EVERYONE SHOULD READ THIS (mod!)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snugglepuss

Reaction score
For me and many others the Geek site has been an integral part of our lives :green: and for some they remain (like myself) on the site continually trying to add interesting value and information for the whole world to share.

I haven't been posting much recently - for various reasons - time, work, littleuns - the geek ladies will understand and empathise and the cheeky geeky chappies will laugh and have a joke about it "women- they don't work hard they have an easy life"!

However, a couple of the reasons I haven't posted much is because I no longer know what is required of me - "don't be daft" I hear you shouting at the computer screen. However, the truth of the matter is that there are over 15,000 members now on the site - and that means a lot of newbies.

It takes a little time for the newbies to settle in and learn the ropes, but it appears that most don't bother reading the forum rules or the geek commandments - do a search or whatever! These are quite plainly accessible as sticky threads and I believe it actually says when you join "take time" to check the rules etc out.

What impact does this have on us as a site - but mostly on the mods???

Well for the mods it is far more extra work (which remember they do out of the goodness of their hearts and NOT because they get paid for it)!

A load of hassle, because sometimes both new and reasonably new people think they should have the last say and do not respect what the mods have to say.

When someone posts it can be misconstrued quite easily - someone (a counsellor/therapist) once said to me "but that is your perception and therefore, it is not reality" my reply to him was "but my perception is real to me IS REAL isn't it?" so after a moment of umming and arrring he had to agree!

For me though I hate the tumbleweed moments but have rationalised them now - if you only pop in for 5 mins at a time for example, then how many tumbleweed moments are you going to give others???? More than you have yourself.

The other thing I hate is the sometimes, judgemental troll like threads - we are all capable of misjudging someone from time to time, but IMHO if you do not like someone or do not agree with what they say you should keep it constructive or say it (fairly and nicely) in a PM - think whether your feelings would be hurt if someone said it to you - if the answer is yes - then you know not to say it!

What I have learnt though is that there are some truly amazing people on this site, who have given a lot of themselves to help and improve our careers, who have made us laugh (and cry) and lets focus on that :green:

Lastly, geeky friends - life goes in cycles - at the moment there appears to be a slightly down turn - but before you know it the positive side will have kicked in - whilst the positive side is up and running - prepare for the negative side and then it won't hit you as badly!

I have copied and pasted the Geek Commandments below rather than Link to them - no excuses not to read them

Commandments of a Geek
1 - Thou shalt post constructively.
Make your posts have a positive point. Posting just to complain without an effort to turn something positive or posting just to say 'is that so?' is a waste of reading space.​

2 - Thou shalt not use thy forum to troll.
This is not the place to bitch and moan about proper nouns (i.e. People or companies). That doesn't mean that you can't debate, question or raise a valid point. It means that I don't want to see threads about how x sucks. See this article on constructively trolling to complain in a constructive way.​

3 - Thou shalt Private Message if thy post is for one person.
Posts like 'hey sally, give me a buzz' is like texting 10,000 people in hopes that one of them will be the person you are trying to talk to. If your message is for 1 person, PM it. If its for more, post it!​

4 - Thou shalt post in the correct forum
Posting about 'how do I get a cool picture next to my name' does not belong in the Nail Art forum because it has jack all to do with nail art. Posting in the wrong forum is a fast way to get no responses whilst irritating the moderators as they then have to then move it.​

5 - Reply to others how you would like them to reply to you.
This is possibly THE most important of all commandments here. I have a low tolerance for members who show disrespect to others (even if the disrespect is somehow warranted). Rude and thoughtless posts are the fastest way to make you look like a right ass in front of the world. Its also a quick way to find yourself on the wrong side of a ban with a shed load of negative reputation points. If you can't say it nicely, don't say it at all.​

6 - Thou shalt not peddle thy wares
Advertising is allowed on the site via banners and auto-linking but not through posting. Threads started to bait and hook or advertise a service or product for your financial gain is a sure fire way to get your thread deleted and possibly get banned. I no longer allow threads to be started offering 'special deals for geeks only'. Posting these types of threads can lead to a ban.​
If another member is asking about your product or service, or if your products or services are relevant to the topic at hand you may respond without wording that would consider the post to be an advertisement. Once again, I would encourage you to ask a moderator if in doubt about this rule to avoid deletion of posts, an angry mob of geeks and a potential ban.​

