Exemption from face masks?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poshpinks23

Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me what the rules are around being exempt from wearing a mask and doing your job in beauty. I have contacted my local health & safety department but didn't know if anyone else is knowledgeable about this? Thank you x

In theory, there are very few exemptions however, people will claim an exemption for multiple reasons. As a business owner, you can't ask them either so it's kind of a case of it works on trust.

It’s up to you.
You are not obliged to treat anyone not wearing a face covering, if you feel it puts your health at risk.
Conversely, I wouldn’t attend a Hairdressing or Beauty appointment if my therapist chose not to wear a face covering.

Thank you, I was more meaning for people working in the salon, im excemot but I wear one but i really struggle with it and don't know where I stand nit wearing it in the work place xx

If you‘re exempt on medical grounds, then you don’t have to wear one.
As a matter of interest, are you able to wear a visor?

Is it an issue with your employer?

I suspect that many clients will be fine with just a Perspex screen if you were doing Nails but they might not be keen if you were doing facials?

Hi yes I could wear a visor that wouldn't be a problem. I just wasn't sure where I legally stood in my place of work im self employed and rent a table , I tried to ask the nh&bf and they said if you can't wear one you shouldn't be doing the job and as im not a member they won't help me further .

Doesn’t a visor count as a face covering?

I’m in Ireland so our rules are probably different here, but you’d legally be allowed to wear a visor and work behind a screen without any issues.

Thank you I have had do many different advice given its hard to know what is correct.

Thank you I have had do many different advice given its hard to know what is correct.

Technicially there are no 'rules' and only guidelines. Saldy those have been watered down recently to say 'should' rather than 'must'.

Ultimately it comes down to you, your risk assessment. As a self employed person you work within your own risk assessment conditions.

If you are medically extempt from wearing a mask then you don't wear one, however, this could impact your ability to do your job effectively, (as per your conversation with nh&bf) either by putting yourself at more risk of infection, or limiting clients who would actually wish to be in close contact with someone who is not wearing a mask. (as per @AcidPerm comment above)

These are balanced by your consideration of the risk, hence, Risk Assessment.

If you are self employed you run your business not your landlord (which is what the person you rent from is - not your employer)

If you communicate to your clients that you will not be wearing a mask for extemption reasons, at the point of booking they also assess the risk and chose whether to book or not.

Reading between the lines you have a couple of issues with your salon location, are you struggling with the arrangement?

I spoke to our legal department at our insures regarding this and they say that is a member of staff was unable to wear a mask then they would not be able to conduct close contact services. They could do back office etc. and if this was not possible to furlough or go further etc.

I spoke to our legal department at our insures regarding this and they say that is a member of staff was unable to wear a mask then they would not be able to conduct close contact services. They could do back office etc. and if this was not possible to furlough or go further etc.

But the OP is self employed…

On a personal note , I would not go to any close contact service provider myself if they did not wear a mask medically exempt or not. It's a no from me.
As for a visor, it isn't going to stop their spittle landing on or in my breathe zone. So absolutely a no again.
My clients would not come either if I didn't wear my mask, so I am sorry if I have squashed any idea of it being ok. My decision would never change.

But the OP is self employed…
I know I was just giving the information I was given as an employer and possibly they may want to contact their own insurers, just in case of possible problems and to do their own risk assessment etc

The is everyone. I final got a reply from my local department of health and safety and they have said yes I can so that great news. 👍👍👍👍

Latest posts

Back