Even if you won't get found out do you still do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dandelionpoppy

Reaction score
This is prompted by another thread on Chitchat.

If you can get away with something, do you go ahead?

Although I'm not religious these days I still have those invisible eyes monitoring my behaviour!

For example, when settling the bill at a hotel the other week the owner was astounded when I said it was wrong- because they had missed some items off. I might have saved myself £50, but, (although I'm not well-off) , it would never be worth it to me. I would have felt bad about myself.

What are your thoughts on this?

Well seen as I kind of mouthed off I think I'll contribute lovely.

I could not walk away from that hotel knowing I hadn't done the right thing.

I'm not a saint and in no way religious. But I strive to treat everyone fairly and nicely. Regardless of class, race, education etc

I won't park in a parent and child spot if I haven't got my babies with me.

I wouldn't keep a phone if I found it.

I wouldn't take back an item of clothing I had worn

I will always try to do the right thing. I no I won't please everyone. But if I can hold my head high and know my morals are in tact I will do the right thing regardless of the cost to me.

I'm not a walkover. But I would not sleep knowing I'm selfish and inconsiderate! Xxx

Im very much in the do the right thing camp :)

I have even walked out of a shop and forgotten to pay for something and had to go all the way back to tell them i had walked out with the item by accident and would like to pay.

Call it Karma, call it God, call it pride - whatever way you look at it, I just couldn't not do the right thing. It's the same reason that when I work - even in the crappy jobs! I still do the best job that can be done, there is no point in half measures

I wouldn't go back if I saw I'd been undercharged for something. I don't do anything massively dishonest but things like that I would keep quiet x

I live my life as if I'm on spy-cam because I believe in Karma.

Depends what it is...

Once an old man who was very poor-sighted asked me to help him at a cash machine (ATM)

He asked me to assist him to withdraw some money but what he didn't realise was he'd already drew out £300 and it was sitting in the tray ready for him to take.

I guided his hand to it and helped him put it away in his wallet.

That was the right thing to do.

Another time a lady pushed in front of me in the ATM queue, was huffing, puffing, cussing etc.

She tapped a load of buttons then stormed of. As I approached, £300 came out so I swiped it.

Do I feel guilty? No she was a cow!

I would never steal from my own but if a bag was left on a bench in a park in the middle of nowhere with no one around, then sorry finders keepers

Depends what it is...

Once an old man who was very poor-sighted asked me to help him at a cash machine (ATM)

He asked me to assist him to withdraw some money but what he didn't realise was he'd already drew out £300 and it was sitting in the tray ready for him to take.

I guided his hand to it and helped him put it away in his wallet.

That was the right thing to do.

Another time a lady pushed in front of me in the ATM queue, was huffing, puffing, cussing etc.

She tapped a load of buttons then stormed of. As I approached, £300 came out so I swiped it.

Do I feel guilty? No she was a cow!

I love u, u know I do but...

What if she was a single mum rushing to pick the kids up from school after working scrubbing floors and had to get her rent out so she wouldn't be evicted? Or had saved all that money for one of her
Children's school trips?

I'm not having a go... Just saying that although rude she may well have a back story. As we all often do xxxx

Mrs Williams, nice to see you back and I admire your honesty in your posts.

I think Properprincess and I were separated at birth...well, OK at birth AND 2 generations :p......but that's how I would think. I'd think she had some anxiety syndrome, or was on drugs, or felt uncomfortable in crowds. I couldn't "punish" her by keeping her money. As Tammie would say "Just sayin!'"

I remember once rushing to see my dad in hospital - no it wasn't an emergency but I was stressed and really angry at the hospital so drove like a maniac (no excuse!) I always try to put myself in someone else's shoes if they seem unreasonable. I also try to live guilt free & regret free hence why I'm so damn smug :D

But I did get a free rug at ikea once that I'm keeping quiet...sssh...

I try to live by the idea of karma and the good old idea of what you give out you get back 3 fold.
I also want to teach my children to have good morals and ultimately be decent, valuable members of society.

If everyone just did whatever they wanted, selfish and dishonest things, what kind of a mess would the world be in?? An even bigger one that it is now and we can thank selfishness for that one!

Treat others how you want to be treated, remember, Santa's watching! X

Mrs Williams, nice to see you back and I admire your honesty in your posts.

