Ex employer keeping certificates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chazzybabe

Reaction score
hi everyone,

i have recently left a job place, due to many different reasons, i was sent on training for a course and because i have left the position she will not give me my certificate for the course and saying i have to pay her, although we never had a contractual agreement for this.

where do i stand, thanks in advance :) x

No contract I guess she can do what she likes to a degree. How long ago did you do the course compared to when you left? IE did you do the course and 1month later, leave?

No contract I guess she can do what she likes to a degree. How long ago did you do the course compared to when you left? IE did you do the course and 1month later, leave?

thanks for your reply, i was only there for a short period of time due to hours not being what was agreed, so had to leave.
i just thought seeing as my name was on the certificate that she had no right to with hold it, i could be wrong seeing as she paid for training.

Surely if you phone the place that you did the training with they will send you out another certificate?

Surely if you phone the place that you did the training with they will send you out another certificate?

I have also done this and they have refused as she has been in contact with them and told them not to, which I don't think is right

Thats strange. I would have thought if you did the training and you passed the course then you would have the right to have a copy of the certificate.

Thats strange. I would have thought if you did the training and you passed the course then you would have the right to have a copy of the certificate.

Yeah so did I, pretty disgusted with the company tbh I offered to pay for a new one to be sent out and they refused and are just taking my bosses word for it regardless of why I had to leave ect.

I don't understand it, surely as you did the training the certificate is your property?

What company did you do your training with?

I don't understand it, surely as you did the training the certificate is your property?

You would think so, I've been in touch with citizens advice to see if they can help just waiting for them to get back to me, regardless I still have the qualification but at the end of the day I see it as mine as it has my name on it!

I could be wrong, I'll happily be corrected, but the contract for training was between the salon owner and the training company, you were just nominated to attend. I know of two cases where Nouveau (for LVL) and HD Brows refused to send a duplicate certificate to the person that had actually done the training and then left the salon within a matter of weeks.

How long was it between you doing the training and leaving?

Given that there's no contract between you and the salon owner, either in your favour or hers, then perhaps consider coming to an agreement about paying her something - because lets face it, she's paid to send you on a training course and is going to get no benefit whatsoever from it.

She paid to send you on the course for the benefit of the salon and now you have left within a short period of time. She's quite right. It would cost her a fortune training staff for them to leave shortly thereafter.

Either pay her for the cert or if you really feel put out you can pay to attend the course again with the providers then she's left with a bit of paper that means nothing.

How long after the training did you leave?

I'm torn, I know if I was the salon owner I would of wanted you stay for a certain amount of time to pay for the training. But I would of had that put in writing so that if you did leave you would of had to pay. But they didn't put it in writing so really there is no obligation on your behalf to pay, especially if none of this was stated to you verbally beforehand. Do you really need the certificate? I know hairdressing is an unregulated industry so you don't need any qualifications at all anyway. You have done the course and have the knowledge on how to do it so just keep doing it regardless of the certificate.

I know when Sassoon offered me a position they said I would be contracted to stay with them for 2 years or I would be liable for all my training costs. But that would have been in my employment contract.

Thanks for all your comments guys I do understand your points, I left probably 3 weeks after training I was only there for about 5 months, the reason I left is because she couldn't give me the hours she promised so I was left with not enough work or hours to pay my bills, I do feel in a way if I had signed a contract I know I would have to pay her for the training, but she never arranged this so I don't feel obliged, but then I do understand being miffed off that I had left quite soon after, but then again this is down to her for not having it in writing! When I left she told me I would have to pay her for training as I left before a year was up and would be holding my certificates until then.

And yeah I can still carry on and perform the treatment as I am still qualified just don't have the paper to say I do.
[emoji18] x

Ask the training provider for a copy of their terms and conditions.

Usually the student has to agree to abide by the rules of the training centre and normally signs something to this effect. Therefore, there is a contractual relationship between the training provider and the student.

Whilst the salon owner paid the course fees, the training company has provided the service and awarded the certificate to the nominated attendee. Therefore the contract between the training company and the Salon owner has been satisfied.

Unless you signed a contract stating that the Salon owner may recoup x percentage of fees and withhold your certificate if you leave within a specified period, I don't see on what legal basis they are entitled to withhold the certificate?

I would write a simple formal letter to the Salon owner requesting them to make arrangements for you to collect your certificate.

I'm afraid you don't really have any rights to the certificate. The salon and the trainers have the contract, it's just your name.

As a salon owner I'd be really miffed if I paid for your training and you left. The situation with hours is a tricky one. Sometimes it doesn't work out as you anticipate.

There is no benefit to her to hang onto it but I'm assuming she paid and paid you to do the training. You can offer her some money for your cert and do check that your insured without evidence of a certificate x

Agree with everyone above. As a salon owner I would be Gutted if I shelled out for a course and then the stylist left a few weeks later. I think as you have already said you are happy to pay the company for a copy of your certificate, why don't you just offer your ex boss the money instead or at least half the cost of the course so that she can recoup some of her costs as she now has to pay to send someone else on the training.

I think I would be annoyed if an employee left 3 weeks after training. Your boss would be well out of pocket and you would have a free qualification!

Latest posts

Back