Expectations from the salon owner when you rent...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

makeupartistzoe

Reaction score
Hiya All.

Just wondering what expectations you have for your boss/ salon owner when you pay a fixed rent for your chair, desk or room?

I'm about to take on my 3rd hairdresser and know there will be 'hands off thats my client!' and 'why has my client booked in with so and so' So I'm just trying to diffuse situations as soon as they happen, if not before...

...my background is I've always worked for myself, starting out on a rental basis which I thought was just lose/lose situation. I was never bothered not paying rent when I was quiet and just used to chill out but when I got busy I resented giving my share over! I've worked in two other salons as the only beauty person and got little to no help off the owners. As far as I was concerned I was paying them rent to help out their rent and was lucky to have such a nice base to rent! I worked really hard to find myself clients and to be there as much as possible in the hours they were open to promote myself and then opened my beautiful salon October 2010.

I provide beauty room, nail desk and hair chair rental. I do laundry, networking, manage everyones profiles on our website and facebook, promote those, get involved with local charity events, enter awards, initiate and pay for photoshoots and atm we are doing salon promotional videos. I carry business cards everywhere I go, have my car signed with the salon logo and details, advertise on other places online, link up with other local businesses and do everything I can to make sure my salon is the best I can make it and my team are happy!

I can guess problems are going to happen over the hair stations...I have two but would like (and need to run the salon) three hairdressers in 5 or 6 days a week- its too small to have 3 hair stylists working at once. The 1st hairdresser works weds-sat and has a good base to start with...she was a little put out when a second one joined after 6 months even tho she wasnt taking her clients away. The second one just works mondays and fridays which she says suits her as she has a family (not small kids but kids all the same) and she only has to share with the 1st one on fridays, which is busier for walk ins. I've given them both the opportunity to work more days (as you can work out, the more you are there the more you will earn) but they are happy with that. They sometimes argue over whose clients are whose...esp when ones walk in and go to one one month and then another the next...so I've paid for blank loyalty cards for them to use (so their new clients will stick to them) but they don't use them and then get ratty when clients will obviously continue to make their own choices about who they will go to.

They also get ratty about charging slightly different so we created a file with price quoting in it...so even a nail tech can almost perfectly quote a brazillian blow dry on thickness and length for hair. The atmosphere gets a bit touchy sometimes but now I just let it be water off a ducks back...if they don't help themselves and use the help ive given them then they will always upset each other. On the beauty side of things we just share clients out, do our loyalty cards and theres never been major probs. I just dont want the beauty team to be working in a negative place! I can tell it bothers them when the hairdressers get in a mood...

...and above all I want the new guy to come in and work tuesdays, weds, thurs and maybe saturdays and have a full happy salon. I'll prob just keep doing the best for the good of everyone and tell everyone to use their loyalty cards. Would anybody else do anything different? Looking to hear advice from salon owners and chair renters in case I've missed an obvious trick!

Thanks!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back