ExCeL - what d'ya reckon?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kathryn

Reaction score
Hello geekettes, geeks and geeklings

Was just hoping a few of you who attended the show at the weekend could help me out with a bit of feedback and let me know what you thought of it all.

Feel free to pm me or email me ([email protected]) if you prefer.

All feedback would be really helpful though... and I know you geeks like to talk.

Cheers all
Kat
xx
Deputy Ed
Professional Nails

PS: Well done Rufus on achieving mega-Geek status as moderator!

Hi Kat,

I really enjoyed my trip to Excel on Sunday. Improvements could be made on the sign-posting to Excel and also a bit more air conditioning at particularly busy stands. Other than that though, I had a fab day and bought loads of goodies. I do prefer Excel rather to Olympia as the foyer was pleasant to lounge around and plenty of choice for eateries. A great choice of exhibitors and best of all was watching all the fab demos. Well done and thanks to everyone involved!

Hi Kat, I really enjoyed my day at Excel, although I did find it a bit too hot. It was great to meet up with fellow geeks and put names to faces. The thing that sticks out most in my mind about the day was visiting Creative Stand. The attention to detail, help and service from the Creative Team was the best ever. I am sure other geeks will second that......
David

I really enjoyed the BABTAC make up seminar with Cheryl Gushue...Very good. Given me of ideas and inspirations. Was hot but it was a very hot day outside. I thought the venue was excellent compared to waiting for the park and ride bus at the last show at olympia. I had no problems finding the excel centre all though I did phone up and they told me to park in east car park otherwise I would not have know what way to go once I got there. Drove all the way on my own had no problems. Was dissapointed to see the drilling on natural nals like others have posted on this site. Very pleased with all my bargains!!! :D

Right ... I wasn't there ... but I do keep my finger on the pulse!!

So I am going to make a giant complaint and a big suggestion (as I have done on several occasions in the past but have been ignored). This is not directed at you Kathryn but at the main organizer who refuses to support those who support the shows as competitors.

The nail competitions:

When please, are we going to have a proper MC to run the awards ceremony and give these competitors the recognition they are due for all the hard work and effort and money they put in to enter these competitions and make the PB shows a bit more exciting.?????
All winners should get proper recognition and have a platform and a small interview with the MC to encourage others to come along and compete. The way things stand at the moment, why should anyone bother? Some razzmatazz instead of the boring amateurish reading out of names and passing out of certificates that we have Had at the PB shows for years. We had better more exciting competitions 15 years ago when people like Jan Arnold were invited to MC the event and give out the trophies.

This is not the first time these suggestions have been made. If PB is asking for feedback then maybe it should follow up and listen to it and act upon it. What good is feedback if no one listens. We posted a thread like this after the last non-event competition. Thanks for listening.

I loved Excel, alot more than when it was at Olympia. I know Olympia was bigger but it felt claustrophobic compared to Excel.

I loved all the stands especially the EZ Flow stand. Everyone was so helpful and quick with advice. I loved keep chatting with Antony Buckley. He never got bored of answering questions and giving us all so much advice and tips on applications of Fibreglass and L&P.

You've inspired me Ant, i have finally done my first encapsulated 3D nail art. Run out of room to post it on here but Caz loves it. You are an inspiration to us all and very professional at all times.

Loved meeting the GMG, he was so nice and easy to talk to.

All in all Excel was very enjoyable, abit hot after a while, but i loved the fact the nails were seperate to the beauty part, easier when it comes to navigate your way around, its so easy to get disorientated when you are finding what direction you need to go in.

Excel is great space wise and in regards to the space for eating, however as a public transport traveller it is a nightmare. From Hertfordshire, London is basically 30 mins by train, but in order to get to Excel you have to do mainline, underground and two docklands trains. Due to engineering works it took over two hours on Sunday! Monday was a little better but still took 1 hour 30. I now see that Autumn Prof Nails/Beauty2005 is being touted at Earls Court? What's this all about after the big fanfare move to Excel?

