Expenses-Help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Iv tried searching but I can't fibd what im looking for.

Iv been trying to do my books on excel by doing two spreadsheets one incomings and one for.outgoings. im finding it messy. It doesn't seem organised.
Iv put columns in such as:
Incomings
W/c
Treatment
Treatment price
Offer/discount
Treatment cost
Retail products
Retail price
Aftercare cost

Outgoings
W/c
Retailer
Products
Price
Mileage
Petrol

I think that's everything.

Also another question do I have to Register before the 5th oct or 3 months after my first advertisement as I thought it was 6 months.

Sorry for waffling.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Baggybear

Reaction score
If you are self employed then tyou need to list ALL expenses and ALL earnings. You don't have to separate the expenses & earnings into categories, just list EVERYTHING.

I use https://mybrightbook.com/ which is free and easy to use.

You need to ring HMRC and inform them you are self employed within 3 months. The sooner you do it the better really as you will be wanting to include all your expenses (anything you buy for ready for business use) so there is no downside to registering now.

laurakate

Reaction score
Is it best to get an accountant to do this? When I go self employed I'm thinking I'll need an accountant to ensure that i do it correctly and don't have an added stress?

BannerPenguin

Reaction score
You are far better doing it yourself.
I have recommended my accountant to a couple of geeks because he will advise you on how to do it yourself for free and only wade in when needed and is very cheap.

Even with an accountant you will need to keep things organised. If you just dumped your business account statements and receipts etc to them you will just be left with a huge bill as will take them days to sort out!

Baggybear

Reaction score
If you want to get an accountant then you can. I don't feel that keeping basic accounts is hard but you do need to understand what you can put as a business expense and what you can't.

If you can grasp that information then you will be able to do your own accounts and submit your yearly return too. You could always try keeping your accounts yourself and then get an accountant to check them over and give you help with your first years accounts submission.

There is lots of advice on here and the HMRC site has lots of information and if you need to ring them to clarify anything they are usually really helpful.

BeautyNerds

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry im only just replying, I never got any notifications for your posts.
Thank you all for your replies I really appreciate it.
Im finding some things hard to research on here.

This morning I sat and registered myself with HMRC and watched an online seminar... Everything was still a bit hazy. The funny thing is once I'd put a status on Facebook a guy from my cross fit class told me he works for HMRC so if I need any help understanding anything he said he would go through it with me. He explained stuff tonight and it made sense speaking to somebody in person. I guess I just panicked.
Im having a stressfull time and I just can't keep on top of everything in my head.

Thank you for replying all of you, very helpful x :o

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

katie-robinson

Reaction score
If you are self employed then tyou need to list ALL expenses and ALL earnings. You don't have to separate the expenses & earnings into categories, just list EVERYTHING.

I use https://mybrightbook.com/ which is free and easy to use.

You need to ring HMRC and inform them you are self employed within 3 months. The sooner you do it the better really as you will be wanting to include all your expenses (anything you buy for ready for business use) so there is no downside to registering now.
Hey Baggybear ive just signed up to Bright book as im just starting up self employed also and wanting to do my books myself.. now.. where do i start with this bright book ? im really not sure what info i need to add and where as there are so many tabs .. ( in the clients tab do you actually list all ur clients names)

hope you can help.. i need to work out my estimate earnings and really no idea where to start :/

Baggybear

Reaction score
Hey Baggybear ive just signed up to Bright book as im just starting up self employed also and wanting to do my books myself.. now.. where do i start with this bright book ? im really not sure what info i need to add and where as there are so many tabs .. ( in the clients tab do you actually list all ur clients names)

hope you can help.. i need to work out my estimate earnings and really no idea where to start :/
I will PM you as this is a direct conversation :wink2:

Latest posts