Entertainment licence for nails!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Melaniexx

Reaction score
A few weeks ago someone from my local council came to work to inform me we needed to pay for an entertainment license in order to any form of nail treatment. I was off that day so didn’t manage to speak to them. However a friend has since informed me they are going to town with new rules and regulations. For instance to even do a basic shellac application you are required to have a nail desk with an extractor fan.

Has this happened in any other areas or is this just my local council? I realise that could be a good thing in terms of stopping just anyone doing nails however I also think its slightly too far for us professionals who are legit and still getting screwed over.

Local councils can set their own bylaws, independently and in addition to other regulations. They may differ from your nearest neighbouring town so you do need to check with the council that your premises are located in.
Certainly, the bigger municipal authorities have been doing this for some time and their regulations have often included a requirement for Nail Salons to use suitable dust extraction units.
I think your first step would be to contact your local council and ask for a copy of the regulations that you need to comply with. That should save you wasting money on anything unnecessary or that doesn’t comply with their regulations.

However, I’m not sure how supplying Nail services would require an Entertainments Licence (?) so could your member of staff have slightly misunderstood that they were also checking that you had purchased a valid Music Licence?

https://pplprs.co.uk/how-is-the-cost-calculated/

No it was an Entertainments License this is what is baffling me! He gave me the required paperwork too so I have it on paper. I was a bit apprehensive, although I will need to get in touch with them. It looks like I will need to stop doing nails as some of the requirements I will not be able to fulfil! It just seems ludicrous! My friend who I mentioned in a previous post are having to replace their windows in the salon to meet with these new regulations.

You need an entertainment licence if you are playing music in your salon, it’s to do with royalties for the performers
It’s around £150 for the year

Just to add - it’s nothing to do with the actual services you offer - that will be another license all together

Wow, I’ve just read the documents in the links. The fees charged are very high as it’s lumping nail salons in with music concerts.
Yes, it does come under their Entertainments License so maybe due to the way the department is funded.
It’s certainly very thorough (!) and obviously designed to close down NSS.
Most of the Nail Bar requirements are accepted good practice requirements but I’m surprised they class Pregnancy as a contra-indication that requires a Dr’s letter to approve. That seems like overkill.

Might be worth talking to a local councillor and pointing out that the fees alone are likely to result in you (and others) shutting shop and leading to job losses.

Wow, I’ve just read the documents in the links. The fees charged are very high as it’s lumping nail salons in with music concerts.
Yes, it does come under their Entertainments License so maybe due to the way the department is funded.
It’s certainly very thorough (!) and obviously designed to close down NSS.
Most of the Nail Bar requirements are accepted good practice requirements but I’m surprised they class Pregnancy as a contra-indication that requires a Dr’s letter to approve. That seems like overkill.

Might be worth talking to a local councillor and pointing out that the fees alone are likely to result in you (and others) shutting shop and leading to job losses.

Thanks so much for that. It is overkill! As I said I haven’t actually met with these people from the council but I know someone who has and has said they are extreme mental strict. They are having to put new windows in their salon to accomdats! It’s just ridiculous. Thanks for your response.

Latest posts

Back