Experienced opinion please! :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scarlettem

Reaction score
Hello all!

I am new here, I just found this site this morning as I was searching the net. I have been doing nails and loving it since I was about 13, and now that I am 24 I have decided to go to school to become a Nail Technician.
There are a few schools for me to choose from here in Kelowna, but this one seemed the best to me.

Nail Technician, Manicurist, Nail Technician Classes, Nail Technician Courses, Nail Technician School, Nail Technician College

I was just wondering if some of you guys could look at it and tell me what you think? I figure who would be better to ask then experienced Nail Techs themselves?

There is also the choice of Exclusively Vogue Nails that only train with enVogue Sculptured Nails Systems. But this is only 7 weeks long, and the other one is 16 weeks. I figured it would be good to take after the basics, then I can learn that medium as well.

Exclusively Vogue Nails - Nail Esthetics

Thanks to everyone in advance! Any info or input would be helpful! :)

Hiya,

In my opinion, the first course seems to cover more areas, such as, mani & pedi.

I dont know if it is the same in Canada as in the UK. but most of the large gel or l&p (acrylic) companies ask any qualified tech to do additional training with their products at a cost. (called a conversion course)

In the UK some products are availiable from direct wholesalers or distributors without having to do a conversion course. (just walk in and buy it)

Hope this helps!

I too was a child obsessed with nails. I used to get my mum to buy me a pack of nail tips and i would sit for hours painting designs on them!

I have now been a tech for 11 years and still love it!

xx:)

I don't know if this helps, but here in New Brunswick there seems to be no need for conversion courses. Brisa, LCN, Eco, etc are all available to any licensed tech. However BioSculpture requires you train with them to purchase their products.

So I emailed the Natural health college yesterday to ask what products they use in their Nail Tech. course......They emailed me back today and said:

"We let you bring your own product. We teach all different types of products. Everyone has different preferences."

After reading a bunch of threads on here it became obvious to me that everyone has a product they love and thats all they use. So that is why I asked them what they use.

Is it odd that I can choose any product I want and have them show me how to use it properly? As well as me being in a class with 6-10 other people who are also using all different products? Does that mean I could use CND or BioSculpture or enVogue products and they would know how to use all of them?

Hello from Nanaimo BC! One of the BIGGEST questions you need to ask your potential 'school' is about INFECTION CONTROL education... Sadly, because of the de-regulation in our Province... there are LOTS of holes in Education for Nail Techs! (shudder) What worked even a couple of years ago... is not 'effective' today. You are on the right track by finding out all you can before signing up. :) Remember also certain distributors may not accept your 'product based' Certification... :eek: but if you are happy with that product, and have received GOOD education... there are lots of distributors that WILL welcome your business. I Educate for LCN, and believe their curriculum to be among the BEST available anywhere. It's consistent across the country (worldwide actually!) and offers continuing support after you've had your training.

You may also look into the requirements of the Cosmetology Association of BC, as they also offer an exam and provide a Certificate (accepted by ALL distributors) CIABC recognizes the LCN curriculum as a good basis to prepare a gel nail tech to write their exam. (there are minimum requirements you need to meet in order to write the CIABC exam.)

There is no government exam in BC at this time, :irked: but the 'Association' is the closest thing that we have... if you want 'unquestionable' credentials... you may want to look up their exam requirements... Buyer beware... your 'Education' must be from a recognized source.

There are TOO MANY nail salon owners also hanging out a 'I'll teach you nails' sign, and offering a 'Certificate' that is really not worth the paper it's printed on. :smack:(and likely won't be accepted by the CIABC as qualification to writing the Association's exam) Unfortunately, because someone does beautiful nails DOESN'T mean they are qualified to TEACH you ALL that is necessary for you to know. What most people don't realize going into this industry is that 'application' of the product is only ONE SMALL part of it. If you have any questions that you'd like to ask me personally... just private message me or email me at [email protected] Best of luck in your education quest!!!

Thank you all for the replys and pm's!! You guys have helped! Thank you!

Latest posts

Back