Essie polishes in Superdrug

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlushBeauty1

Reaction score
Ive just seen that superdrug have started selling Essie polishes!! I use these polishes on my clients as they seem slightly exclusive now I may as well use Rimmell!! Grrr!!

How much are they in a shop?

I saw them in boots yesterday too!

I think there's no brand that's exclusive unfortunately - even Jessica polishes you can get from feelunique.com - albeit dearer.

You have to look at it this way - the client sees the price in Boots or whereever and thinks "she's using an expensive brand"

x

I think they were £7.99. I suppose if I run out of a polish and need it quickly I know I can always pop in and get it haha!

Essie polish is widely available in Spain. €9 or €10 I think, from memory.

£7.99 is not that bad I think. On ebay sometimes they are more expensive.

I would not worry too much about Essie selling anywhere the public can buy it, remember it's how it's applied that counts. To me Essie is a fantastic nail polish and professional but what really makes it special is the Nail Tech...so be positive and don't worry :) Besides a lot people that buy nail polish don't like to spend more than £4 because they know it will not be used or applied as good as getting a professional manicure :)

Look at OPI anyone can get thier hands on it but still it's a huge hit with nail techs. Just know with the internet u can buy pretty much anything u want even stuff u can't get in the stores but yet business carries on.

Put a good spin on it - the client can buy it and touch up to get longer out of mani/pedi? Every cloud and all that! X

Put a good spin on it - the client can buy it and touch up to get longer out of mani/pedi? Every cloud and all that! X

Even better if you're retailing it to them though!! :D

They sell it in Walgreens here too and of course it is way cheaper here in the states already before they put it into a drugstore!

I would be mad if I used it in the spa, luckily I don't. I am also phasing out OPI for the same reasons, it is available everywhere including all the grocery stores so it is like poping over to the mid/low range stores like Tesco and Morrisons to pick up some OPI.

I vote with my feet.

Wait wait wait!!!!

I remember getting an email or reading an article a while back about Essie going into Superdrug and Boots. It said something about how they are developing a range for the public but it's not all the same shades etc. I can't remember where or when I saw it though but definitely remember I did.

They also have many less colours. Hth x

I think there's no brand that's exclusive unfortunately - even Jessica polishes you can get from feelunique.com - albeit dearer.

You have to look at it this way - the client sees the price in Boots or whereever and thinks "she's using an expensive brand"

x

CND is , but at a tech you CAN and SHULD retail the colors and effects ,:)

You won't see them in boots , Super Drug or QVC though ,

You can find anything on worm-azon or fleabay but that's not a always going to be what you think your getting lol .

Here in Germany you can buy essese in DM (like super drug) and some other shops . about 7€

It's odd as MAHA the german Cnd distribution all so sell ease at trade price :)

They sell it in Walgreens here too and of course it is way cheaper here in the states already before they put it into a drugstore!

I would be mad if I used it in the spa, luckily I don't. I am also phasing out OPI for the same reasons, it is available everywhere including all the grocery stores so it is like poping over to the mid/low range stores like Tesco and Morrisons to pick up some OPI.

I vote with my feet.
I completely agree. As soon as Essie was bought out it was obvious that they would go consumer.

I personally would never sell a consumer brand in the salon, but that is the way I am and that business decision has always been the right one and a good one for me, as I have always treated discerning clients at the high end and high-end babes do not want what the rest of the herd are wearing.

Having said that, the rest of the herd is BIG so if that is where you place yourself and your business then joining the high street gang might be best for you.

It does not matter how people justify how it is applied that matters and that clients still love a professional treatment (despite products being sold in x,y & z), the fact is that salon exclusivity is lost when it becomes retail. I love that some brands are salon only and that going to a salon is where you get a trained professional applying professional only products. I find this disheartening especially with skincare as finding a salon only product is getting harder for the therapist to call their own.

I saw that article too, a lot less shades and bigger brush and different bottle for faster application, so that us nail tech's don't lose clients as we can paint it on properly!

I didn't realise it wasn't going to be the same colours so I suppose that's good I've just bought a lot of new colours which is annoying! It's like me using simple or Nivea in facials and telling clients to go to asda to buy the products, unprofessional!!

I heard about this on Nail Talk radio. I don't use it my self but I do think it unfair for a professional product to sell to general public xx.

Essie has been available tp the public for years now! I've seen it in Debenhams, John Lewis, Boots, Liberty etc so I don't see how one more store stocking it is something to worry about?

This is yest another thing that I love about CND, their is an exclusivity about it and I think that really helps when we retail to our clients.

Latest posts

Back