Exfoliation After Spray Tanning

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

angelina221

Master Lash Tech
Reaction score
When a client has had a spray tan, when do you tell them to exfoliate and how often. When i was trained i was taught not to exfoliate for 4 days and then do gentle exfoliation every day to help the tan break down evenly. I know people who do this different and was just wondering what you all advise.

When a client has had a spray tan, when do you tell them to exfoliate and how often. When i was trained i was taught not to exfoliate for 4 days and then do gentle exfoliation every day to help the tan break down evenly. I know people who do this different and was just wondering what you all advise.

There is no need to exfoliate immediately after a spray tan ...ideally this should be done before the application..not after...and prior to having another treatment.

Most good quality spray tans fade off evenly without the need to exfoliate...however for those that do have dry skin areas(elbows/knees etc)you can of course just lightly exfoliate after a few days post application to avoid patchy fad off....it is essential to pay additional attention to moisturise these areas..again preferably with a moisturiser containing DHA to "add back" any tan removed due to localised exfoliation.

Daily moisturising is of course a post tan requisite..preferably one that has DHA which will help extent the duration and reduce the fade off becoming patchy due to the different levels of natural moisture in the skin (knees,elbows etc)

Last edited:
I always tell them to exfoliate prior to tanning-not that all of them listen :)
I was just browsing the internet and see a lot of places say to exfoliate every other day so i was just being nosey and seeing what different people on here tell their clients.
Got my husband to spray tan me yesterday and i haven't washed the guide off yet (dirty woman!). Am in the middle of my housework so will do it after! I will have a go at not exfoliating now you have said that and see how it goes. I always moisturise twice a day after a tan.

On my training (Fake Bake) we were told to advise clients to exfoliate 4 or 5 days after the spray tan, to assist with even fading, and also to ensure the skin is in tip-top condition for the next spray tan .... so that's what I always advise my clients. Whether they actually take any notice is anyone's guess!

I tell my clients and learners to exfoliate the night before the tan and then lightly exfoliate again after 5 days.:)

Latest posts

Back