Expensive facial cleanser - yes or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vanilla Pod

Reaction score
After reading many articles online - also what top dermatologists say,
Do we really need an expensive facial cleanser ( as this only stays on the skin momentarily) , will a cheaper non drying, non pore clogging etc suffice?

Should we splurge on products that actually stay on the skin?

Any opinions ?

Last edited:
Ive used all sorts until i went to college i found buying a professional one from the suppliers was just as good i did try dermalogica i thought it was good i think we are probably taken in by great ads but personally i dont think an expensive product is any better than a cheaper one

Sent from my LG-E610 using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you follow Caroline Hirons blog? Great advice and she recommends both expensive and inexpensive products.

Just had a look at Caroline Hirons blog - much amused :)

She is also on YouTube with some videos

I think it's quite obvious that price alone is never going to be an indicator of a products efficiency, rather it will be the formula and the quality of ingredients that constitute the deciding factor. However, it is equally obvious that higher quality ingredients are more costly, and that research and development has an attendant cost. It is thusly inevitable that better quality products with greater efficacy will be more costly than those using el cheapo ingredients in a bog standard formula.

I think it's quite obvious that price alone is never going to be an indicator of a products efficiency, rather it will be the formula and the quality of ingredients that constitute the deciding factor. However, it is equally obvious that higher quality ingredients are more costly, and that research and development has an attendant cost. It is thusly inevitable that better quality products with greater efficacy will be more costly than those using el cheapo ingredients in a bog standard formula.

In other words, you get what you pay for.

Generally, a good, responsible brand charges more because the ingredients are better. Extra virgin, unrefined oils, organic plant extracts etc. It's what's in the pot that is important, not the packaging or adverts. Sometimes, there's "reverse snobbery"; everyone believes the more premium brands are rubbish and out to rip them off, which isn't true.

There are notable exceptions though. Eve Lom's 'famous' hot cloth cleaning balm, full of mineral oil. The cheapest ingredient the cosmetics industry can lay its hands on, yet it retails at £85! Creme de la Mer is famously crap as well. It claims the power product is seaweed extract, and yet again, this is not an expensive ingredient. It also contains a preservative that is supposed to be used in rinse off products.

It's a shame the media always uses this as an example as "expensive products the beauty industry uses to fool people" as it is far from representative of fabulous, reliable brands such as Perricone MD, Environ, Caudalie, Murad, Dr Schrammek etc etc.

So... knowledge is power! Know your ingredients. x

It isn't just the ingredients though, is it?
It's the advice you should be getting from the therapists in choosing the product. Education costs money. It costs money to train counter girls, and to produce product information literature. All of these "hidden costs" contribute to the end price of a product.

Oh yes, absolutely! And of course the development and research that goes into it.

Very true to what everyone has said, and yes I do read ingrediants , in fact I am obsessed about finding out about what is in the pot - so to speak , but also know that certain companies 'private label', so just because a product is a certain price , it can be manufactured and put out to the public , spas etc with a massive profit.

Also it is not always what you put on your skin it is what you do in the way of nutrition etc :biggrin:

Latest posts

Back