Exercising - what do you do?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rhiannon1408

Reaction score
Hi geeks! So I weighed myself today after noticing that some of my jeans are getting tighter (couldn't even do the zip up on one pair) and I'm the heaviest I've ever been!

Now I'm not fat by any means, but I used to have abs when I did pole dancing lessons and I want them back! I can't afford to go to the pole lessons at the moment so I was just wondering what you geeks do to stay in shape?

Any suggestions for me that cost little or nothing?

Rhiannon x

I do sprint training on the bike , perk of having a personal trainer as a partner ! But basically you do 20 secs of hard fast cycling , then a 10sec break on a lower speed and intensity , do this 5 times in a row , then give yourself a 1min break on a low setting then repeat it all again , I do this routine for five sets and it hurts but I've really noticed the affects , I try and do it every day if I can x

Usually 15-20 minutes of cardio (walking, jogging, rowing machine, boxing, or crossfit stuff) followed by weight training (time varies depending on what muscle group I'm working on that day) then cool down with a 10-15 minute power walk. at the moment I don't have much time for the gym like before, so I bought free weights. And of course, a balanced diet. Nothing major anymore since I'm pretty much where I wanna be, but just gotta make sure I drink enough water, get in good protein, and don't overload on the carbs.

I miss the gym for helping me keep fit, but thats all. I havent been since April cause I've been so busy with opening up my own salon etc.
I've got a vibration plate trainer and some free weights so I use those 3 times a week.
I really need to join a gym again though cause I do need to do some cardio training, but it will have to wait until I get some free time. Whenever that will be I don't know. hehe:D

Try walking maybe round a local park and once you've got into that do a run/walk programme, I totally recommend the booking Running Made Easy by Susie Whalley and Lisa Jackson. You need a decent pair of trainers but other than that it's free!

Also local council pools are mostly really cheap.

I now walk for the school run twice a day, a 20 min fast walk, I'm hoping this is going to make a difference!!

I never enjoyed exercise but when Glamour Eyes started the 30 day shred (Jillian Michaels) I decided to take part, thinking I would only last a couple of days, but I started on 10th August and have continued to do it every day since from youtube. I actually did it when I was on holiday too. I don't always enjoy it but I have noticed great changes in my body which makes me very reluctant to give up. I take 1 day off each week. There are three levels but I never got to level 3. I just alternate every day with levels 1 & 2 and it takes less than 30 mins and I can sweat and go purple without anyone seeing me which is great.

I did try to start a thread a couple of days ago called The 30 day shred - how did we all do? but unfortunately it was moved into the original 30 day shred and only got two comments which irritated me because I really wanted to get updates from everyone and by moving it, it makes it look like it's the original thread again and not many are going on to it again.

So, any of you who took part in the 30 day shred, maybe you could update us.

Once again thankyou to Glamour Eyes for starting the 30 day shred.

Last edited by a moderator:
I take salsa classes twice a week and go to the gym where I do running / misc stuff in the gym and classes like body pump & combat.

My friend though has lost loads of weight over the last year and she looks amazing. She did it by running and doing gillian michaels videos about 5 times a week. I tried one of the videos and it is frickin hard, so I see why she looks so good.

Thank you for your replies ladies! I literally do no exercise at the moment so it's no wonder my hips are getting wider!

Any ideas on good tummy exercises? Apart from the obvious sit ups as they bore the hell out of me!

Thank you for your replies ladies! I literally do no exercise at the moment so it's no wonder my hips are getting wider!

Any ideas on good tummy exercises? Apart from the obvious sit ups as they bore the hell out of me!
My stomach muscles SUCK and when I had my 'abs session' in the gym they gave me:

- Crunches (she made me do them off the big ball thing (bahahaha, can you tell I fail at the gym??!) as she said it supports the lower back more.
- Medicine ball twists (where you sit in like a half sit up, raise your legs and move the ball side to side - sorry I am crap at explaining, suffice to say it hurts!)
- Plank
- Bicycle move with kettle bells (sit in a half sit up again, raise legs and move them in and out like a bicycle, while passing the kettle bell under alternate legs. EFFING hurts!)

There's more but I can't remember them right now. Have a look on youtube.

Jillian Michaels DVD's/app (app is free) - she's a demon trainer and gets amazing results!! She has a 6 week 6 pack abs DVD which is great!

I do and love body pump classes but that's part of my gym membership x

I go running when I get chance and even though it don't enjoy it, it's slowly getting a bit easier! And plenty of dog walking. I am no good at keeping up classes/gym memberships :)

There is no such thing as "spot training" so something you can try is looking up core exercises. They help build the muscles in your midsection and back, giving you a more toned, definite shape. :)

Yoga all the way, I try to alternate a yoga session one day with weight training the next, and have the weekend off. I started dieting in jan then took up the exercise in may ... So far I have lost 2 stone... I don't diet so much now but defo keep up the exercise :)

I did Bokwa twice a week for 7 months, but had to stop because I got tendinitis in my Achilles.
I'd actually found something I enjoyed too :-(
Now I take my collie out twice a day

I did Bokwa twice a week for 7 months, but had to stop because I got tendinitis in my Achilles.

I walk my dalmatian for an hour and a half a day which has the added advantage of wearing her out!! Mind you, i've not been able to go as far recently as I also got achilles tendinitis - didn't realise how painful it is. Did you get rid of yours?

I walk to work 4 days out of 5, I have the advantage that work is only half a mile away from home but twice a day it adds up!! I also run 3/4 times a week I do anything between 3 & 10 miles at the moment and have been doing this since Jan.
I have to say I have noticed a massive difference in my body I've got the start of some decent looking abs, which after having 3 children I never thought I'd have!! I also get asked frequently if I've lost weight again, though I haven't I've just toned up.
The other benefit is It's free and you are getting fresh air and destressed all at the same time. Fab!!! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

I know you're looking for a free/cheap option, but I really think that joining a gym can't be beaten (if you stick to it regularly!) I do up to 10 classes per week and I defininitely wouldn't do that amount of exercise if I didn't have an instructor pushing me and so many other people around me. I do some of the Les Mills classes - Body Attack, Body Pump, Body Combat, CXWorx as well as step aerobics etc.

Maybe you could try an off peak membership to make it cheaper? Or a local Council run gym? I also walk everywhere as I don't drive.

I used to do tae kwon do and absolutely loved it , lost loads of weight and kept it off. Ended up a black belt belt but I'm no spring chicken and it took it's toll on my hip joints. It got to the point where I would have needed cortisone injections to keep going so I stopped. I discovered jazzercize 3 months ago and it's great fun. You get an excellent full body workout. I'm going 3 times a week at the moment in the hope of loosing the weight I put on since stopping TKD!

I do some of the Les Mills classes - Body Attack, Body Pump, Body Combat, CXWorx as well as step aerobics etc.
I LOVE the les mills classes. I do pump & combat and have been wanting to try attack for ages but chickening out because it looks really hard! haha.

What's CXWorx like, is that core stuff? I don't think my gym does that.

Latest posts

Back