Epilators,,, Yes/No & which one?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lovelydama

Reaction score
I'm considering purchasing one for the simple fact that I HAVE to shave every single day and I've heard they are great for people who can't go a day without shaving (and not by choice!)Within hours of shaving or if I get chills right away, there goes my smooth shave. What do you girls think? I know they are painful, I've heard that enough. But aside from that what about the rest? How smooth is it afterwards? How bad are the ingrown hairs? Should it be used on the bikini area/underarms/face also? etc. PLEASE give me your opinions!! Thanks in advance...

lovelydama said:
I'm considering purchasing one for the simple fact that I HAVE to shave every single day and I've heard they are great for people who can't go a day without shaving (and not by choice!)Within hours of shaving or if I get chills right away, there goes my smooth shave. What do you girls think? I know they are painful, I've heard that enough. But aside from that what about the rest? How smooth is it afterwards? How bad are the ingrown hairs? Should it be used on the bikini area/underarms/face also? etc. PLEASE give me your opinions!! Thanks in advance...

I would go with a product like NADS.
Fantastic and you will not have to use it everyday and eventually, the hair growth may even stop altogether.
NADS is clean and easy, much better than those 'puling'machines which I think are torture!!

Where do we get NADS from??

I must same, the name is a bit dodgy...my older brother uses that terminology for an area of his nether-regions:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Mrs Geek said:
Where do we get NADS from??

I must same, the name is a bit dodgy...my older brother uses that terminology for an area of his nether-regions:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats hysterical - thanks Mrs Geek - morning was bad - you've made me laugh so hard - nads he he he

I have tried NADS as an alternative to waxing and I am sorry to say that I hated it.

I much prefer waxing or electrolysis (for small areas).

The epilators I have also tried and boy are they sore LOL.

Fab Freak said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: thats hysterical - thanks Mrs Geek - morning was bad - you've made me laugh so hard - nads he he he
Glad I made you laugh Freaky Geek - I just re-read it and laughed myself!!! I have emailed the link to the 'said brother' so he can be amused also!! ;)

i have experienced nads ( hair remover lol) found it hopeless for my bits.

and i have tried the rotary mowers as i call em and they are ok, painful but ok UNTIL ya get some skin caught in the blades like the bikini area :eek: i was walking like john wayne for a week ouch !

:D sorry hun but lmao at the thought of that,

Hi, just to let you know that i have an epilator, phillips-SATIN ICE one i think, it has an ICE PACK attachment that you clip on, Yes its was painfull the first time, would not recommended to anyone with who cant stand pain, i brought it just after xmas at tescos for 50 pounds, been using it once every couple of weeks now and the hair is getting finer, legs arent as smooth as shaving they feel the same as when i was waxed once! I have only had a few ingrowing hairs and i just got them out with twzeers not had any probs. Its not good for bikini area as its very easy to catch the skin- (i tried and yes it kills!!!!) wont be doing that again!
Also the one that i brought had a less pain garantee you can try for 60 days and if you are not happy just send your reciept and epilator and they will give you your money back!!(thats wot tempted me to buy one) if you want more info just pm me and i will try to find the box and let you know the exact details. Hope this helps Heather

:lol: Mrs Geek! not a particularly good name for a product that one eh! I tried those epilators years ago and never again...who would want to pluck one or two hairs out at a time when you can take a much larger patch away in one quick go with wax?!

hi i think nads is useless warm waxin has much better results

Well I have to say I only ever used NADS on mt legs and underarms but it was great for me ... however my hair is fine and not too much of it .... but it worked great and left a very smooth and long lasting result too.

what abou thtat new one advertised by babyliss tht looks liek a big round MOTORISED emery board thAt is described as BUFFING away the hairs????

anyone tried that one yet???

just ordered one of the babyliss sleek amd smooth will let you know how it goes

When the Epilady came out years ago I bought one and so did my sister and boy were they painful or what??????/ I found myself using it and blowing on the area at the same time like some demented person, it was just so painful you wouldn`t believe. We both used it for a few months and within weeks of each other we both ended up getting infections from ingrowing hairs where the hairs are pulled but not quite pulled straight out and therefore pinging back in. My sisters infection was a lot worse than mine and she now has an awful scar, needles to say we ditched the Epilady and have waxed ever since

Like Heather I also have the Philips Satin Ice Epillator. Best investment I ever made. I was getting seriously bad ingrowing hairs after years of waxing. Moved to doing the Epilator myself, can' fault it. I don't find it hurts. It comes with an ice block to numb the area to take away any pain, to be honest I used the first time but haven't bothered since, just do it on it's own. I do armpits and bikini line as it has a slow setting for corse hair and sensitive areas. Just think of the money you spend on getting them waxed yourself. You'd have paid the machine off in two months. Definately worth it, hairs are going away now too.

I've got a Silk-Epil eversoft. It's pretty good, sometime miss a few hairs if they are too short but whenever I used to get them waxed I'd always come home and find a patch they'd missed!!

OK for legs and bikini - obviously more ouch on bikini but bearable. Tried it on underarms but far too painful :cry:

Not so good on top of legs as hair seems to grow in all different directions and knees can be a bit tricky...

Like waxing though, as the hair grows back it's not all stubbly so you can put up with it growing a bit longer and it's finer when it grows back too.

Someone told me to take a couple of Ibuprofen an hour or so before hair removal as helps take the edge off the pain. Also ' the time of the month' is supposed to be more painful!

B

I also have a Phillips Satin Ice and i'm quite happy with it. I do my legs and underarms, but i prefer to do my bikini line with Veet wax (the one that can be heated in the microwave). When i use the eppilator i sometimes find that it breaks some hairs and 1 or 2 weeks later i already have some hairs stiking out when others haven't grown yet. When it's summer time and i'm going to the beach i just prefer to go and have it done by a pro. The salon that i go to is not very expensive and the lady absolutly hates hairs!! :D

I have NEVER shaved my legs I always had them waxed. As not all the hairs grow back with waxing I have fewer hairs now. I no longer need to wax them so I epilate them. I dont need to do it very often and it is not too painful certainly no worse than waxing.

Julie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back