Even if you won't get found out do you still do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Depends what it is...

Once an old man who was very poor-sighted asked me to help him at a cash machine (ATM)

He asked me to assist him to withdraw some money but what he didn't realise was he'd already drew out £300 and it was sitting in the tray ready for him to take.

I guided his hand to it and helped him put it away in his wallet.

That was the right thing to do.

Another time a lady pushed in front of me in the ATM queue, was huffing, puffing, cussing etc.

She tapped a load of buttons then stormed of. As I approached, £300 came out so I swiped it.

Do I feel guilty? No she was a cow!

I'm sorry but the last few paragraphs just made me laugh out very very loud!

To be honest I don't know what camp I'm on here. I'm probably mostly like Ms Williams in that I assess every situation as it comes.

One of my clients last week gave me a big holdall of waxing products (she used to have a salon and had had it in storage). Vitually new 1000 wax pot, phd and hive roller system. My husband questioned me when he got home (thought I'd been a a spending spree!) as the stuff was still sitting in the hallway. He said to me what would you do if you found £500 cash in that bag. Well on this occasion the answer was easy, I said I would give it back (well actually I said I'd give it back next week cause we'd just got back from hols and were a bit short Lol but I'd defo have given it to her).

When I started my first ever job when I was about 14, I went to town with my friend with my wages in a little purse. I remember to this day it was £40 and all that was in the purse was the money and my pay slip, no cards nothing. I remember sitting down waiting for our lift to come collect us. I must have got up and left that purse on the street. I was so upset when I realised I lost it, I didn't know where I had but knew it was gone. A day or so later I got a phone all. A lady had found it, she had looked at the pay slip tracked down the company I worked for and then they gave her my details, purse got returned with all my money, and we took her a big bunch of flowers and chocolates. £40, she could have just taken it but she didn't. I still remember how I upset I was. If I ever saw a purse or bag or anything like that I would try and track down the owner or take it to the police station. Keeping it is stealing.
But to be fair, if I found a note blowing in the wind..I dont suppose many people report loosing money to the police station, i've never found any money so I guess I don't really know what I would do.
With the ATM, if you wait and do not take the money it sucks it back in and gets deposited back into your account( this happened to a friend of mine very recently) I would never take someones money if I saw it there.

Its a good debating subject....

..... but I'm dithering about whether to sell the diamond to recoup some of that money or whether I should donate it to an underfunded charity. What would you do?

Lynn, in this circumstance you have made the effort to do the right thing. You have followed the letter of the law. And by accepting the property if it isn't claimed, you're not receiving a "reward." Don't see it like that. Under the law, you now become owner of the property since the property has not been claimed.

You took the proper measures to ensure it was returned to its rightful owner. You should feel no guilt over it.

I'm baffled why people don't show common courtesy when you reunite them with their belongings.

I was in Westfield once, having a coffee waiting for the shops to open on a sunday, so it was fairly quiet. Quiet enough for me to be idly people watching. I saw a woman drop what looked like a note as she walked by, so I ran over and chased her to give it back.

She didn't even give me eye contact, let alone show any manners. I was a bit shocked, but don't regret giving the cow back her money.

I'm baffled why people don't show common courtesy when you reunite them with their belongings.

I was in Westfield once, having a coffee waiting for the shops to open on a sunday, so it was fairly quiet. Quiet enough for me to be idly people watching. I saw a woman drop what looked like a note as she walked by, so I ran over and chased her to give it back.

She didn't even give me eye contact, let alone show any manners. I was a bit shocked, but don't regret giving the cow back her money.
Yep ive had a few incidents like this too! x

Lol must be different here in Norfolk! England!

I'm a very kind hearted believe in the saying treat others how you would like to be treated and karma!

I would help someone if they needed it and like to think they would if I need help!

Two occasions I have my purse stolen !!
One was on the way to salon international and someone took it and one at work.

Now unfortunately I had a lot of money but I had also a lot of forms of I'd, could they not of just money and sent me back my purse? No.

It did say on my driving license where I lived. Just annoyed that they didn't send me back the purse I had a lot of sentimental things in there.

As well a the other purse! How
People are just low!!

:(
Needless to say, purse is never out my sight!!! Now :)

M

She might not have spoken any English. That said, I'm pretty sure that smiling and eye contact work in most languages!