Way too hot and crowded on the Sunday and disappointingly quiet on the Monday (for the exhibitors that is!).

Visited the Professional Beauty/Nails VIP lounge on Monday lunchtime to find a champagne reception ongoing to a select few. However they ran out of champagne after 10 mins! How's that for brilliant organisation!

Disappointed not to see Scratch magazine there. Rivalry within the industry does the industry no good and I'd like all those involved to work together for the common good of the industry. Too many shows mean all the exhibitors will not be able to afford the money or the manpower involved and we will just see an even greater fragmentation which benefits no-one.

Being my first ever beauty show - it was quite a bit to take in, but i thoroughly enjoyed the day, even though a day is certainly not enough to see everything. Everything about it was great but i certainly enjoyed the demos its great to see other work being done rather than just seeing it in magazines etc. Cant wait till the next one and i will be booking plenty of time of work to cover it! x

Do-it-all Deb said:
Excel is great space wise and in regards to the space for eating, however as a public transport traveller it is a nightmare. From Hertfordshire, London is basically 30 mins by train, but in order to get to Excel you have to do mainline, underground and two docklands trains. Due to engineering works it took over two hours on Sunday! Monday was a little better but still took 1 hour 30. I now see that Autumn Prof Nails/Beauty2005 is being touted at Earls Court? What's this all about after the big fanfare move to Excel?

Disappointed not to see Scratch magazine there. Rivalry within the industry does the industry no good and I'd like all those involved to work together for the common good of the industry. Too many shows mean all the exhibitors will not be able to afford the money or the manpower involved and we will just see an even greater fragmentation which benefits no-one.
All these are great points to consider.

The poor Exhibitors just get pushed form pillar to post with no consultation on the part of the organizers. Then if the people fail to show up who looses?? NOT the organizers I can tell you.

The situation with Scratch was patheticaly apparent to all and just smacks of petty jealousy. My husband who is Chairman of Designer Nails/Creative was actually told he couldn't enter the building because someone thought he was Scot Derbyshire form Scratch Magazine???? Well that was sorted out but honestly!!!

geeg said:
The situation with Scratch was patheticaly apparent to all and just smacks of petty jealousy. My husband who is Chairman of Designer Nails/Creative was actually told he couldn't enter the building because someone thought he was Scot Derbyshire form Scratch Magazine???? Well that was sorted out but honestly!!!

That is terrible, Simon doesn't look anything like Scot LOL.

I find the shows are horrendously crowded, especially on the Sunday - they are filled with people on a feeding frenzy buying products that they maybe can't buy through the right doors.

I personally think that if the organisers made it cheaper for the exhibitors then the exhibitors would not have to sell so much to cover their costs and it could be more of a demonstration show rather than a "sale".

I only really bought the Mogul collection on the Creative stand as it is financially more beneficial for me to buy direct and get my points LOL. I appreciate that there are show offers but then if the companies only brought the show offers then there would be more time and space for us to be able to get near to see the demos without people fainting LOL.

I would happily pay for my ticket - well not too much LOL if it meant that it improved the show aspect rather than the sales aspect.

I also think that the organisers should do what they say and not allow under 16s - I appreciate that some might look over 16 so they will slip through the net but surely the ones in pushchairs can't be considered over 16 LOL.

Do-it-all Deb said:
Way too hot and crowded on the Sunday and disappointingly quiet on the Monday (for the exhibitors that is!).
i sooo agree, i was there on sunday and frankly i couldnt get out of there fast enough :twisted: . perhaps monday would be a beeter option for me but then public transport is more crowded and expensive. for those who attend on mondays, do the suppliers run out of stock, thats another reason i went on the sunday.

I went on the Sunday and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the (much needed) VIP lounge with free tea & coffee for PN gold card holders! Also, I finally got my mitts on a bottle of Solar Oil (made my day!) and managed to get some books for my upcoming courses. On the downside, the show became exceptionally busy on Sunday afternoon and particularly the Creative stand, which was mobbed (!) so it was difficult to see the demos etc, and I also wanted to get a subscription to Scratch magazine but they weren't there which I was disappointed about.

