Essential Nails Complete Nail Technician course

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LucieLocket

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am looking to do an EN course (Complete Nail Technician) and have been doing research into it, as such this is how I came upon Beauty Geek.
I have found very conflicting reviews, and was wondering if anyone has completed the courses when they were unsure about doing them, and what they thought?
My only reservation is the cost- currently £699 for Spa Manicure and Pedicure, Gel Nail Extensions and UV Gel Polish- is this reasonable?
I'm not interested in getting into the 'Politics' of home based learning verses an actual physical course (I have exhausted every avenue of going to college to complete this and my only option is Home Learning)
I am not looking to work in a Salon, I would like to do mobile nails in my spare time.I would really appreciate any guidance and advice.
Thanks in advance :)

Essential Nails courses have been around for years and years, they were available when I first trained over 12 years ago, and I remember them being around well before that, so from a longevity perspective they are one of the older players in the field of nails. They must be doing something right or they wouldn't still be around.

The course content appears very good, it's had over hauls in training and methods many times over the years that I know of, which can only be a good thing. So I believe it's a good introduction to the world of nails....however....and I know you don't want to discuss the 'politics' of home learn but it's a basic fact you can't ignore, or if you do, you do at your own detriment, and that is there is no substitute for 'hands on' teaching, especially in nails.

With a home learn course, you can learn all the book work, but you can't be shown how to do something, yes there are DVDs, etc. but physically being in the same room with a tutor who can watch you work, show you where you are going wrong in absolutely invaluable. That's something you can't learn from videos or books. If you are making a mistake, there is no-one to correct it, so you will keep making that mistake, even perfecting it and it becomes habit which can cause issues later on which will require more training.

It's very easy to set separated from good, hard earned money when it comes to nail training, no-one on here wants to see that happen which is why we get so uptight about one-day training courses, cheap training and those trying to get free learning from those of us who have spent hundreds, if not thousands on our skills. We don't want anyone spending hundreds on a course then needing to spend more on 1-2-1 training because they can't get to grips with something that could so easily have been remedied in 'real life' training.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's a good course, but don't expect it to be all the training you need, you will more than likely need top-ups, plenty of techs on here have had 'excellent' or 'outstanding' on their course work, but can't get a set of nails to stay on a client.

Good luck with your new venture whichever way you go.

Essential Nails courses have been around for years and years, they were available when I first trained over 12 years ago, and I remember them being around well before that, so from a longevity perspective they are one of the older players in the field of nails. They must be doing something right or they wouldn't still be around.

The course content appears very good, it's had over hauls in training and methods many times over the years that I know of, which can only be a good thing. So I believe it's a good introduction to the world of nails....however....and I know you don't want to discuss the 'politics' of home learn but it's a basic fact you can't ignore, or if you do, you do at your own detriment, and that is there is no substitute for 'hands on' teaching, especially in nails.

With a home learn course, you can learn all the book work, but you can't be shown how to do something, yes there are DVDs, etc. but physically being in the same room with a tutor who can watch you work, show you where you are going wrong in absolutely invaluable. That's something you can't learn from videos or books. If you are making a mistake, there is no-one to correct it, so you will keep making that mistake, even perfecting it and it becomes habit which can cause issues later on which will require more training.

It's very easy to set separated from good, hard earned money when it comes to nail training, no-one on here wants to see that happen which is why we get so uptight about one-day training courses, cheap training and those trying to get free learning from those of us who have spent hundreds, if not thousands on our skills. We don't want anyone spending hundreds on a course then needing to spend more on 1-2-1 training because they can't get to grips with something that could so easily have been remedied in 'real life' training.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that it's a good course, but don't expect it to be all the training you need, you will more than likely need top-ups, plenty of techs on here have had 'excellent' or 'outstanding' on their course work, but can't get a set of nails to stay on a client.

Good luck with your new venture whichever way you go.

Hi Trinity,

Thank you for you reply:)

You are very right in saying mistakes cannot be corrected and may turn into bad habits- this is one of my concerns. I suppose it is a risk I will have to take.

I also agree that I am highly likely to require more hands on training later down the line, I am hoping that by doing the EN course it may help change my circumstances enough to enable me to do a full time course in the time ahead ... or maybe the course I originally wanted to do in the evenings will be available .