I don't always do the right thing, I would never walk away from a small or independent business without paying or knowing they had made a mistake, but from large corporations that have damaged small busiess's hell yeah, iv even contemplated putting a DVD through self scan as apples before now seeing as they rip you off on price for dvd's.
As for the likes of op and the hotel if it was a large place like the Hilton I say take what you can and run ( iv literally taken the products off the maids carts AND te baskets they were in. And from one hotel michael Owen owns I took a pack of 12 lightbulbs, 6 plate mats, 2 dressing gowns (turns out the rest of the party took dressing gowns too so all in all 25) 4 champagne glasses, 2 throw cushions, a bath mat and a bunch of flowers and vase, do I feel bad? Not when he earns £thousands a day hell no, and at £190 per night for a room with a faulty jacuzzi it's just compensation to the value of around £200 haha xoxo

I don't always do the right thing, I would never walk away from a small or independent business without paying or knowing they had made a mistake, but from large corporations that have damaged small busiess's hell yeah, iv even contemplated putting a DVD through self scan as apples before now seeing as they rip you off on price for dvd's.
As for the likes of op and the hotel if it was a large place like the Hilton I say take what you can and run ( iv literally taken the products off the maids carts AND te baskets they were in. And from one hotel michael Owen owns I took a pack of 12 lightbulbs, 6 plate mats, 2 dressing gowns (turns out the rest of the party took dressing gowns too so all in all 25) 4 champagne glasses, 2 throw cushions, a bath mat and a bunch of flowers and vase, do I feel bad? Not when he earns £thousands a day hell no, and at £190 per night for a room with a faulty jacuzzi it's just compensation to the value of around £200 haha xoxo

Tomme you are funny lol.

And a welcome relief xx

Lol tomme!

I'll just know if ever I become to own a large hotel to stick a photo of you on the door with the letters BARRED above it, pmsl xxx

Last edited:
Sadly, Tomme, it was not a £200 a night place. It was a pub in Pwllhelli.
( I think you will guess that it wouldn't make a difference.)

Why am I starting to feel priggish again ? :confused:

Michael Owens may earn thousands a week, but he is not a thief.

What kind of society are we now when we congratulate this kind of behaviour :confused:

I really am at a loss to understand this.

What if you get caught with all of this and the Hotel takes a stand and call the police, you end up with a criminal record...for what, a scratchy over laundered dressing gown ?

Maybe Hotel rooms are so expensive to cover the cost of all the stolen property they have to replace.

I think I need to stop reading this thread even though the majority of posts are quite uplifting and show that the majority of people are honest and caring, the others really upset and depress me.

I'm happy to be a prig :D

I disagree with the general ethos of ripping off big companies, for example. If Sainsburys want to charge over the odds for a product let them. We are not forced to buy THAT product, or buy it from THEM. Kudos to them for making it pay. Kudos to any small, medium or large company. So long as they got there legitimately good on them and nobody has ANY right to steal from them. Stealing is indefensible and even if x celeb has millions in the bank, it is their money which they got by legit means, and I think it's wrong anyone thinks they deserve to take it from them, why does anyone else deserve it? Because they're rich enough? So by the same token it's ok if some illegal immigrant comes & steals from anyone in the uk because relatively speaking, we're millionaires compared to how some people live in slums in third world countries.

Great debate, just putting across the opposite side to what I know is a very popular opinion Xx

I must agree with Pixie here.

A case study for you:

A family lives in a neighborhood but they stand out because they obviously "have." They own several homes, drive nice cars, have a couple of boats and own a thriving business. The son attends a private school. The neighborhood is falling in disrepair around them but they love the neighborhood and decide to remain.

One day they get home to find their young son's prized Christmas gift, a shiney new go-kart, is missing. Not only has it been stolen and vandalized by the local children, it was done so with the blessing of the children's parents.

Why? Because the those children's parents said, "You are the 'haves' and we are the 'have nots'." They felt entitled because the one family was "rich" and they were "poor."

How do you feel about that?

How do you feel about that if you knew it had been done to me?

I must agree with Pixie here.

A case study for you:

A family lives in a neighborhood but they stand out because they obviously "have." They own several homes, drive nice cars, have a couple of boats and own a thriving business. The son attends a private school. The neighborhood is falling in disrepair around them but they love the neighborhood and decide to remain.

One day they get home to find their young son's prized Christmas gift, a shiney new go-kart, is missing. Not only has it been stolen and vandalized by the local children, it was done so with the blessing of the children's parents.

Why? Because the those children's parents said, "You are the 'haves' and we are the 'have nots'." They felt entitled because the one family was "rich" and they were "poor."

