EWWWWWW!!!!! This is sad...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ms.Matrix

Tweetacular Geek!
Reaction score
I was just browsing and found this undercover video on youtube...
Sadly, I have witnessed some of these type things first hand...where will it end? When will proper procedure become first hand??

YouTube - Salon Secrets Exposed! part 2

omg that is shocking ,
It would put me off going for a pedicure put it that way ..so imagine how potential clients would feel after watching that !!!

It's amazing isn't it! I wish there was something more we could do as proffesionals. Bad practices seem to pop up faster than our attempts to educate clients. It's scary!

omg that was disgusting :eek:, i feel like i should make a big sign saying everything is sanitised between clients :lol:, it is terrible but does make us all look bad :eek:
yuk yuk yuk , i am so glad i do my own feet :lol:

maybe it should be stndard practice to let the clients see you sanitise everything 1st? i know it would add time on but i would do it if it meant my clients felt safer (even though i am thorough about clening things anyway , lol) sometimes this industry rushes so much (so they can make more money) it just ruins it for decent therapists

As with most sensationalist news stories all it does is highlight the negatives and doesn't focus on the positives and puts people off having it done full stop. And why ask a doctor for his opinion? We're not operating on people - for him to say never to have a pedicure is totally irresponsible. People die from infections after operations, would his advice be on a similar tack? Don't be operated on? No! It would advise people of what questions they should be asking themseles about what makes a good hygienic hospital.

I agree there is a problem, but I disagree as usual at the irresponsible way that the media reports it ... nothing sells better than bad news I guess.

yeah i agree with you hun but it is very bad isnt it ? look at poor nail fx and what happened to her !!
i would hate my clients to ever see an advert like that and think i worked the same way :eek:

THAT IS A PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEGATIVE PROMOTION!!!!... sadly, but it frows a shade to ALL the manicure or pedicure salons.. :(

no, really...to take me..i am not a profesional, more a user of this kind of services. i can do a simple manicure & nail art to myself...but then i want something more & of better quality i go to see profesional... & HOW, HOW ever can i guess if this place isn't anything like were shown in the video?!!!!..

ok, i take services from only the person i do know good, & i'm meeting her deffenately not for the first time...but still!!! how to be sure your health is in good hends?!!!aspecially if You trying it for a first time?!!!..

hope You've understood, what i wanted to say... :sad: ...that is realy sad... and after such video's many potential clients will fink twice longer wether they really need such servises... & that makes them more suspicious & full of disbelieve even against really honest & good salons... 'cause we, users, can never know ...
that is nasty, unpleasant & really sad situation :sad:

soapbox.gif

The purpose of me posting this was to show that we as nails tech have to continue to educate our clients and ourselves and show the world that may have seen this that all salons are not created equal.

As stated earlier, sadly I have seen this type thing first hand and was shocked because like Vitochka stated in her post..I do my own, but my cousin took me to a spa for my birthday earlier this year and I had a massage, mini-facial, manicure and pedicure, and I was sooooooooooooooooo upset!!!! The lady used a credo blade on the bottom of my feet
22_yikes.gif
(my feet peeled for weeks afterward), she used things such as buffer blocks etc that had already been used beforehand, but I didn't say anything because my cousin was there and this was her birthday gift to me and I didn't want to seem ungrateful.
hide.gif

When it came time for the manicure, I asked the young lady how long she had went to school for this and she said "School, no, no school"
faint5.gif
I asked her had she taken any classes? "No, school, no" I was...honestly, I don't know what I was, all I could think about was getting the heck out of there as fast as I could. I told my cousin later about my observations and she told me that she too thought something was amiss, that's when I started rattling off about sanitation and so on.

It's so sad that the unsupecting public is going to these places to be pampered and are being lead to a perverbial slaughter, because of all of these "cowboy" technicians (and I use that term loosely) that all gang up and work in a salon off of one person's license, and not to be prejudice, racist or bias but it always seems to be the same group all of the time, in every instance I have seen or every instance I have heard.

I know that I am not doing nails at this time, but just knowing that this is going on MAKES MY BLOOD BOIL
rant.gif
and it seems to be the rule rather than the exception and I am sick to death of it!!!
boxing.gif
Something has to be done!!!

I'll put my soapbox away now....

This is so typical of NSS, though. The salons highlighted here are obviously NSS. I'm not taking a pop at oriental technicians here (because I know there are very good qualified oriental techs), but I did not see one non oriental pedicurist on the footage (excuse the pun). I agree that it focuses on the negative but then we can find very little, if anything that is positive about NSS salons.

Perhaps the other side of the coin could have been to also show video footage of the procedures in many reputable salons.

The thing is though,
So many people tend to think that it is "normal" for it too hurt when they have their nails done, or that we "rip them off" (overcharging that is, not rip the nails off !) because they can get their nails done at a nss much cheaper ,

They think its normal to have weak thin nails after having artificial enhancements on.
Everything us professionals detest ,so many people think is "just the way it is"

Now as individuals we can all try to educate our clients, and hope that they go and tell their friends or anybody else who uses NSS salons how professional we are compared to these salons , and hope their friends listen,
I think once you have a old NSS client ,you have probably got them for good.
but its getting them in.

But how do we do this without sounding like we are just trying to keep them ourselves ?
or without slating NSS and risking sounding unprofessional ?

I read sassys post about not slating them, but pointing out all the positives about how professional WE are, but again, without pointing out the differences some clients just wont reallise,how important these facts are !

What can we do as a community to make people aware ?
Obviously the media are only interested in a good story which is usually a bad story :rolleyes:
What can we do ? is there anything ?
Or do we really just have to keep quiet and forget about it ,?

Im not really bothered over the fact that NSS have clients that could be ours blah blah blah, Im lucky not to have one in my town,

What I am bothered about (same as all of you im sure) is what is shown on this clip,
people are being put off having services that we provide for life. or are even being scarred for life,by something which should be beautiful, and enhance their appearence and confidence.

ooh was that a bit of a long one ??? I need a brew now !!!

This is a great thread.

I agree things like this need to be seen, but also to give the clients the info they need so they know what to look for in a reputable salon that uses all sanitization as required and has had proper training.

People who aren't in the industry won't know what's good and what isn't. This is why we all must strive to educate our clients so they educate others.

This just makes me more determined to do it right and make sure the client gets what they want without leaving me with something they don't.

This is shocking! I have found that at the college where i trained in beauty from the beginning we were all made very aware of these kind of things yet still some of the ladys/girls did not make sure that tools and equipment were not cleaned to a high standard.
To me it is my number one and should be everyones.
Eeeeuuwwww, just had a nice pedicure too......... but it's ok, it was my own bowl :)

Latest posts

Back