Exfoliate on the day? / Soap & Glory?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Severnrose

Reaction score
Right, another question from me! :confused:

I have been tanning for 2 weeks & done 17 spray tan's, everyone so far has been pleased with the results & they seem to have all followed my guidelines for their tan preparation. I have been advising them to exfoliate well leading up to their appointment & moisturise but DONT moisturise on the day of the tan, or if they do then they should shower just before to remove any residue from their skin. I do however, say that it is ok to exfoliate on the day.

So I did a tan last night for a girl who had showered before I arrived and had just exfoliated with Soap & Glory. I'm not sure but I feel like the tan wasn't spraying as well on to the skin & now I'm worrying that its going to look awful today :Scared:. She is a friend of my sisters so I sort of know her & I said to her last night that I'm not sure if the Soap & Glory exfoliator is too moisturising to use just before a tan so if any problems give me a call today and I will go back to have a look. (and then do all I can to make her look better!)

I have used Soap & Glory body scrub before and it really does leave a 'coating' on your skin which I'm guessing is not good for tan application.

Should I be advising people not to exfoliate on the day? Or advise them to exfoliate on the day but only in the morning (if appointment in the evening)? Just incase they use an exfoliator that is also quite good at moisturising the skin too?

Worried cos they have a group of friends who all like to get tanned so a lot of potential business there for me & if I've messed this one up, then the other girls wont be interested! :sad:

I was taught to advise exfoliation and wax/shave 24 hours before the tan to allow pores to close after the stimulation.

If she's used the soap & glory just before the tan and it leaves moisture on the skin, chances are it's created a barrier so the tan will not have taken or not taken very well.

Hope that helps.
Rhiannon x

Last edited:
I was taught to advise exfoliation and wax/shave 24 hours before the tan to allow pores to close after the stimulation.

If she's used the soap & glory just before the tan and it leaves moisture on the skin, chances are it's created a barrier so the tan will not have taken or not taken very well.

Hope that helps.
Rhiannon x

Thanks. I was taught to tell them to wax/shave 24 hours before the tan but not sure about the exfoliating. Maybe I should tell them to do that no less than 24 hours before too, just to be safe. God I hope it's ok, I would hate for it to look all streaky.

Yeah the soap & glory body scrub is really oily. I'm sure it would create a barrier but hey, at least if the tan is streaky then you'll know why and be able to advise client why....an you won't lose any business over it.

Let us know how the tan turned out!!

If it does go streaky or doesn't take just explain to the client that you have done some research and it's the soap & glory that has caused it. As a gesture of goodwill I would probably respray her as obviously you want her to have a good experience so she recommends you to the group of friends that you mentioned.

I always think if you deal with a complaint well then people are more likely to recommend you.

I hope that helps honey.
Rhiannon x

And don't forget to remind the client not to shower directly before a tanning treatment as it alters the PH of the skin and can also cause streakyness :Grope:

I had a client use soap and glory scrub the day before a tan. She went patchy and green ! Deffo a bad scrub to use :p x

And don't forget to remind the client not to shower directly before a tanning treatment as it alters the PH of the skin and can also cause streakyness :Grope:

Oh dear! I didn't know that, I ALWAYS say it's fine to shower just before and I actually tell them it's the best way to make sure their skin is completely clear of any makeup/perfume etc. I must remember that then, thanks for the advice! So what do you advise your clients to do? Use a baby wipe to remove their deodorant/makeup/perfume beforehand? X

I had a client use soap and glory scrub the day before a tan. She went patchy and green ! Deffo a bad scrub to use :p x

Ok, so just been round to see her. Tan actually looked really good sooooooo happy! She had a white streak on her arm but it looks like that was my fault and i had missed it, so I have resprayed it. I think I will advise people to avoid soap & glory just to be safe, I don't want another sleepless night!!

She seemed happy enough with it and hopefully she will recommend me.....

Latest posts

Back