How do you feel about that?

How do you feel about that if you knew it had been done to me?

i would say fair play to the 'rich' family assuming it was self made wealth that they earned by getting off their butts everyday and working for it. i don't care who they are or how much they have. if they earned it , they deserve it.

to the begrudgers.... we have a saying but i don't think that kind of language is allowed on SG. but it rhymes with mcuk them. ;)
there's small minded , jealous begrudgers in every 'neighbourhood' rich or poor.

I'm a bit shocked by what I've read here.
I would never do anything dishonest or unethical! I was going through my receipts this morning and found that the pub where I'd taken my PA for lunch last Friday hadn't charged us for the coffee so I rang and told them, and could I pay for it with a card over the phone. They were astonished that anyone would be so honest and said I could have the coffee for free.

Almost 3 weeks ago I found a real live, honest to goodness diamond in the street on the ground. About 1.5 carats in size. I took it to the police who told me that if nobody had claimed it within 30 days then title passes to me. Can you imagine! If I'd lost a diamond out of a ring or something I'd want a bit more than 30 days!

My humsbums' dad has stolen 15K from him (long story), but I'm dithering about whether to sell the diamond to recoup some of that money or whether I should donate it to an underfunded charity. What would you do?

I'm really disappointed that people would be as dishonest as they've openly said they would be...

Ok Im a Karma girl. I have morals and ethics and I wouldnt do anything I wasnt comfortable with someone doing to me. Stealing is a hard limit (yes been reading 50 shades :wink2:) for me.
HOWEVER, the diamond issue - if no one claims it, its legally yours. Say thankyou to the powers that be and see that as you good karma coming back to you ;) p.s blinkin jealous though, If you want to pass it my way, Id be more than happy to look after it on my finger for you xxxxx

Anything that is able to be traced...handbags,purses,phones etc I will trace the owner myself,I wouldn't hand it to a shop keeper because how would I no they wouldn't keep it for themselves?
I trust no one lol...but its so nice to read there are some trust worthy people out there...if it happened to me,I wouldn't expect to have my purse or whatever returned,but if I did then I would reward whoever it is for their honesty because not many good people around!
We had a night stay in a hotel once over valentines,somehow we were charged rates for a normal night,didn't realise til on our way home and rung the hotel,told them and insisted to pay over the phone,but they declined thanking us for our honesty! We didn't pay,someone told me I should have sent a cheque through post,but if they said no then we no we were honest and it was their choice not to take the extra payment :)

With the diamond situation,you've done what you can...you've been honest and good things come to good people,which it has,so now you do whatever you wish to do with it :) xx

Essential Bliss Beauty Therapy

A few years back i was in my.salon spray tanning a client when.i heard the door open, it was a man who came in.occasionally to ask if we did accupuncture to quit smoking, as usual i told him im afraid we dont and advised where he could try, he left and as he was walking out the door i went back into the therapy room to complete the tan. On coming out i noticed the door was not actually shut and my bag had been taken from under the counter where it had been well.hidden. Needless to say my purse was long gone, there was only around £40 in it however it contained a childhood photo of my brother who passed away in 2008. Went to sandwich shop a few doors away for my lunch and mentioned what had happened, our local.street cleaner turned up an hour or so later with my purse! He'd found it in a bin and so i opened it to see if the photo was there and no.the scumbag had obviously binned that as well!!! Another time on my holidays i accidently left my purse with around £350 in it in a cafe, never saw that again and as most of it was money my sis owed me i couldnt prove to my insurance i had even had the money in the first place :-( some people just dont think! Both times there was id so it could.have been returned

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Wow... What a response? All I can say is he who cast the first stone... Are you really telling me that you have never ever ever done anything wrong ever? Surely no one is that angelic.

I held my hands up and admitted it, loveable rogue, me!

Dear HWilliams,

I once rushed in front of a woman at an ATM, cussing and puffing, being really horrible. Just because that's the way I am. I didn't collect my £300 upon leaving, so I am glad you found my money,

Please send it to
Tanfastic
Nasty Cow Close
Horridville
UK.

LOL,

no seriously though, I think maybe Karma paid you back that day by letting you have the 300 you so honestly gave to the elderly gent, or you were tested and came out lacking.

I often find that I get a second chance at gaining what I did not take, hand in a wallet at a police station and the next day win something on a scratch card etc.

Watch this space.:wink2:

Lmao... Cheques in the post x

Latest posts

Back