Estee Lauder Double Wear for brides?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lauraj

Reaction score
I've been doing make-up for a while but just for children's parties and a few proms but I have been asked to do a friends wedding which is in August so between then and now I'm planning to top up my kit with better brands. One thing a month as I've got everything I'm just uping the quality.

This month Urban Decay Naked Pallet

Next month is foundation so I'm researching, I use Double Wear and I love it so I wanted to get a couple more shades of that which I can mix to suit people skin. Is this a good idea, does it photograph well.

If not, any other suggestions? I tried MAC before but I didn't like it as it sempt a bit caked on to me

Hi, I'm not a BT or MA but I love EL double wear however remember reading on a thread here on Salon geek previously that it doesn't photograph well. It reflects the flash causing you to look very pale and a different colour to your body! Hth xx

yes double wear has spf in it so makes you look white in pictures lol mac face and body is meant to be good for weddings.. also there are a couple of make up threads on here lately that have some good suggestions on :)

This is a photo of me wearing studio fix nw30, the minute my photographer saw me she said my make up looked amazing and there wasn't a flaw on any of the photoed and they are not edited.it lasted all day and I touched it up a tiny bit mid day.

Hope this helps with your choices.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358281520.582776.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1358281520.582776.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,786
MAC Studio Fix does photograph well, I had it for my wedding although I don't wear it usually (I wear Double Wear!!!) - it's more moist than Double Wear, and thicker in consistency - I find Double Wear pretty much 'sets' on application, whereas Studio Fix needs more powdering and tends to oxidise on an oilier skin which Double Wear never does in my experience.

As others have said, Double Wear contains high levels of titanium dioxide and so can cause flashback/ghosting in photos - it depends on the lighting etc, it's not guaranteed to happen in every picture but I wouldn't risk it. I understand from the Estee Lauder sales assistant that the Double Wear Light is a different formulation and doesn't have this effect, but I've not used it myself. The coverage is a lot less than original Double Wear (Studio Fix is comparable coverage to original Double Wear).

There are lots of threads about bridal foundations on Makeup Advice Forum - different people like different things, the most often recommended one used to be Chanel Pro Lumiere but it has sadly been discontinued now - I think there have been a lot of positive reviews of the Dior Diorskin Forever, which is a long-lasting formula. It's on my shopping list but not tried it yet!

I didn't mention. I love double wear and used it for many years. Double wear light has a similar coverage but much lighter on the skin

P.s with studio fix it looks amazing with no powder don't know if you've tried that?

I did a few weddings last year and one in Barbados using a beautiful chanel foundation and it photographed beautifully,

I've just purchased bobbi Browne and Revlon and n07 just to compare, the Revlon lasted all day , went of lovely and was about £6.99.

Hope you find a good foundation soon.

Oh forgot to mention, go to selfridges or Debenhams and go round every counter for samples they give you really good sizes.

And I've heard great reviews about make up forever hd foundation that Kim kardashian wears religiously.

I wear and love Doublewear and it is ideal for brides and photographs :wink2:

I'm not keen on double wear find it very drying to the skin so not great for a dryer skin double were light is nice but maybe not enough coverage for a bride??
I were mac studio fix fluid foundation every day although I do find towards the end of the day 3/4pm it does start to wear off but used with a good primer it would be great for brides!!

This is a photo of me wearing studio fix nw30, the minute my photographer saw me she said my make up looked amazing and there wasn't a flaw on any of the photoed and they are not edited.it lasted all day and I touched it up a tiny bit mid day.

Awww you look STUNNING!

And I LOVE your flowers, these are the colours I'm having in my bouquet. :lol:

I wear double wear myself as an every day, I've got oily skin so it suits me. I'd never use on brides though, please don't, I've seen pics of brides who look lovely with it on but get them with a big flash and it really gives them a white face. And usually thats next to an Orange neck from their spray tan!

I had MAC face and body on my wedding day which was great and I'm just about to start using I'llamasqua.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Double Wear is a very heavy, full coverage foundation. What if you get a bride with beautiful skin that requires minimum coverage? Or a very pale or very dark skinned bride? The Estee Lauder shades don't cater for these.

What I am saying is, your kit needs to have products suitable for different skin types and tones, it's not a one type fits all thing like an eyeshadow.

I love MAC Face and Body for those that don't need a lot of coverage, Illamasqua Skin Base is another favourite as it covers so many skin tones and is medium but buildable coverage and it photographs beautifully! As others have mentioned, beware of any foundations that have spf in them. Also be careful of this when choosing your moisturisers and primers.

Oh forgot to mention, go to selfridges or Debenhams and go round every counter for samples they give you really good sizes.

And I've heard great reviews about make up forever hd foundation that Kim kardashian wears religiously.

I personally find MUFE HD very flat looking.

I wouldn't use Double Wear for bridal :( Under certain flashes it has a VERY noticable white cast. I have a picture of it here but I can't work out how to attach it!

I've been doing loads of research on foundations for kit recently as am buying stuff for mine. It seems the majority of Make-Up Artists rate MUFE HD, Illamasqua Skin Base or/and RMCA or Graftobian cream palettes.

I'm planning to go with a cream palette and I think Illamasqua to start with (I like that Illamasqua do a white so I can mix my own shades easier. I'll probably end up with a few types of liquid eventually to do a few skin types.

You're make up looks really lovely thank's for sharing the picture with me.

Thank you for all your advice I will go and get some samples of the ones you have suggested and see which I like best.

I thought I had read that double wear wasn't great for photographs but I really liked it so I wanted to make sure. I definately won't use it though now you have said even if it is sometimes OK I don't want to take the risk

I think foundation is by far the hardest part of the kit to get right/choose.

I think foundation is by far the hardest part of the kit to get right/choose.

I agree, I'm really struggling with this bit and I think it's the reason that I haven't done more make-up because I know I haven't got it right yet

Latest posts

Back