I think Properprincess and I were separated at birth...well, OK at birth AND 2 generations :p......but that's how I would think. I'd think she had some anxiety syndrome, or was on drugs, or felt uncomfortable in crowds. I couldn't "punish" her by keeping her money. As Tammie would say "Just sayin!'"

If I look like u in twenty years I'll be happy x

I'm a bit shocked by what I've read here.
I would never do anything dishonest or unethical! I was going through my receipts this morning and found that the pub where I'd taken my PA for lunch last Friday hadn't charged us for the coffee so I rang and told them, and could I pay for it with a card over the phone. They were astonished that anyone would be so honest and said I could have the coffee for free.

Almost 3 weeks ago I found a real live, honest to goodness diamond in the street on the ground. About 1.5 carats in size. I took it to the police who told me that if nobody had claimed it within 30 days then title passes to me. Can you imagine! If I'd lost a diamond out of a ring or something I'd want a bit more than 30 days!

My humsbums' dad has stolen 15K from him (long story), but I'm dithering about whether to sell the diamond to recoup some of that money or whether I should donate it to an underfunded charity. What would you do?

I'm really disappointed that people would be as dishonest as they've openly said they would be...

I would never do anything dishonest or unethical! I was going through my receipts this morning and found that the pub where I'd taken my PA for lunch last Friday hadn't charged us for the coffee so I rang and told them, and could I pay for it with a card over the phone. They were astonished that anyone would be so honest and said I could have the coffee for free.

Almost 3 weeks ago I found a real live, honest to goodness diamond in the street on the ground. About 1.5 carats in size. I took it to the police who told me that if nobody had claimed it within 30 days then title passes to me. Can you imagine! If I'd lost a diamond out of a ring or something I'd want a bit more than 30 days!

My humsbums' dad has stolen 15K from him (long story), but I'm dithering about whether to sell the diamond to recoup some of that money or whether I should donate it to an underfunded charity. What would you do?

I'm really disappointed that people would be as dishonest as they've openly said they would be...

I think that you did the right thing handing the ring in. Your being rewarded for being so honest with the ring.

X

I would never steal from my own but if a bag was left on a bench in a park in the middle of nowhere with no one around, then sorry finders keepers

Sorry but it's not finders keepers...it is Theft by Finding.
Hand it in to the police, and if not claimed by the owner it is lawfully and honestly yours after 28 days, with no guilt.

Last edited:

I'm really shocked about this. Please would you reconsider?

I'm actually feeling a lot better after reading replies, as I sometimes think that people think I'm a bit soft, or goodie-goodie.

Lynne's recount of the coffee bill reminds me of some years ago, when we'd been out for a very jolly evening with some friends. The next day I realised that the restaurant must have only charged us for the meal and not for our drinks bill (which was substantial!). I rang one of my friends, who agreed that it must be the case, and I rang the restaurant. The manager listened to my story - by now I was feeling as guilty as if I had deliberately tried to defraud them - and then asked me if we had enjoyed the drinks. A bit odd, I thought, but said that we had. He replied "In that case, they're on the house!"
How nice of him.

I think that you did the right thing handing the ring in. Your being rewarded for being so honest with the ring.

X

Thank you, but I don't want a "reward". What I want is a clear conscience!

My company is currently being sued by a woman who can only be described as troubled and misguided. She has been vicious, untruthful, malicious and threatening. Those around me wish her all manner of unpleasantness; I on the other hand hope only for it to stop, and that she get the psychiatric help she clearly needs. The poor woman has lied from the first day I met her, telling me she was a doctor, a military officer and that she owned the company. She has taken me to the brink of a nervous breakdown and to financial ruin with the legal bills. She is obviously seriously mentally unwell and I don't wish her any ill will. I just want it to stop.

The world would be a much easier place if we could all just be honest.

I swear, where have morals gone?

In my site you loose something itll work it way back to you in a few days.

Why cant country folk be like it too?

you are very honest and I live by Karmer and treat otheres as they wish to be treated.

I think if the diamond is given to you you should sell it and help recoup some of that money.1.you found the diamond and handed it in.2nd the diamond is given to you your going to sell it and give to money away to help your husband all selfless acts and helping otheres.

So I would say sell it.your a lovely honest lady.x

Latest posts

Back