On this point, my opinion is that healthy competition is good for any industry. Without it one can stagnate, and not keep up with what the customers require. Our wonderful industry thrives because we share info & techniques (on sites such as this!) to help us all become better, and in the end the whole industry benefits.

Kitten said:
I went on the Sunday and must say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I loved the (much needed) VIP lounge with free tea & coffee for PN gold card holders! Also, I finally got my mitts on a bottle of Solar Oil (made my day!) and managed to get some books for my upcoming courses. On the downside, the show became exceptionally busy on Sunday afternoon and particularly the Creative stand, which was mobbed (!) so it was difficult to see the demos etc, and I also wanted to get a subscription to Scratch magazine but they weren't there which I was disappointed about.

On this point, my opinion is that healthy competition is good for any industry. Without it one can stagnate, and not keep up with what the customers require. Our wonderful industry thrives because we share info & techniques (on sites such as this!) to help us all become better, and in the end the whole industry benefits.
I make that 4 out of 12 posts have mentioned scratch Magazine not being allowed to be at the show was a disappointment. 33% of your feedback poll so far. I wonder if that will be acted upon before the next show comes around or will scratch be banned again??

Yep, I too was disappointed not to see Scratch there. I was also expecting to renew my A.N.T memebership.

Otherwise, apart from it being too hot generally and too crowded in the demo areas I had a lovely (if exhausting) time.

Regards,

Karen

I am like kitten i had gone on sunday to subscribe to Scratch magazine and was very disappointed not to see them there.

Enjoyed the creative demo's when i managed to see them but left at 2pm as was getting far too crowded.

What is this about a champagne reception, only coffee, tea and biscuits on sunday

Yep, i agree about the Champagne reception, i got half a glass so i think myself lucky. There were a few moaners who expected something a bit special.

The awards ceremony was dissapointing for those who deserve the limelight, even if it is for a few seconds. I couldnt hear you Kat, and i had to ask who won the fantasy nail art, which is rather embarasing as i was the judge!!! :rolleyes:

Phil had his laptop pinched from the stand ( we take it to show off the website) and is gutted, security help but as yet we are still waiting on a crime number.

Anyway enough moans, all together a fantastic show, great to see lots of old faces and many new, great to see all the geeks, (sorry i did not have much time to chat, was so busy, even with 8 staff), We sold out of loads of products, (sorry to those who can for the pearl glitter!) and i am now busy counting lots more rhinestones!!!!!!!!! Roll on the next show!!!!!!!!!

Also its a good idea to let exhibitors know that it is a £900 PER BALLOON charge if its let off, seeing as i had 42, i would have had a rather large bill!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek:

I too looked for scratch and was surprised that they weren't there, i really wanted to subscribe on Monday. Why weren't they there?

If i can next show, i will make sure i can do both days, one is not enough really.

I thought the show was great. Yea, I had the brag rights of saying that my demos make women faint but seriously... It was too freaking hot! However it looks as if there was a problem with the AC in the nails section. If I heard right... the beauty side seemed to be working.

I too was disapointed about the lack of scratching going on... however I am sure there are very good reasons behind it. Sometimes all isnt as black and white as it may seem on the surface. Giving all parties involved the benefit of the doubt is the only fair way to go.

The competition accident was a very unfortunate mistake. No one won out of that situation (well, I say that... but in my opinion I think Caroline and Ruth turned out to be the big winners from it... good on you chicks!)

At the end of the day, it was still a great show in a great venue. I really dig what time we get to hook up and meet so many geeks ;)

Thank you chief Geek!

Much appreciated.

The next show that Scratch will be ALLOWED access to is the one it's hosting at Olympia on 20-21 March 2005 where the Nailympics London Leg will be happening!

See Scratch Sept and especially the October issue to find out more

The Nailympics is open to all nail lovers - students and pros alike!

Call 0208 647 3133 to subsccribe to Scratch

or email Alex Fox or a free sample first!

[email protected]

regards Alex Fox

;)

Latest posts

Back