Quantcast

Essential Nails Training - Am I heading in the right direction?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

Jay

Member
Joined
Sep 1, 2004
Messages
7
Reaction score
0
Location
Bedfordshire
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to all this but i'm hoping you'll be able to give me some advice.

I've just paid for the Essential Nails full gel course which i'm looking forward to starting, and intended after gaining my certificate in that to continue and purchase and complete the other courses from Essential Nails i.e. the Acrylic course, the Maintenance and the Airbrushing courses. My plan was to get all my certificates from Essential Nails and then practice on my 3 willing(!) sisters and their 3 adult daughters before being let loose on the general public, as i totally understand that the nail trainer is not the same as a human hand. I have been reassured by Essential Nails that the certificates given on passing is more than enough to get insurance and start earning, as they said the course work is even more detailed then a NVQ 3 in Nail Technology.

I really want to do well in all this and be the best i can be so I'll be very grateful if anyone can tell me if i'm heading in the right direction continuing with the other Essential Nails courses or should i just complete the gel course (i've just paid for it so will have to complete it now!) and then train somewhere else? I am working full time as well so can't go to college.

Also when or if new laws come in would i be able to gain a NVQ qualification after training with essential nails? and what does NVQ training involve, cost, time, etc etc. Really as you can guess i haven't a clue about any of this.

sorry this is such a long message but my head is filled with so many questions!

Thank you to all.
Jay
xx
 

jacqui

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2004
Messages
841
Reaction score
8
Location
gateshead/North East
hi jay,

i have just completed the acrylic tip and overlay course, just waitng for results.
i was going to do the maintenance course next then go onto the others, but now after reading some of the posts about the home learn, i just dont know what to do.
i also have work and kids, so college is out.
so i would also be grateful if anyone has any ideas on what to do next.
i really want to carry on with the training even if it means doing all the en courses to get an idea of all the sytems then gaining more qualifications by going to college later.
any help is appreciated
 

bimbogeri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
1,197
Reaction score
61
Location
East Sussex
I originally looked at Essential Nails for a few reasons:
One - I wanted to learn in my own time, and to be able to take as many weeks or months doing a course if I felt I needed that amount of time, rather than 'having' to do it in a shorter amount of time

Two - before talking to some of the wonderful people on this site I have to admit I was unconvinced that a 3 day course would teach me all I need to know.
Three - the price - approx £320 compared to around £500

I've now decided to go for a non-home-learn course, but I wouldn't automatically say they are the be-all and end-all. I think how good a tech you are comes down to your trainer, and yourself. I fully believe that you could be a fantastic enthusiatic person with a great deal of talent who could do a home learn course with wonderful help from people and make sure you practice on friends and family and not just the nail trainer and become a brilliant tech just as easily as you could do all the CND or EZFlow or Star Nails etc training in the world but have a very poor teacher and be sloppy: you would both have certificates at the end, and people may turn their noses up at a home learn qualification, but who would be the better tech in the end?
I know the up-coming EZ Flow courses in Crawley (sorry Jess if you're already overbooke or if I'm informing wrong!), for example, start on a Sunday, so hopefully they would fit in if you have children that you need someone to look after, or a 9-5 job during the week, so you may find that courses near you will actually fit in with your timetable. My local Sally's has a board up advertising Star Nails courses, or you could try the EZ Flow or CND sites (look in the industry links section). Also, K-Sa-Ra, NailOrder, and The Nail Company all offer training local to their centres.
What I have learned from this site is the only way you will find what course is for you is research, research, research and asking lots of questions! I personally wonder if anyone could answer this one for me: if you do, say l&p training, gain your certificate and insurance, are you then also insured for manicure and pedicure and nail art, should you do it, or do you need certificates for every service you want to offer in order to be insured to do it?
 

natalie day

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 15, 2004
Messages
93
Reaction score
1
Location
Hertfordshire - Hemel Hempstead
There was some discussion on this subject yesterday. I think the general outcome was that the Essential Nail Courses are great as a starter course but further training is essential as it would be with anything. Training must never stop after one course and you can never know enough. All I would say it research as many courses as possible and ask people who have the done the courses before for their honest opionion. I wish I had found this site before I decided on my nail training as I would certainly not have trained with the company I did.
I also understand though it is difficult as courses are very expensive and if you have other commitments as well it can be difficult. I have spent a lot of money trying to better my training since my first course. I believe if I had done training with a more reputable company in the first place then it would have saved me money in the long run as I would not have needed to pay out for 'better' training.
For the record, I would like to add that I have not trained with Essential Nails so I cannot comment on how their training works.
Hope this helps.
 

mum

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 3, 2003
Messages
2,373
Reaction score
282
Location
Hertford and London
Hi Jay
I am going to post a new thread later that I hope will explain about the NVQ a bit and may answer your questions on your course having more detail and requirements for qualifications.
As to your plans, you will probably be best reading some of the many threads about training.
Also, if you speak to anyone from EN ask them to come onto the site and answer some of the queries. That would be so helpful for so many people.