7 - Thou shalt search for thy answers
Have a burning question? So have thousands of others (where do you think the 500,000 posts have come from?). Try a search to find your answer. If you cant find it or you are not fulfilled with the results feel free to post away!​

8 - Thou shalt not make thy signature look like the Vegas Strip.
Using 50 smiles and making every other word a different colour or making the signature the size of the grand canyon irritates countless (especially me). Keep your signatures clean and simple and follow this article on signature guidelines.​

9 - Thou shalt not make threads bitching about reputation points
This is a serious bug bear of mine and its also the fastest way to get more bad reputation points (en mass)!​

10 - Thou shalt use the spell checker
As long as you are using Internet Explorer, there is a spell checker built into all message editors in the upper right corner (the ABC with a tick). Poor spelling makes you and the site look bad. Google and the site indexes the misspellings and makes it more difficult to find answers and portray the site as the epicentre of professionalism.​

11 - Thou shalt THINK about the title of thou thread
The fastest way to get your thread ignored is by using titles like 'Help!!!??!?', 'Read this!', 'What do I do now?', etc... They are too vague and most geeks ignore them because the title doesn't say what the thread is about.​
While I'm at it, titles like 'Wot products u use 4 this?' is a great way to come across as a 14 year old trying to get your Sally Hansen bottle of nail enamel open. Most professionals will avoid threads with titles like this.​

12 - Thou shalt praise thy Auto-Linker.
The auto-linker is a very popular bit of code I wrote to give quick access to relevant links. An good example of an auto-link is this: MMA. If you are reading a post on and see an auto-link, hovering over it will generally give you more details on the word and usually a link to an article for more information.​

13 - Edit thy mistakes!
There is a fancy facility on the site here that actually allows you to edit your post. Its called the edit button. Use it if you spot typos or mistakes in your post.​

14 - Thou shalt learn how to use thy site
Read the 'How to do stuff on this site' forum as well as the Frequently Asked Questions area to maximise your geeking experience.​

15 - Thou shalt post at least 1 thought provoking thread per week
The best threads are those that stir up discussion and constructive debate. We all have different tastes and we don't always agree with one another. A thought provoking post should encourage our differences and champion our individuality without making someone feel bad because you do not agree with them.​

16 - Thou shalt not use off-site smilies/name plates
I have allowed these up until recently. I'm not going to jump down anyones throat for it yet, however I kindly request you to stop using them. Why? These images are almost ALWAYS ad trackers (like spy ware). As cute as some of them are, our priority should be for the privacy of the users of the site​

17 - Thou shalt link to www.salongeek.com whenever possible
I don't mean 'go spam other sites' or link to it in your posts here. Other sites with links to this one encourages more users and also increases page ranking on Google.​
18 - Thou shalt not libel or make racist comments
Libel is 'written slander' or defamation. Writing libellous comments about people is a sure way to get yourself sued and/or banned from the site
19 - Though shall not give pseudo-professional advice

In the forums where you are not a professional (i.e. the Hair Geek forum if you are not a professional hair messer) you may not give advice. This is a forum for professionals and the only way to keep it that way is to make sure that you are very careful in your comments that you make in forums where you hold no qualifications. It is fine to chime in with opinion as long as it does not lead readers to construe that the information you have given is a professional recommendation. On that note, please do NOT recommend OTC (Over the counter) products and services. These are not professional.
20 - Thou shalt not suggest more commandments in this thread.
Just PM me the suggestion and ill look at implementing it. It looks odd for there to be a 'hey, you should include xyz in the commandments' only to have it added later. In other words, once it gets added it looks like you didn't freaking read them in the first place!​

21 - Thou shalt visit this page once a week
Not only to refresh your memory but also to see how the commandments evolve.​

Three cheers for Snugglepuss Hip Hip:lol:

I feel just the same way, in fact I have just replied to becki's thread and kept my very personal comment on someone else's comments to a pm for becki

Fabulous thought provoking post as always Debs! Sorry I need to spread the lurve or reps would be on their way.