Thank you for your reply and guidance, it has been taken on board!!! :):)

Hi - I did 3 EN courses late last year Mani/Pedi & UV Gel. Having been out of work raising my family for a number of years & being in my mid forties & having a complete career change from Admin I didn't feel confident going to college doing a course. The Mani & Pedi courses I enjoyed and as you get DVD training, they are great to go back to when you have clients asking for these treatments & you want to refresh yourself.
The Gel polish brand EN use is Gelaze and this is where I had my concerns - I didn't feel it was a good enough quality product to use on paying clients - so I then did a conversion course with Gelish (Hand & Nail Harmony) and now use their products. I have unlimited support from their (closed) FB page & my Educator is only a phone call away, so from a personal view I would say the very basics can be learnt from but you need to research & pick your brands very wisely because people are paying for quality service & product and that's what they will expect.

Hi - I did 3 EN courses late last year Mani/Pedi & UV Gel. Having been out of work raising my family for a number of years & being in my mid forties & having a complete career change from Admin I didn't feel confident going to college doing a course. The Mani & Pedi courses I enjoyed and as you get DVD training, they are great to go back to when you have clients asking for these treatments & you want to refresh yourself.
The Gel polish brand EN use is Gelaze and this is where I had my concerns - I didn't feel it was a good enough quality product to use on paying clients - so I then did a conversion course with Gelish (Hand & Nail Harmony) and now use their products. I have unlimited support from their (closed) FB page & my Educator is only a phone call away, so from a personal view I would say the very basics can be learnt from but you need to research & pick your brands very wisely because people are paying for quality service & product and that's what they will expect.
Hi Sez39,
Thank you for your email. I am also in Admin & want a career change! :)
Your email was very interesting, as I have not heard (or thought) the quality of the products may not be up to scratch!
Thank you for letting me know your thoughts, although I have read a lot of posts on this subject (positive and negative) , they are all from years ago, so it's good to read new comments. :)

Anytime x

Hi Trinity,

Thank you for you reply:)

You are very right in saying mistakes cannot be corrected and may turn into bad habits- this is one of my concerns. I suppose it is a risk I will have to take.

I also agree that I am highly likely to require more hands on training later down the line, I am hoping that by doing the EN course it may help change my circumstances enough to enable me to do a full time course in the time ahead ... or maybe the course I originally wanted to do in the evenings will be available .

Thank you for your reply and guidance, it has been taken on board!!! :):)

It looks like you are going in to this with your eyes wide open and that can only be a good thing, nails is hard, people think it's fun and easy and a bit of a side-line, anyone can do it. Well, yes they can, but it's a whole different game when you start charging people who are expecting something to show for their hard earned money. Dodgy nails, lifting, breaking, peeling, chipping, etc. is common for all of us, both in the beginning and ongoing sometimes, it's hard to stay positive when faced with complaining clients when you know your training is up to scratch, but if you've gone into business on a rocky basis it's near on impossible.

There's a lot of content in that course for £700, my basic foundation course with CND 12 years ago was £800 and it only dealt with L&P nail extensions (a manicure qualification was a mandatory prerequist), I don't know the costs of current courses but to learn 4 seperate skills for approx. £150 each seems a little on the cheap side. I'd expect to pay that for a 1-2-1 for 3/4 hours with a tutor, not for a whole skill set.

I really don't want to put you off training, I know it's hard with a family, and bills to pay, but 'pay cheap, pay twice' has never ever been more relevant than in nails training.

Why not start with the basic manicure/pedicure training with EN and then see if you can find a hands on course with a quality brand that you will use in the future?

It looks like you are going in to this with your eyes wide open and that can only be a good thing, nails is hard, people think it's fun and easy and a bit of a side-line, anyone can do it. Well, yes they can, but it's a whole different game when you start charging people who are expecting something to show for their hard earned money. Dodgy nails, lifting, breaking, peeling, chipping, etc. is common for all of us, both in the beginning and ongoing sometimes, it's hard to stay positive when faced with complaining clients when you know your training is up to scratch, but if you've gone into business on a rocky basis it's near on impossible.

There's a lot of content in that course for £700, my basic foundation course with CND 12 years ago was £800 and it only dealt with L&P nail extensions (a manicure qualification was a mandatory prerequist), I don't know the costs of current courses but to learn 4 seperate skills for approx. £150 each seems a little on the cheap side. I'd expect to pay that for a 1-2-1 for 3/4 hours with a tutor, not for a whole skill set.

I really don't want to put you off training, I know it's hard with a family, and bills to pay, but 'pay cheap, pay twice' has never ever been more relevant than in nails training.
Yes, I am trying to keep my mind open and I also understand that having the qualification does not necessarily mean you will be fully competent on all levels- it's more of an ongoing project for me.

My only experience is doing my own Gel polish for the last 3 years. Whereas I know this is world away from completing a set of nails on a paying client, I do think it has given me a small insight into what is required (in a sense that my gel nails always last a full 2 weeks without chipping, lifting etc) for a successful set.

