EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS (mod!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool thread!!

Ave been put off starting threads and asking questions about stuff that i am not familiar with (but thats the reason i am asking the Q's in the 1st place) but this has sort-of changed my mind!

xx

Cool thread!!

Ave been put off starting threads and asking questions about stuff that i am not familiar with (but thats the reason i am asking the Q's in the 1st place) but this has sort-of changed my mind!

xx

Good! sometimes completely new stuff is asked or a new slant on an old topic, but what ever it is, it does us all good to help each other, remember things we haven't for a while and sometimes have our way of doing things changed because we hear on here something completely different as said many times before so long as we are all here to help, support and learn the subject doesn't really matter, what none of us should do is judge, condemn or dismiss but thats not just on here, thats how, I hope, we all try to live.
I have had my life enriched by some wonderful geeks, most of whom I shall never meet, I hate it when one of my geeky friends disappears because of someones cruelty or thoughtlessness, no I'm not perfect, but does it do any harm to strive to be kinder and most of all to read what you have written before you hit that little button that posts it?

I found the original title of this thread very pointed toward a thread which has now been closed.....this thread title has now been changed which has also IMO changed the way new viewers will read this thread and the way it has gone thus far.

I always see threads like this (yes they come up from time to time and yes the board has always been very cyclical in positive/negative) as very patronising.

Newbies, when we all come out of our training think we know everything and it can be quite disappointing and upsetting to find that maybe we're not right.....hey, didn't we pay our money to achieve the best education and that's what we thought we got....we knew everything and could conquer the world......not until we get into that world and start working in a commercial environment.....then the **** hits the fan...... But now we're in the right place to learn and move on which is fabulous.

As was stated there are 15,000+ members of the site now and threads like this, in the way I look at it are pointed to every single member, whether active or not....apart from those few members the original poster has not in so many words mentioned....I feel like it's pointed at me, whether it is or isn't, I'm a member of the site after all.

There will always be situations that come up from time to time, but there's no need to make a song and dance about it surely....the Geek Commandments are frequently linked in threads for people to read.

And is the original impetus for this thread not breaching the Geek Commandments?

I found the original title of this thread very pointed toward a thread which has now been closed.....this thread title has now been changed which has also IMO changed the way new viewers will read this thread and the way it has gone thus far.

The Mods were asked to change the title and in turn let me know - so yes it was directed at another thread which was closed! However, it was for the whole of the site!

11 - Thou shalt THINK about the title of thou thread
The fastest way to get your thread ignored is by using titles like 'Help!!!??!?', 'Read this!', 'What do I do now?', etc... They are too vague and most geeks ignore them because the title doesn't say what the thread is about.​
While I'm at it, titles like 'Wot products u use 4 this?' is a great way to come across as a 14 year old trying to get your Sally Hansen bottle of nail enamel open. Most professionals will avoid threads with titles like this.​
I always see threads like this (yes they come up from time to time and yes the board has always been very cyclical in positive/negative) as very patronising.

You may believe it is patronising, but if trying to support the site in a positive way and indeed helping others to understand forum netiquette, then I will just have to seen as patronising!. I can not make people change their minds and I am not a mind reader so once some one's mind is made up - how can I change it? I like any other geek, are entitled to an opinion - doesn't make either correct though!

Newbies, when we all come out of our training think we know everything and it can be quite disappointing and upsetting to find that maybe we're not right.....hey, didn't we pay our money to achieve the best education and that's what we thought we got....we knew everything and could conquer the world......not until we get into that world and start working in a commercial environment.....then the **** hits the fan...... But now we're in the right place to learn and move on which is fabulous.

Yes - this is exactly what the site is about - helping each other - helping with new ideas - in every area of the site! and ultimately this is what I (and the majority of other geeks) want for the site - a friendly, supportive, helpful place to visit.

As a "newbie" when not "doing a search" I got asked to do one because I had posted at the same time about the same thing as a more experienced geek - so yes I know what it is like - but you get over it - even if it stings a bit at first!

7 - Thou shalt search for thy answers
Have a burning question? So have thousands of others (where do you think the 500,000 posts have come from?). Try a search to find your answer. If you cant find it or you are not fulfilled with the results feel free to post away!​
As was stated there are 15,000+ members of the site now and threads like this, in the way I look at it are pointed to every single member, whether active or not....apart from those few members the original poster has not in so many words mentioned....I feel like it's pointed at me, whether it is or isn't, I'm a member of the site after all.

How on earth can you not hurt their feelings with all these different personalities on the site?

I ALWAYS try and word my posts carefully and not direct it at anyone person - so I am wrong for doing that am I? I'm sure that more people would be angry if I singled anyone out - like some long serving geeks have recently - like the post on Sam's troll thread - which got deleted ?????

There will always be situations that come up from time to time, but there's no need to make a song and dance about it surely....the Geek Commandments are frequently linked in threads for people to read.