I have been thinking about recent times on here and have come to the following conclusion:

If newbies could come on here with the intention of learning, as they would when going into a class situation. When asking a question they need to be prepared to be taught and to learn - once they have earned their stripes so to speak, they then can become the teacher.

This is the way that thankfully most of our new members behave, but unfortunately we do have some now and again who enter the class and want to outdo the teacher at every opportunity. They then have to accept that the teacher may chuck them out of class.

If newbies could come on here with the intention of learning, as they would when going into a class situation. When asking a question they need to be prepared to be taught and to learn - once they have earned their stripes so to speak, they then can become the teacher.

This is the way that thankfully most of our new members behave, but unfortunately we do have some now and again who enter the class and want to outdo the teacher at every opportunity. They then have to accept that the teacher may chuck them out of class.

Well put Fiona :green::hug:

It comes back to the same old thing - they can hide behind a screen and whether it be a question or a comment some people think it will impact/hurt less because they can not be seen.

The truth of the matter is that it does hurt whether it was the woman who said to my face the other day "see ya later fatty" or a geek who said I had "no right to voice my opinion"

Sassy will tell you, I get really caught up when I do a search because there's some amazing stuff on here - all forgotton about!

Do one - I promise geeky ones you will not be disappointed :lol:

Although i am a very opinianated person,and rather hot headed by nature....i do try and be diplomatic in my answers....I have in the past been on the recieving end of people who have judged me harshly...not here on the site but in other circumstances.....so as ive experienced that...and its not a nice feeling i would never go out of my way to intentionally hurt others....although if any of you have a shot gun at hand,you have my permission to shoot at will to my soon to be ex landlord...:lol::lol::green:

Although i am a very opinianated person,and rather hot headed by nature....i do try and be diplomatic in my answers....:lol::lol::green:
IMHO that is cool - you have your right to your opinion and putting it diplomatically creates a good theme for a debate :hug:

Now let's find something to sort out your landlord with :lol: - maybe some love - that always flumoxes horrible people :lol:

Well put and well done . I wholeheartedly agree with you.

Iv nothing to add- you have said it all beautifully.

:hug::hug: Elaine xx

Well said Debs - as always, the voice of diplomacy xxx:hug:

I really didn't want a big whoo haa,just advise.

I appreciate your sentiment Debs,this thread is a great reminder to everyone,and should be kept positive,afterall,we are here cos we love this place so much

:hug:

A highly commendable thread Snugglepuss.

I really don't know what's been going on lately as I don't have the time to brows through all the msg. here. BUT, I find this a little bit strange... In one thread, weeks (or months?) ago, somebody asked newbies to write more and everybody agreed. Now the same people want them to be more "tip-toed"???

Another thing... There are people from all over the world here. Some speak fluently English and express themselves very good, others do not. We also have different ways of handle qustions/problems. For example in Norway, the Englishmen are well known for being too diplomatic, and not in a positive way. Sorry if I offended anybody, maybe I shouldn't come here, with the majority of Englishmen being here, saying this... After all, it's only a myth, but I think there is something in it. The Norwegians are very directly and provoking , maybe too much... So what happens when a Norwegian and an Englishman meet up??? :eek: I never got any problems when in UK, but I've had my "ups and downs" here. Both because of the language barrier and because of different way to behave. I soon learned to either deal with it or to take a deep breath and stay away for a while.

C.

Fabulous thought provoking post as always Debs! Sorry I need to spread the lurve or reps would be on their way.

I have been thinking about recent times on here and have come to the following conclusion:

I really don't know what's been going on lately as I don't have the time to brows through all the msg. here. .........

C.

I think this can be the problem sometimes - if people spend a lot of time away from the site due to being busy with other things in their lives, they miss out on some stuff which the moderators deal with in terms of flare ups which we delete and then infrequent visitors dont know what has been being said etc.

This is not any criticism of those infrequent visitors, but it does explain some of these "unusual" threads LOL.

Excellent thread as usual, thanks hun:hug:

I just think its "people"...funny creatures we are. Wouldn't be right to all be the same.

At some point i think we have all replied in a way that others would say wasn't right...no-ones perfect and you cant please everyone all of the time.

