Eureka moment

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

House Beauty

Reaction score
Hi Geeks.

I spent lockdown designing a special shield to protection when doing couch treatments on the face (and when client is face up).

It freak the hell out of me that these face shields have zero coverage underneath, so while we are protected from the client if they sneezed and we were above them (it would go down away from us), if we were ill ourselves without knowing, the client would be right in harms way with out nose above their face.

I have severe anxiety already after contracting whooping cough from a client while wearing a mask, gloves and goggles for a brief 12 minute session that put me out of work for 6 months. I could just manage to do one treatment a day after healing. It took a long time to heal and improve on my lung function, as I was fainting and that’s embarrassing when trying to walk in a gym on a treadmill for 3 mins, or go up and down stairs.

I never, ever, want another therapist to experience not being able to breathe because a client didn’t stay home whilst contagious and thought their nail touch up came before your health.

Of course, this could be adjusted by doing all treatments face to face and simply getting used to it once we are allowed. I know that this probably won’t happen as so many of us are desperate to get back to doing facials and will do it even though we don’t fee 100% safe. But doing a facial in a chair facing the client just doesn’t seem relaxing to me.

So I spent 4 months trying to find a way. I was looking at all sorts of wacky ideas, not even confident I had an idea.

Then I came across something very simple. I blew my own mind.

I ordered parts and it was a very simple construct. I did it with a few basic pieces of wood and a drill, 2 screws attached it to the couch and it’s very stable. And it actually looks quite good for what it is. As it’s woodat the moment (wish I had the budget for something else), virus can’t replicate in it because it’s porous, so it only lasts 24hrs compared to metal and plastic which is 92-96hrs. All it needs is alcohol after each use sprayed on and it’s clean to use for the next person.

So the way it works is the client is protected from our breathing above them, and of course an additional protection for us at the same time; all while being able to have a free range of movement and do eyebrows/facials and facial massage.

I just ordered the final piece - the polycarbonate shield that actually offers the Protection as currently it’s just the frame.

But my goodness, I have actually created something that works. It’s totally functioning but it was so incredibly simple I can’t believe it’s not out there already or that I didn’t think of it earlier.

So without revealing too much about it, I need your help to come up with a name!

Im thinking along the lines of ‘In Defence of Beauty’ but it’s too long. I loved Beauty Shield but someone else has used that for the face shields.

Words that could work are shield, frame, beauty, beauty bed, protection....

Any ideas?

Love & Beauty,

Beauty Couch Shield

Hi there, just happened to come across your post and was intrigued. But I'm afraid someone might have beaten you to it as what you are describing sounds very similar to this: Safe-Guard treatment shield

I too was thinking of a way to design something but have given up now that we have to wear mask and visor. It's a pain to wear both but I think I would feel safer.

Hi there, just happened to come across your post and was intrigued. But I'm afraid someone might have beaten you to it as what you are describing sounds very similar to this: Safe-Guard treatment shield

I too was thinking of a way to design something but have given up now that we have to wear mask and visor. It's a pain to wear both but I think I would feel safer.

Mines quite different but I’m glad that there’s finally some initiative from beauty wholesalers as I’m quite shocked there’s not many of these.

I tried some similar ideas as this one early on but was not happy to work with arm holes by where my face would be if I sat down 😂

I don’t think I’m going to sell mine as I just don’t have the resources to be marketing a product and manufacturing it on a large scale. But I’m definitely going to be using it once I go back.

Good luck with it. It is a shame that you need a lot of financial backing when you have a great idea. Basically need to money to make money!

I too drove myself crazy trying to design a screen - I wanted an aluminium frame on wheels. Then I bought a tilting pod screen (a podiatry screen). It’s been great over faces on a couch. My stress has reduced massively.

I’ve been very disappointed at the lack of innovation for our industry.

if you are looking for a name why not use Guard as a substitute for Screen? Beauty Guard, Couch Guard etc.

House Beauty, sorry to hear you have been struggling with poor lung function. I can give you some online support if you would like? There are some breathing exercises that help to improve lung efficacy and reduce subconscious hyperventilating. Yoga breathing and meditation also helpful of course but a more medical approach can make a big difference.

Last edited:
I too drove myself crazy trying to design a screen - I wanted an aluminium frame on wheels. Then I bought a tilting pod screen (a podiatry screen). It’s been great over faces on a couch. My stress has reduced massively.

I’ve been very disappointed at the lack of innovation for our industry.

if you are looking for a name why not use Guard as a substitute for Screen? Beauty Guard, Couch Guard etc.

House Beauty, sorry to hear you have been struggling with poor lung function. I can give you some online support if you would like? There are some breathing exercises that help to improve lung efficacy and reduce subconscious hyperventilating. Yoga breathing and meditation also helpful of course but a more medical approach can make a big difference.

That’s it Duchess! Beauty Guard!!!!!

THANKYOU!!!!

I just finished the last piece. Attaching the plastic sheet took me a month to get the courage...felt a bit like I wasn’t good enough.

So the Whole centre piece swivels for Facing client and behind client on couch, then depending on height (I like to use a stool as much as I can but love to stand for head massage and get more flowy), it can be adjusted for eg facial lower, massage higher so client can comfortably and easily turn over and face down before/after for back massage without touching it.

And it can also be adjusted to move the glass nearer to working station so eg eyebrows have full view through plastic without the bar in the way.

What do you think? It’s nothing special but functional.

Attachments

• 4FAA4547-6E20-421F-ADC6-6B9F7A8F5103.png
    4FAA4547-6E20-421F-ADC6-6B9F7A8F5103.png
    2.7 MB · Views: 157
I like it! looks beautifully made. How are you finding it in use?

It would be interesting to hear whether the side bars are annoying or something you easily adapt to.

Latest posts

Back