Expanding into hair and beauty salon-need advice, please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cooey

Reaction score
hi all i would really appreciate some advice,I am a beauty therapist,
I currently work on my own in a beauty salon in a village in Warwickshire(one beauty room),which is going well after 5 years,I don't make mega bucks but a good income for me,and the hair salon next door is closing in August, so I am going to rent this space and expand my business to a 'hair and beauty salon'. The rent is fairly low and it is a great chance to have 2 beauty rooms and a couple of hairdressers. here are my concerns:
1)The thing is I don't know how to go about hiring staff, what wages are fair, and i plan to rent the hair chairs (as i don't know about hairdressing I thought this was the best option?) and I don't know what the fair rate is, example £50 per week plus 20% commission?
2)The other thing is I am pregnant due in September, so I will not be in the salon full time to manage the new staff and this worries me, probably the most actually! Of course I am delighted to be having a baby:D, but in an ideal world I would work full time and oversee the salon with all my new staff and manage everything myself.But with a new baby I planned to have a few months off and then work part time.The opportunity to expand is too good I think as I don't want to work on my own forever especially as i will have a family to look after too,I don't want to work full time.
Does anyone have any advice? I can't afford to hire a manager and was just planning to hire a part time beauty therapist,3-4 days per week, but realistically I will probably just be popping in and out of the salon or working 1 or 2 days a week myself come September.Therefore the therapist will have to be self reliant and get on with the job without me there.I hope this makes sense.Sorry for waffling on.Any advice or ideas would be much appreciated, I feel quite stressed about the situation even though I am bringing it on my self!I guess i just need some reasurrance...
thanks xxx :o

To be honest, if I were in your situation then I wouldn't go for it. When you go for a new venture, you need to be there full time to make sure things are going the way you like. It's too risky leaving it to someone else that you don't know.

Just my opinion, but you'd be taking too much on with a new baby and a new business ;)

Good luck with the baby :)

I'm afraid I'm going to say the same, you really do need to be there or the staff will run riot and not give the impression you may want the clients to get! X

thanks I appreciate your honesty, yes just writing it in the post i realised what a big thing to take on it is, i will have to have a really good think about it. thanks xx

I hate to say it, as I hate for people not to go for things, but I really wouldn't! I don't think this is ment to be for you! You need to be in salon full time, esp in the first few years, ans the business is all you will think and worry about!! Is this your first baby? Enjoy motherhood x

Latest posts

Back