Now you put it like that, it does seem rather cheap- the college course I wanted to do was £299 + £130 for the kit, this is why I questioned the price. On having read hundreds of reviews I think it will be o.k though- the price I have paid is a 'special offer' (;);)) and usually would cost nearer £1000 if purchasing the units separately.

You aren't putting me off at all, I think it is invaluable to take advice from people who have 'been there and done it' and it would be ignorant of me to shrug any advice and tips off without taking them int consideration. The only reason I have chosen Home Learning is because it's my very last option, I was so looking forward to going to a course and learning with other people, so trying to make the best of my circumstances and look towards the future :D

Why not start with the basic manicure/pedicure training with EN and then see if you can find a hands on course with a quality brand that you will use in the future?
Hi AcidPerm,
Thank you for your email. That's a really good idea, I will keep it in mind! (would post a Thumbs up, but don't know how ;)) :)

Hi AcidPerm,
Thank you for your email. That's a really good idea, I will keep it in mind! (would post a Thumbs up, but don't know how ;)) :)

You can 'like' the post for a geek thats helped, we use it a lot as a kind of thumbs up/I agree/like rather than post a reply which can make someone think there are more new useful replies when they're actually just fluff replies.

I you look just under your smilies in post #10 there is a thumb and a like button, click on the like word and the Geek will get a notification that you 'like' their post

I done one day course at a product etc supplier and tbh wasn't up to par at all! I was told I can't fail the course which tbh I didn't like as I wanted to pass because I was good not because I paid!

I then went onto essential nails because there was no decent training I live way far up Scotland. Although have since found some training 1-2-1 but didn't know a thing about nails what was good what was bad etc!

Yes you can get into bad habits by doing home course but as long when you work on clients you follow health/safety. Proper prep. I do not follow the three ball method for acrylic because I have found my own way and have had no problem at all with nails except I did use essential nails cuticle cream to soften cuticle and removed it proper but did cause lifting!

You do two cards prep like buffing off shine, apply tip, overlay, overlay that is filed and then polished. The second card all different nails are used as with the kit get 5 different shape nails one thumb,pink nail, high c curve nail. Then product and skill knowledge questions.

I did acrylic and maintenance course. I failed because my skills wasn't that great and I am thrilled because it did show me where I was going wrong. Like too much product at cuticle. Apex not high enough. Sidewalls not streamlined enough. I have since passed. I passed one course with the highest level passing! I have since done gel overlay passed that too! I am now doing acrylic art master and mani + pedi. I plan to do sculpting and airbrushing.

Although I do want to go to nail team for 1-2-1 pink and white training as I want to compete.

Training is what you make it what works for me might not work for you!

I found essential nails very informative!

I done hairdressing at college for total 3 years too so I used the skills from there for consultations etc. I now have my own business yes it's slowly building but I have a few regulars and more interested although I had to take s break for health reasons but back at what I love the most. Although durning my courses I practiced on friends and family so I had people to work on too as training hand is no way near like a person but it's good for learning on!

Happy learning [emoji4][emoji140]

I mean one card is like step by step like prep etc! X

I have completed acrylic, gel polish, maintaining nails, gel polish nail art and found all to be good value as all materials included. The hand trainer comes in handy to practice and try new things out, i would just say make sure you practice as much on real models as plastic and real nails are very different.
I paid around £150 for a day course working on each others hands doing gel nails (uv) just to test how much i know, i learned nothing new.
I would learn the basics and practice until you perfect techniques one at a time eg acrylic or gel as i found once completing the courses ..working on real hands was like learning all over again.

I have completed acrylic, gel polish, maintaining nails, gel polish nail art and found all to be good value as all materials included. The hand trainer comes in handy to practice and try new things out, i would just say make sure you practice as much on real models as plastic and real nails are very different.
I paid around £150 for a day course working on each others hands doing gel nails (uv) just to test how much i know, i learned nothing new.
I would learn the basics and practice until you perfect techniques one at a time eg acrylic or gel as i found once completing the courses ..working on real hands was like learning all over again.
Thanks Amanda,
I was planning to inflict my skills upon my nearest & dearest as much as possible :)
Xx

Hi, I know this is an old post but I just wanted to know Lucielocket if you decided to go ahead with the online course and how you got on? x

Hi, I know this is an old post but I just wanted to know Lucielocket if you decided to go ahead with the online course and how you got on? x

Unfortunately, LucieLocket hasn't visited this website since September 2016.

Latest posts

Back