Errrr - trashed nails - what to do

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bezza

Reaction score
Hey all

I am at a loss with what to do with my own nails! I started my foundation course (not with CND) at the beginning of the year, finished in March and my nails are still really recovering. The girl that was practicing on me on the course was a little over keen with the file, needless to say - my nails are trashed. They have little splits in the free edge and are really really thin. They bend anytime I touch anything! Because they are so short they also look like I bite my nails (which I don't).

I was wearing popits over tips for about a week and this weekend three just snapped clean off at the apex area. I've taken them all off now because the one's on the other hand were too thin too.

Anyway - what should I do? Shellac won't look too good because my nail beds are so short and I don't think it would fill the jagged edges! I don't wanna do a full set of l&p coz it takes me about 3 1/2 hrs on myself!! I go on holiday on Thursday so don't want to look trampy whilst away!!

What would you do?!

Book in at a local salon with a good rep, pay to get a set of nails done, you may even learn some interesting things while your there.

I would absolutely Shellac them. File the free edge down short so there is no tears and Shellac them!, making sure you cap the free edge. Not only will it protect your damaged nails, it will look amazing for the duration of your holiday.

My daughter is a nail biter (I know you are not! but...) and she was the very first person I put Shellac on, guess what?....no bitten nails. It looks fabulous on short nails. Try it and see ;)

I would absolutely Shellac them. File the free edge down short so there is no tears and Shellac them!, making sure you cap the free edge. Not only will it protect your damaged nails, it will look amazing for the duration of your holiday.

My daughter is a nail biter (I know you are not! but...) and she was the very first person I put Shellac on, guess what?....no bitten nails. It looks fabulous on short nails. Try it and see ;)

Great advice but the tears go above the hyponichium on three of my nails!! Eek!!

I think the advice from Lil Miss Buffit is great but there's nobody in Leicester that I can think of that is reputable!! I contacted a couple of people from here but I think they're reluctant to do it - I totally understand though! And there's no way in a kerbillion years I'm going to a NSS!!!

Give Shellac a go as Stoney said. It's does not even need to have the shine removed & it will give a little bit of strength to your nails.
That would be my choice if my nails were as bad as yours - even with the tears beyond the hyponichium. You could use a small amount of nail glue if they were splitting and painfull before application.

Hey all

I am at a loss with what to do with my own nails! I started my foundation course (not with CND) at the beginning of the year, finished in March and my nails are still really recovering. The girl that was practicing on me on the course was a little over keen with the file, needless to say - my nails are trashed. They have little splits in the free edge and are really really thin. They bend anytime I touch anything! Because they are so short they also look like I bite my nails (which I don't).

I was wearing popits over tips for about a week and this weekend three just snapped clean off at the apex area. I've taken them all off now because the one's on the other hand were too thin too.

Anyway - what should I do? Shellac won't look too good because my nail beds are so short and I don't think it would fill the jagged edges! I don't wanna do a full set of l&p coz it takes me about 3 1/2 hrs on myself!! I go on holiday on Thursday so don't want to look trampy whilst away!!

What would you do?!

Personally if I was you I would either pay to get them done or do them yourself. You could just do them in clear or pink and have the natural look or even apply a polish over the L & p that way they wont take you as long, if you are only doing clear or pink. Abi

Hi,
I'm just outside Leicester if you want someone to give you a hand (scuse the pun) be please to help. If your'e interested pm me:D

Thanks for all your advice lovelies!! I have gone with the shellac and whilst they're incredibly short, they don't hurt every time I bang them!! Patience I guess until they grow again. Like weeds hopefully geeg!!

Shellac is absolutely perfect for nails in the condition of yours. You can even apply another coat of top coat for a little extra 'oomph' (if you know what I mean). :D

Have a great holiday and don't worry, short and neat is very in and every few days file a little on the free edge to help you nails grow right through like 'weeds' lol.

Hey all

What would you do?!

When ever my nails need TLC I have Bio Sculpture on.
The split ones I would sculpt and/or use silk for extra strength.

Shellac Them x
Shellac is perfect for your recovering nails.
Enjoy your hols
Lotsa luv x x x x

Shellac is absolutely perfect for nails in the condition of yours. You can even apply another coat of top coat for a little extra 'oomph' (if you know what I mean). :D

Have a great holiday and don't worry, short and neat is very in and every few days file a little on the free edge to help you nails grow right through like 'weeds' lol.

Just 2 questions.
1. Is it ok to file Shellac free edge in between app. Would filing free edge affect the adesion of Shellac to the free edge.

2. When applying top coat is it ok to put straight on top of previous top coat or do you need to buff slightly for them to key

Just 2 questions.
1. Is it ok to file Shellac free edge in between app. Would filing free edge affect the adesion of Shellac to the free edge.

I file my Shellac nails every 3-4 days ... it does not affect adhesion at all.

2. When applying top coat is it ok to put straight on top of previous top coat or do you need to buff slightly for them to key

It is OK to just apply straight on top of the previous top coat.

I never thought of putting on 2 top coats for extra strength - Thanks Gigi!!

Many thanks for the advice.
Can't wait to get my Shellac

Can I just confirm that you apply the topcoat on top of topcoat without taking off the dispersion layer or do I take off the disp layer. Also I thought that filing the free edge of a shellac would take off the capping and therefore it would chip. Can someone please confirm if this correct. Im new to shellac and want to make sure that when my kit comes I do it correct as my nails are very thin due to being a nail biter and want to grow them with a little added strength. Thanks.

Can I just confirm that you apply the topcoat on top of topcoat without taking off the dispersion layer or do I take off the disp layer. Also I thought that filing the free edge of a shellac would take off the capping and therefore it would chip. Can someone please confirm if this correct. Im new to shellac and want to make sure that when my kit comes I do it correct as my nails are very thin due to being a nail biter and want to grow them with a little added strength. Thanks.

I would leave the inhibition layer on if applying a second THIN coat .. but I have done it both ways and not noticed a difference in performance on myself.

As regards the CAP. I file mine off within a few days and have never had chippng (and I do rather allot of typing and other chores).
Only if Shellac is applied too thick will it chip so keep it 'thin to win'.

Listen is is worth pointing out that Shellac is not made of steel. If clients batter it then something is going to happen to it (it is no different with enhancements, if they bash them they will break them).
With average care and attention, The shellac shine won't dull and the Shellac wont wear off or chip for a full 2 weeks, or in many cases longer. What other polish colour coat will do that for your manicure and pedicure clients??

Latest posts

Back