I just think its "people"...funny creatures we are. Wouldn't be right to all be the same.

At some point i think we have all replied in a way that others would say wasn't right...no-ones perfect and you cant please everyone all of the time.

Couldn't have put it better and my thoughts too :)

I class my self as a "newbie" having only found this site a couple of months ago, however I really enjoy coming on here not only for advice on professional topics but also for a good chat to some lovely people. I have posted many times, participated in the secret santa and am hoping the geek meet in Scotland materialises but I have to say that sometimes threads like this make me feel a bit alienated. I have read the geek commandments and as far as I am aware have never broken them. I understand that there are certain people that break site rules and these people get to us all but I fear that to new people, and we were all new here at some point, this site may seem like a bit of a clique. When i read things such as - "It takes a little time for the newbies to settle in and learn the ropes, but it appears that most don't bother reading the forum rules or the geek commandments - do a search or whatever! These are quite plainly accessible as sticky threads and I believe it actually says when you join "take time" to check the rules etc out." - I want to scream no not me I dont do this! I just feel that as a "newbie" I am being put into that group and it saddens me.

JMHO - I hope I havent offended anyone. Teresa. x

you shouldn't feel like that at all Teresa....everyone can be guilty of not always doing or saying things strictly to the rules...its not fair or welcoming to just blame newbies....if it wasn't for the newbies then where would we be...?? where would all the new questions come from..?? yeah most are the same sort of thing but its not fair to keep saying Do a Search...otherwise this just becomes a search engine and not a forum.

Totally agree Bagpuss.I dont think it has much to do with being new or not reading the geek comandments but more to do with different personalities.

At the end of the day most of us really don't know eachother and its difficult to guage the way someones saying something from the way they write.This is why we have to use our smilies and hugs so much.I wrote something the other day which was a joke but i didnt put a smilie after it and some people took it seriously.

I do think posts like this give a bit of a them and us feel to the forum and i dont like them,we should all remember how it felt to be new.
Having said that there is no need for people to be rude and abrupt...but then again thats how some people deal with things we are not all eloquent and able to convey our grievences in another way, but when if it gets too bad thats what the mods are for.

First and foremost I didn't post this thread for any other reason than to make people aware that inconsiderate posting can hurt peoples feelings - it won't be the first time somebody says something hurtful and it certainly won't be the last!

Now, I love newbies and certainly do not class them as a pain or anything else BUT welcome them with open arms - anything new they bring with them is a good thing :hug: - in fact I even said it takes someone new, a while to settle in other words give em a break!.

Now the search and geek commandment thing - we should all do a search really before we post - sometimes in our excitement we forget - fair dos - but as I also stated, there is a wealth of info which hasn't been read in a long while and the mods end up linking back to it!

As for the commandments - we should read them - they are there for a purpose to help and guides us through our geeking experience - to make it more enjoyable - is it a bad thing then to be reminded of them ????

All I can say, is here we go again - someone has a right to their opinion - (that means everyone not just me)! and as a generalism , I wish people would take a chill pill!

Well like I said right at the start - I don't have a lot of time and I think the time on here will be cut altogether - certainly posting - maybe not reading!

(Oh had I be careful? incase someone thinks I am being to sef opiniated? for no reason and for wanting the site to be the best and without negativity!)

Sorry Sam, Geeg, Mods and for the geeks who truly love the site! I feel beaten down by it all I don't know how you cope with it! think you need mega hugs :hug: and I will still send you all moral support :hug:

Thank you for all the information the fab geeks have provided :hug:

This, like lots of these threads seems to have gone off topic and ever so slightly sour. What started as a support thread has gone slightly askew - partly I think due to my post - I had initially thought it was referring to something else LOL.

As has been said, where would we be without the new blood to come on and learn but also to teach us what is being taught in different training establishments - and I dont include ebay as a training establishment LOL.

No one is jumping on newbies as being a bad bunch, quite the contrary in fact.

We all have the same passion (hopefully) to make the beauty industry as great as it can be and if sometimes we come across as aggressive or protective then that is down to passion when we see something being undermined.

I hope I havent added fuel to the smouldering fire here but please lets not have another supportive thread having to be closed due to misunderstandings.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

Latest posts

Back