Eponychium And Cuticle - Conflicting Definitions!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
Why do colleges teach this to their students when it is factually not correct? I don't understand it.

We started covering manicures last week and this is a quote from my college notes;
' The Eponychium - the cuticle at the base of the nail'

The exact same information is also given in beauty therapy books. 'Pterygium' is taught as excessive overgrowth of cuticle which should be gently pushed back.

Now I'm not going to kick up a fuss at college. I have mentioned this to my tutor and although empathetic, the notes are the notes and our tutor has to teach what is in our notes, as this is the CIBTAC requirement. So when we were tested yesterday, I had to incorrectly lable a diagram as 'eponychium' for 'cuticle' and 'cuticle' for 'eponychium' (2 different lables) although in our notes they are one and the same :confused:??

Good thing I know the difference but it does not help somebody who is learning this for the first time.

I posted somethign similar a few months back Tracey, on my VTCT level 2 nail treatments course i was so confused, because what id learnt on here, on my other nail course an din my books, was different to what the tutor was teaching us, i also spoke to her, and she didnt believe me!! i brought some books in to show her and tbh she just brushed me aside, so i too had to lable the diagram wrongly, to pass my test

i must admit when ive heard geeg, mrs geek and some of the others question these NVQ and VTCT type qualifications,they often say it depends on the tutor or college etc, i did wonder,
now ive got to admit i agree, these are always the type of qualifications people expect you to have, but are they actually worth anything?, im sure some tutors keep themselves updated etc but so far the two i had were more than useless to be honest and i think i only got the good result that i did, because of what help i got on here, and also putting down on paper what they wanted me too, not what is correct!!

never mind hun, as long as you know, but the others on your course, might not and then end up not knowing the correct terminology etc

:hug:

I posted somethign similar a few months back Tracey, on my VTCT level 2 nail treatments course i was so confused, because what id learnt on here, on my other nail course an din my books, was different to what the tutor was teaching us, i also spoke to her, and she didnt believe me!! i brought some books in to show her and tbh she just brushed me aside, so i too had to lable the diagram wrongly, to pass my test

i must admit when ive heard geeg, mrs geek and some of the others question these NVQ and VTCT type qualifications,they often say it depends on the tutor or college etc, i did wonder,
now ive got to admit i agree, these are always the type of qualifications people expect you to have, but are they actually worth anything?, im sure some tutors keep themselves updated etc but so far the two i had were more than useless to be honest and i think i only got the good result that i did, because of what help i got on here, and also putting down on paper what they wanted me too, not what is correct!!

never mind hun, as long as you know, but the others on your course, might not and then end up not knowing the correct terminology etc

:hug:
Well all is not lost, lol. Our first manicure lesson involved being split into small groups and researching different areas of the nail structure. I got the 'eponychium' so made a point (after consulting with my tutor to see if it was ok to add my two pence) of informing the class that the info in our notes was incorrect. I even drew a simple diagram on the board to show them what I meant.

My tutor agrees that the eponychium and cuticle are not the same, but if I want to pass this course, I have to follow the notes as stipulated by CIBTAC.

I just have to chew wasps and grit my teeth as you did Nicky. I'm chewing and I'm gritting. lol:D.

I would think that it's harder to be taught the correct information, then have to 'unlearn' it to pass the course, rather than to be taught incorrectly and then learn the correct terminology afterwards.
I don't envy you!

I did my VTCT last year and we were taught the same thing, along with loads of other things like to give our brush a good old soak in acetone before we started applying the liquid and powder, and that filing the natural nail while blending is okay as long as you're gentle!! arghh makes me cringe now!

I'll give a little "insider info" on this- We (educators) keep current, but it takes approximately 5-7 years between vetting and actual publication and distribution of our approved texts. I try to give my students an advantage- I teach them the correct and current information, and when they get ready to sit for exam we make sure they have the "correct" exam information.

Unfortunately it's a hoop we must jump through to obtain our license, with out it we cannot practice our profession here. I'll play their silly game (until I can get it changed) and make certain my students have the right info for the real world and the testing world.

I would think that it's harder to be taught the correct information, then have to 'unlearn' it to pass the course, rather than to be taught incorrectly and then learn the correct terminology afterwards.
I don't envy you!