Good luck in whatever you do

Marian
 

Sammie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
136
Reaction score
1
Location
Portsmouth, Hampshire
Answer to your question (bimbogeri): When you take out nail tech insurance it does cover manicure and pedicure, but if you are thinking of going into these then i suggest that you do a manicure and pedicure course and gain your certificate. This way you know how to properly carry out these services. If you didn't do a course in man and ped and you decieded anyway to offer these services and you cut them either with cuticle knife/nippers or anything like that and they went to sue you then you're knackered coz you wouldn't have done an approiate course to gain the qualification.

Sammie


bimbogeri said:
I originally looked at Essential Nails for a few reasons:
One - I wanted to learn in my own time, and to be able to take as many weeks or months doing a course if I felt I needed that amount of time, rather than 'having' to do it in a shorter amount of time

Two - before talking to some of the wonderful people on this site I have to admit I was unconvinced that a 3 day course would teach me all I need to know.
Three - the price - approx £320 compared to around £500

I've now decided to go for a non-home-learn course, but I wouldn't automatically say they are the be-all and end-all. I think how good a tech you are comes down to your trainer, and yourself. I fully believe that you could be a fantastic enthusiatic person with a great deal of talent who could do a home learn course with wonderful help from people and make sure you practice on friends and family and not just the nail trainer and become a brilliant tech just as easily as you could do all the CND or EZFlow or Star Nails etc training in the world but have a very poor teacher and be sloppy: you would both have certificates at the end, and people may turn their noses up at a home learn qualification, but who would be the better tech in the end?
I know the up-coming EZ Flow courses in Crawley (sorry Jess if you're already overbooke or if I'm informing wrong!), for example, start on a Sunday, so hopefully they would fit in if you have children that you need someone to look after, or a 9-5 job during the week, so you may find that courses near you will actually fit in with your timetable. My local Sally's has a board up advertising Star Nails courses, or you could try the EZ Flow or CND sites (look in the industry links section). Also, K-Sa-Ra, NailOrder, and The Nail Company all offer training local to their centres.
What I have learned from this site is the only way you will find what course is for you is research, research, research and asking lots of questions! I personally wonder if anyone could answer this one for me: if you do, say l&p training, gain your certificate and insurance, are you then also insured for manicure and pedicure and nail art, should you do it, or do you need certificates for every service you want to offer in order to be insured to do it?
 

bimbogeri

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 5, 2004
Messages
1,197
Reaction score
61
Location
East Sussex
Cheers Sammie!
So far I've been doing manicures on my mum following the K-Sa-Ra instructions, and my Manicure, Pedicure & Advanced Nail Techniques should be in the post soon, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without training to do it on clients. I wanted to know the legal standing because some techs in my area have hundreds of certificates on the wall, some only have one.
Does anyone have a recommended mani & pedi course, or is it not so important as choosing your extension training?
I was thinking of doing the Star Nails Mani & Pedi and Nail Art courses through my local Sally's.
Lol x
 

Sammie

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 30, 2004
Messages
136
Reaction score
1
Location
Portsmouth, Hampshire
I did my nail art course with star nails at my local capital. Not sure what there manicure and pedicure course is like but i did mine at my local college. I found it very informative and in depth.

Sammie


bimbogeri said:
Cheers Sammie!
So far I've been doing manicures on my mum following the K-Sa-Ra instructions, and my Manicure, Pedicure & Advanced Nail Techniques should be in the post soon, but I wouldn't feel comfortable without training to do it on clients. I wanted to know the legal standing because some techs in my area have hundreds of certificates on the wall, some only have one.
Does anyone have a recommended mani & pedi course, or is it not so important as choosing your extension training?
I was thinking of doing the Star Nails Mani & Pedi and Nail Art courses through my local Sally's.
Lol x
 

LBR

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 7, 2003
Messages
1,554
Reaction score
31
Location
Scotland
I'm doing the Acrylic Tip and Overlay Course with EN's. However as I just mentioned in another posting I've just signed up for the Foundation Course with CND.

I really think this is the best way forward for me. To go over and gain more training in what I already know and also, hopefully master sculpting.

At least by the end of it I will have a good sound knowledge from a reputable company and a good standing qualification for future training.

Also there are two shops in my area, CND trained and Calgel. I have to compete with these guys so I don't want them saying I'm not properly qualified!

:rolleyes:
 

Carole Lindsay

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 3, 2004
Messages
1,036
Reaction score
11
Location
Barnet
Sammie said:
I did my nail art course with star nails at my local capital. Not sure what there manicure and pedicure course is like but i did mine at my local college. I found it very informative and in depth.

Sammie
Snap!!!
 

Latest posts

Top