Environmental health inspection

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clare louise galvin

Reaction score
Hi I've recently returned to my nail tech position after 6 years away . Yesterday our salon had our annual visit from environmental health . They visited our salon and the nail bar shops in the area .
I'm a bit confused and have asked for another meeting with them to discuss further the differences accepted between a salon and a high street nail bar (discount salon) .
She recommended for best practice each Client now have their own nail file or two labelled with their name supported by their record card . And record card updated with nail treatment .. products and colour used etc. Do any of you do this ? The nail bar in town doesn't do this ?
2nd recommendation : I hold an e-file qualification to cover myself . I was told not to use it as they do not support it and it damages the nail . She checked all my disposable collars but recommended it stick to hand files at all times even though I emphasised we only use on nails to file the acrylic . Nope not recommended . Nail bar in town only use e files !!!
3: she checked products and said if any ( her words), acrylic products contain mma we wouldn't be able to continue practicing as it isn't a recommended or supported product . We dont but the nail bar in town ???
She said she just visited and none of the products found support evidence that they use mma although she agrees the acrylic they use is too tough to manually file down .
My question is to you lovely professional techs.. has anyone else been given the same recommendations as I have ?
We sterilise and sanitise all tools and equipment in correct way and she was happy by the way. Thank you in advance . Xx
( nothing against nail bars either but unfair on the differences accepted by the authorities )

I really don’t understand your issue?
You have been given some guidance/recommendations regarding what your EHO believes is good practice. She will undoubtably have told the Nail Bar owners the same things when she visited their premises. You have not been treated any differently to the Nail Bar in your town.

Recommendations are not the same as directives.
It simply means you should take them into consideration before deciding how to proceed. If you decide that you don’t wish to follow any of the recommendations, that’s your choice. Just as the Nail Bar owners have made their choices.

Having record cards detailing treatments given for each client is obviously best practice and I’m surprised if you don’t already do this. Most insurance companies will expect you to keep accurate records because this will help you in the event of a claim against you.

I think you need to focus on building a reputation as a high class Nail Salon and forget about what the Nail Bar does or doesn’t do. The Nail Bar presumably caters to the cheap and speedy end of the market. You should focus on attracting clients who prefer to pay more for quality and pampering. Use high end products. Maybe offer a hand and arm massage as part of every service etc.

Remember the clients that do their grocery shopping in Waitrose and M&S wouldn’t dream of shopping in Iceland. They are not interested in bargain hunting. Focus on attracting those types of clients.

It sounds as though you actually have an EHO who is up to date on the industry - which makes a real change!!!
Her recommendations are forward thinking on how things will change in the next few years.

I doubt your EHO will be able to discuss anything specific in relation to her visit to the other nail bar. That's private info.

Re: recording products used - this is something that salons should have been doing for decades, so no excuse there. The reasons being - are for good continuation of treatment, highlighting/recording any issues & meeting insurance requirements.

I would suggest you gradually bring in the changes and use it as a promotion opportunity to show what high standards clients can expect from your salon.

Thank you for your reply .
Yes we do already have client card and are updated on every visit but I didn't have a nail file for each client and every time file used my record card wasn't updated with that info.
I'll continue my good practice

Thank you .. that's a good idea and I will do that . A large amount of files in my shopping basket today .

It sounds as though you actually have an EHO who is up to date on the industry - which makes a real change!!!
Her recommendations are forward thinking on how things will change in the next few years.

I doubt your EHO will be able to discuss anything specific in relation to her visit to the other nail bar. That's private info.

Re: recording products used - this is something that salons should have been doing for decades, so no excuse there. The reasons being - are for good continuation of treatment, highlighting/recording any issues & meeting insurance requirements.

I would suggest you gradually bring in the changes and use it as a promotion opportunity to show what high standards clients can expect from your salon.

Thank you for your replies and advice ladies I do appreciate them x

It sounds like you have an EHO who is more comfortable inspecting kitchens. Firstly her opinion about efiles is subjective and possibly personal, it certainly isn't a part of any local authority recommendation I've ever seen and it kind of displays a lack of knowledge on her part as to it's proper function and safe use.

Secondly it is considered by some to be an unsafe practice to store and reuse nail files as some types of bacteria can thrive in air tight storage containers. If she had a true understanding of best practice she would have advised that single use files be discarded not stored.

Amazingly, EHO officers are not required to have industry qualifications in their field of inspection. I suspect she wouldn't be able to recognise MMA if it were present.

Nod, smi!e and roll your eyes.

Thank you for your reply . I'm just going to carry on doing what I'm doing . X

Latest posts

Back