This is what worried me Sandi. That I would learn bad habits! Fortunately I feel I am disciplined enough to not do this where nails are concerned. l really had to bite my lip though whilst labelling the diagram.

We have not fully discussed nail diseases and disorders, so I am really going to have to clamp my jaw when 'pterygium' is discussed :irked:!

I'll give a little "insider info" on this- We (educators) keep current, but it takes approximately 5-7 years between vetting and actual publication and distribution of our approved texts. I try to give my students an advantage- I teach them the correct and current information, and when they get ready to sit for exam we make sure they have the "correct" exam information.

My tutor has been understanding of my comments in class re this issue. I also understand that, like you, she has a job to do and that is to teach us the syllabus, be it that a couple of small areas may differ from what we know to be factual.

Unfortunately it's a hoop we must jump through to obtain our license, with out it we cannot practice our profession here. I'll play their silly game (until I can get it changed) and make certain my students have the right info for the real world and the testing world.

My tutor has been understanding of my comment in class re this issue. I also understand that, like you, she has a job to do, which is to teach the studentsthe required syllabus. I don't hold it against her. I just don't understand how there can be two so totally opposing definitions on something like this.

I have come accross exactly the same thing on an ITEC Course I have started , but I am also surprised that after 3 weeks of doing manicure the ony mention of sanatisation is to place metal tools into barbacide, and to wipe clients hands with surgical spirit on arrival - when a class member asked about files we were told that they were fine to use on all clients (no mention of sanatisation) untill they wore out. Like everyone else I am not going to make a fuss, just want to pass course, and pleased I have had better education from the manufacturers in the past.

I agree with you all wholeheartedly. How about this, then! On my VTCT course our tutor (who, by the way, wasn't passionate about nails - only makeup), told us not to be too fussy with sculptors in our tests because --- wait for it --- they aren't used in the industry these days!!! :irked: Since coming on here, thank God, I now know differently!!! And, I'm having to pay to take further training!!

I have come accross exactly the same thing on an ITEC Course I have started , but I am also surprised that after 3 weeks of doing manicure the ony mention of sanatisation is to place metal tools into barbacide, and to wipe clients hands with surgical spirit on arrival - when a class member asked about files we were told that they were fine to use on all clients (no mention of sanatisation) untill they wore out. Like everyone else I am not going to make a fuss, just want to pass course, and pleased I have had better education from the manufacturers in the past.

that is interesting cause for mani's and pedi's we were taught at college that you should not use files as they couldnt be sanitised in between clients (even though we know you can buy ones that can). We were told that we had to use disposable emery boards that either had to be thrown away after each client or give them the emery board to take home.

I thing that some colleges are quite slack on hygiene and sanitisation where some go really over board to make sure you get the basics right.

lmao . . . when I saw this thread title I thought you were making a statement and I was thinking, aw no, I thought Tracey would have known better than that . . . :lol: :lol:

This is what worried me Sandi. That I would learn bad habits! Fortunately I feel I am disciplined enough to not do this where nails are concerned. l really had to bite my lip though whilst labelling the diagram.

We have not fully discussed nail diseases and disorders, so I am really going to have to clamp my jaw when 'pterygium' is discussed :irked:!

My tutor has been understanding of my comment in class re this issue. I also understand that, like you, she has a job to do, which is to teach the studentsthe required syllabus. I don't hold it against her. I just don't understand how there can be two so totally opposing definitions on something like this.
The 5-7 years between vetting info and actually getting the info into the hands of educators. I wish I could say all educators are dedicated and keep up to the minute with their knowledge (or are willing to accept new ideas) but that isn't always the case.

If I could change your tests, handouts and texts updated to be correct, I would, that's something that has to be done by you. Learn as much as you can from your educator (she'll at least be able to get you through your certification) and then rely on real time (manufacturer led) education.

Most colleges and schools have a "process" required in getting texts- lets just say it takes time...lots of it. (not all schools are fortunate enough to select and approve new books when they come out) It will take time for the stock of out of date material to be used and new material to be introduced.

Take advantage of the wealth of information at your finger tips, this site provides more educational opportunity than most technicians or stylists could possibly attend in a year of full time class.

Truly wish I could help more there...I'm working on it full out here! State Board watch out....

Latest posts

Back