Ex-dermatophagist needs help with overgrowing eponychium

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseylotte

Reaction score
Hey all,

I finally quit my lifetime habit of dermatophagy (I had thought I was bad till I saw pics on the net!!! I had it mild :lol: )

Before I was constantly "tidying" my dry, overgrowing, splitting eponychium by peeling the skin off around my fingertips and picking tiny dry edges into craters down the sides of my nails :(

Now that I have stopped (almost entirely, I still catch myself looking for edges), I realise that my eponychium clings to my nails really badly, unless I do something, they will end up a mm or more too long and begin to fray and split.

I've been using E45 and Nailtiques oil therapy daily. What can I do to solve this?
I'm talking about the eponychium itself not the cuticle (which I hardly ever see since the eponychium is sticking around so long!

Thanks in advance
Lotte*

a power pack for eponychium and cuticle is:

solar oil and cuticle eraser rubbed in daily together..

Solar oil is the miracle oil for nails - nothing on the market works quite as well, this is why solar oil is in the beauty hall of fame - search on here, you'll find massive information on it..

Cuticle eraser is a mild AHA complex that will help shed off the dead skin cells, this in turn allows the eponychium to grow and roll naturally without the dry surface cells causing it to grab, crack or pull.. It will also help break down any cuticle on the nail plate surface

I'm so very pleased to hear you have beaten this terrible habit - its very hard to do...

Thanks Envy :D

Solar Oil is in the post then! I have a Cutipen already but never used it... I've been trimming :Scared: because the salon girl did it when I went for my first ever manicure a month ago... I've read all the topics now pointing out that I'll only make it more tough and resistant this way!

Any other suggestions? I have Shellac on at the moment, I guess I just work in the margin I've left when applying it?

Can you start a Jersey "Cuticles Anonymous" I'd join! I can't stop picking atm, just one thumb, grrr

Thanks Envy :D

Solar Oil is in the post then! I have a Cutipen already but never used it... I've been trimming :Scared: because the salon girl did it when I went for my first ever manicure a month ago... I've read all the topics now pointing out that I'll only make it more tough and resistant this way!

Any other suggestions? I have Shellac on at the moment, I guess I just work in the margin I've left when applying it?

It is ok to trim any skin that is peeled away and therefore dead... BUT if you can feel it DON'T cut it!!!

Solar oil is ultra light and will penetrate shellac, moisturizing the nail underneath
Cuticle eraser will be very helpful for you also

I wanted to bring this thread up again as I have a new client who has come to me from another therapist who told her she needed to have her shellac off for a while to let her nails recover!! (And she had a burn on her lip from peelable wax that was applied too hot) Grrrrrrr....

Her nails are quite flaky at the tips and on three or four fingers she has the most enormous thick and hardened eponychium I have ever seen!! She says solar oils three times a day....we'll have to reserve judgement on that but I have bought some CND AHA Cuticle Eraser for her to try.

I have read on here that once a day before solar oil is the way ahead. I'm assuming this won't affect her nail coverings in any way? Is there any benefit to twice daily application in the first instance? Will she always need to use this regime?

I hope someone can help. I appreciate many geeks are busy with PB weekend - my lady is coming in on Tuesday to collect the stuff.
Thanks

bumping up in case anyone can help....

Think of cuticle eraser as shampoo and solar oil like conditioner. Daily is a safe minimum...

They work so very well together. But there is still good benefit in multiple uses of solar oil
It won't harm (and in fact will help a lot) the nail coating ...

Hths

Latest posts

Back