Excessive burping, any advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nail Perfection

Reaction score
Ok, I hope my fellow geeks can help me out again with my latest drama!
6 weeks ago my 19 year old son suddenly developed excessive burping.
I went with him to the doctor. The doc decided that due to that fact that he had overdone things for the whole of June, i.e. stag weekend, followed
by a week abroad on a lads holiday, then another week away with college, that he had possibly damaged his gullet with too much alcohol, throwing up etc.

He was given omeprazole to reduce stomach acid, 2 20mg tabs per day. After about 10 days things seemed to settle down and he reduced the dose. its now 6 weeks and at the moment he is back to burping constantly!
We are trying him on the full dose again for the next week or so to see if it settles.

Now, he hates doctors and I feel he is burying his head in the sand, he tells me its fine and it will just go away. I however am worried out my mind!

He also says it could by a nervous habit? Anyone heard of this and know how to stop it? I have been on google most days and am driving myself nuts to be honest. Not sure if I am just over reacting cos he's my boy.

I have told him we need to go back to docs and maybe get a better tablet that works for him but he is scared they will force him to get his blood taken!

If anyone has any experience of this I would be very grateful for your advice, Thanks.

I would worry why he doesn't want to have his blood taken. If its drugs they won't care they prob won't even look for them. He NEEDS blood work!!
My other half is the same and they finally worked out that due to being a bad heartburn and indigestion sufferer the stomach acids burnt away his skin flap (don't know the name)
But its just above the stomach which stops gases and acids reaching out of the stomach. So he no longer has one and will be on tablets the rest of his life.
X

I have this problem have had it for many years.
It's caused by my stomach acid I take ezomeprozole (sp?) everyday and domperidone.
I still burp a lot but I've just got used to it.

The problem also started in my late teens and the cause is probably alcohol related for me also.

I would worry why he doesn't want to have his blood taken. If its drugs they won't care they prob won't even look for them. He NEEDS blood work!!
My other half is the same and they finally worked out that due to being a bad heartburn and indigestion sufferer the stomach acids burnt away his skin flap (don't know the name)
But its just above the stomach which stops gases and acids reaching out of the stomach. So he no longer has one and will be on tablets the rest of his life.
X

Hi, thanks for your reply. I dont think he is scared of blood work for any other reason than he is scared of needles! He also has no heartburn at all just lots of burping and also from other end.

I have this problem have had it for many years.
It's caused by my stomach acid I take ezomeprozole (sp?) everyday and domperidone.
I still burp a lot but I've just got used to it.

The problem also started in my late teens and the cause is probably alcohol related for me also.
Hi can I ask what domperidone is? And also how many years have you been taking the meds? I wonder if we just need to give the meds more time to kick in?

My hubby takes one omneprozol every day. He has what is known as Barratts oesophagus. He gets indigestion and wind if he doesn't take it. Quite painful when it flares up. It varies from patient to patient. Acid reflux mainly. Some people get checked out quite regularly others just when needed. Some doctors don't know much about it. He can't take ibuprofen whilst on this med. just paracetamol if he has a headache.

Have him tested for H-pylori...A stomach bacterium can cause this

Have him tested for H-pylori...A stomach bacterium can cause this

Hi, no they haven't. What does this test involve?

Hi can I ask what domperidone is? And also how many years have you been taking the meds? I wonder if we just need to give the meds more time to kick in?

It's actually an anti sickness tablet but it makes acids food and fluids digest faster so they don't sit around too long.
Someone also mentioned h pylori I did have this bacteria also around a year ago and was easy treated.
Been taking them around 6 years.

Drop me a pm if you want to know anything

Hi, no they haven't. What does this test involve?

They do a breath test and then follow up with triple antibiotic therapy if the bacteria is detected.
. Might be good to have it done and ruled out

Latest posts

Back