of mistakes as this is how you will learn, many times i turned blonde hair green from the wrong toners ahaha. Also I don’t think it would be beneficial to just do cuts alone, as I’m mobile I find most clients want the cut and colour in one appointment, they love having the full works. Find a good colourist that will take you through your training and you should slowly be able to get to grips with it, it’s not easy though, but it’s worth it in the end, prepare yourself for blood, sweat and lots of tears :) I remember being so scared of my first highlights that my hand was shaking so much it was weaving itself haha, I ended up in the stock room crying because I couldn’t get the foils to sit on the root :)

i couldnt agree more! i actually started experimenting with my own hair but i loved it yes it went wrong a few times but got great experiance from it and its just amazing what colour can do x

also loads of people are raving about matrix and there courses and there not very expensive either im thinking about going on one! i think its worth a try.. and yes highlights are the hardest lol all i can keep doing is practicing im sure ill get perfect one day x

Hi All,

I'm just about to finish my level 2 hairdressing and love colouring now, we had a training day with Matrix and it all just clicked into place. To begin with I just didn't get it so did wonder if I would ever get it. Some of the girls still don't enjoy colouring where as I'm less confident on cutting. We have had 4 different teachers and it's just confused me as to how to do each cut as each has a slightly different take on it. I'm sure this is why I don't enjoy cutting as much because I struggle with it. However back to the colour it was after this one day Matrix course that I understood the art of colouring even though we had already done the theory of colour at college. I think it was down to the way it was explained how the systems work and the lady was lovely it really got you excited about how creative you can be with colour etc so maybe it's worth looking at attending a different one day course??

I'm gutted my course is coming to an end

Good luck with your course xx:)

Hi All,

I'm just about to finish my level 2 hairdressing and love colouring now, we had a training day with Matrix and it all just clicked into place. To begin with I just didn't get it so did wonder if I would ever get it. Some of the girls still don't enjoy colouring where as I'm less confident on cutting. We have had 4 different teachers and it's just confused me as to how to do each cut as each has a slightly different take on it. I'm sure this is why I don't enjoy cutting as much because I struggle with it. However back to the colour it was after this one day Matrix course that I understood the art of colouring even though we had already done the theory of colour at college. I think it was down to the way it was explained how the systems work and the lady was lovely it really got you excited about how creative you can be with colour etc so maybe it's worth looking at attending a different one day course??

exactly same boat as me with cutting etc .. glad im not alone :) and im thinking of doing a matrix course some time soon x

Some people don't enjoy colouring because it's a big subject, and the level 2 doesn't really cover much. Salon experience, and working alongside senior stylists may just inspire you.

Yes there is alot to learn, and we only started the topic in February so we had it all cramped in a few months with hardly any clients coming in at college (which doesn't help)!!

Yes i hope so the salon experience will help me learn lots! Thanks!:)

yes thats how it is at my college but ive been practiceing where i can on my lovely friends who are happy to be my guinea pigs lol.. and im sure it will be it took me a while to admit it to my self but when my friend at college mentioned it to me i finally realised and with a few helpful comnents on here made easier also i just rember always feeling like i didnt want to do it and then i remember one lady came in i thought im going to do my best and not worry and i totally enjoyed it and it was the best cut ive done so far .. i hope you have the same outcome as me and manage to come out enjoying it and love it i think if you keep trying and get the salon place you will see the diffrence just always think of the end goal in mind especially with colouring yes its a challange but the client will look amazing once finished and they will be happy. good luck i wish you all best make sure you keep us updated xx

It is all about practice isn't it? I just love cutting, i learnt it quickly. I know what you mean about being nervous when doing clients, i felt the same initially but i thought i have to just go for it, otherwise it will get worse! I started encouraging my classmates to start doing their first client because everyone was too scared. You need lots of confidence i guess!

Thanks for the best wishes, i will need it! I will keep you all updated too;)

Lol, it feels reassuring that i am not the only one feeling this way..you did well to come through it all..that is what i am scared of - messing up someone's hair colour. But then if i learn and know what i am doing then i have no reason to worry eh?! Thank you for making an effort to reply and all the replies are helping me lots and giving me the confidence to keep going all the way. In the end i know i will be so proud of my achievements! x

i couldnt agree more! i actually started experimenting with my own hair but i loved it yes it went wrong a few times but got great experiance from it and its just amazing what colour can do x

What a great idea! You are braver than me! lol

Hi All,

Hi Stacey - we had about 5 different teachers because our teacher was off sick since Jan. It really ruined the whole course..grr! Re cutting, we were shown different ways to cut by every teacher, but i just stuck with how we were originally taught as the end result is the same. I didn't want to get totally confused!

Definitely going to look into colouring courses now. And i plan to do more cutting courses. I love cutting too much to give it up.

What are your plans after Level 2 Stacey?

What a great idea! You are braver than me! lol

well i was scared at first but my mate was like just do it its only hair and i went for it yes i messed it up but had to loads of reasearch i got to the point where colours and numbers were just going through my head at nite lol went to a salon who made it worse then i stripped colour at home and then found i suited orange hair lol so stuck with that for a few weeks then found a good salon and went bright copper but i now know how they corrected my light roots dark ends as asked lots of questions .. i think it through me in to it and because i would never of dreamt of going copper before im so glad i did it and also i learnt so much in the process of it .. i still get tempted do my own hair every now and again but i have a few friends who dont mind being my guinea pig so i do my colour urgess on them lol .. only high lights but its good doing practice like this as you get more confident every time x

Latest posts

Back