So you think that we should let horrible and down right hurtful posts be ignored - or that we have to respond to every post regardless of whether there has been a dozen before??? and that the mods have to moderate thousands of posts a week??? Surely it is better to add to a post than re posting the same old?? AND yes I know that this scenario doesn't always happen!

Does everyone read them (Commandments) when linked - if people are honest they will answer that they don't - I don't every time! Hence the copy and paste!

And is the original impetus for this thread not breaching the Geek Commandments?

I don't why you have a bee in your bonnet with regard to me Cathie, IMHO this thread does not go against the commandments - I re read them to check before I posted again - Perhaps some of my answers may to you now - but you asked the questions!

The title was originally for Becki, but it was changed BUT the content was for everyone and I tried to post constructively.

1 - Thou shalt post constructively.
Make your posts have a positive point. Posting just to complain without an effort to turn something positive or posting just to say 'is that so?' is a waste of reading space.

2 - Thou shalt not use thy forum to troll.
This is not the place to bitch and moan about proper nouns (i.e. People or companies). That doesn't mean that you can't debate, question or raise a valid point. It means that I don't want to see threads about how x sucks. See this article on constructively trolling to complain in a constructive way.​
I wasn't personally rude to anyone - however, it has been known for some geeks to be!!!

5 - Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you.
This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. I have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban with a shed load of negative reputation points. If you can't say it nicely, don't say it at all.

I think the majority of people would always say I try to post positively and in a manner which shows respect for fellow geeks.

All I can say is that a few geeks on the site obviously don't realise how hurtful they can be - if I have been inconsiderate then I truly apologise.

Like I said earlier, I will happily continue to read rather than post - I know that goes against the commandments - but bitten a dozen times or so then doubly shy!

Thank you again to all those people who have been an inspiration to me :hug:​

I wasn't having a go merely stating my opinion...I believe that I do support this site with help and information....yes I was wrong with the Troll thread.....and yes it was deleted as the name of this thread was changed....I don't have a problem with that, I was flippant in my posting I admit that.

I think I should just get on with my work and forget about netiquette, it obviously doesn't suit me.

Na night. x:hug:

I have not posted in a while, but I would like to add my thoughts.....

Deb your a darling and wouldnt hurt a soul:hug:

Cathie your a star and your not going anywhere, I would miss you as would everyone else:hug:

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:
my two pennies worth

Excellent thread, I'm gonna add my cents/pence tuppence worth :)

There seems to be an influx of peeps that are in training, not trained , exaggerating what they have done , ebay buyers, general public wanting to learn and often undercut and even those that seem to have no intention of training, also some that seem like out and out liars (there, I've said it and feel better) ..... although some may disagree.

I read profiles of peeps, their experience and their past posts and often none of the info matches up ..... go figure.

All this does for me is reinforce the Creative ideology of not supplying to less than qualified techs, yet many "less than qualified" techs come on this site and use it to promote themselves to something much more than they actually are.

There are even die-hard techs in here that still have had very little training, yet they rattle off advice like a real pro ..... often a cut and paste from a truly trained tech and a previous post.

Sometimes it annoys me, but I have learned to keep my mouth shut at times (yep Mr Loudmouth does refrain at times).

I could rave on for quite some time (and may add some stuff later), but for now i'm burning onions (pies, peas, mash & onions) and shall return at another time.

I don't think the problem is newbies in general or untrained people in general, its people who don't have the desire to learn and think they know everything. No one knows everything and everyone who wants to be a successful hair/skin/nail geek should appreciate that. There are lots of very skilled, knowledgeable people on this site who are happy to help everyone (as I well know). The problems come when the very very small minority of people choose to throw that help back in peoples faces. JMHO:hug:

There seems to be an influx of peeps that are in training, not trained , exaggerating what they have done , ebay buyers, general public wanting to learn and often undercut and even those that seem to have no intention of training, also some that seem like out and out liars (there, I've said it and feel better) ..... although some may disagree.

Yes I agree and they come and go all the time...thankfully because they don't make it in the industry and soon realise that without the proper training etc. they don't stand a chance.

I read profiles of peeps, their experience and their past posts and often none of the info matches up ..... go figure.

I do this too and sometimes feel that people are taking the ***.
But I give everyone the benefit of the doubt just in case they are unfamiliar with the site or are in training and have not filled in their profile properly.

All this does for me is reinforce the Creative ideology of not supplying to less than qualified techs, yet many "less than qualified" techs come on this site and use it to promote themselves to something much more than they actually are.

There are even die-hard techs in here that still have had very little training, yet they rattle off advice like a real pro ..... often a cut and paste from a truly trained tech and a previous post.

Sometimes it annoys me, but I have learned to keep my mouth shut at times (yep Mr Loudmouth does refrain at times).

Me too...sometimes you just have to put down the mouse and step away from the computer.

I could rave on for quite some time (and may add some stuff later), but for now i'm burning onions (pies, peas, mash & onions) and shall return at another time.

Yes please...any gravy???

More words of wisdom oh wise one and a yummy dinner too.
Any chance of a food parcel:green:

Latest posts

Back