Expired gift certificates

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyRa

Reaction score
Hi all
Can I ask what reason you give to a client as to why they can't use an expired gift certificate? I had a client who had one that was expired and said I already have the money so I should redeem it even though it clearly states the expiry date on the voucher! Just wanting to know what you would say to those clients
Thanks everyone x

Why would you not accept them? They've paid for them. I honour them. Money doesn't expire.

I only use an expiry date to get then to try to use them in a certain time frame, as I don't want copious amounts of vouchers to be used at my busiest times where I've worked late most nights like December to squeeze everyone in, wouldn't be too chuffed having vouchers filling up those spaces.

I've had a next voucher over a yr out of date and they gladly honered it.

The only time I refuse to go past an expiry date is if I've donated one to a charity event. No money has passed hands so if it's not used within 6 months, tough! If cash has changed hands you can't not accept it

As said above a voucher that has been paid for should never go out of date but a voucher given as a donation to a charity raffle would run out (although I have also extended the date on a donated voucher as the person contacted me soon after winning the voucher and as she was pregnant asked if she was able to use the voucher after the baby was born - I agreed an extension).
If I put money in an envolope in a draw with your business name on it then that money will be there and valid to use for a year, 2 years or 5 years. This is the same as buying a voucher - it is money with your company name on it but it is still money that is valid no matter if there is a date on it or not.
Why wouldn't you want to allow it to be used?

I think a voucher that has been paid for should be honoured. I think the only thing I would say is if it had expired then I would still honour it but maybe not in peak very busy times, like Christmas week! In this situation I would maybe say I can put them on a cancellation list.

I also keep the money taken for vouchers seperate from takings and don't put them through my books until the voucher is redeemed, that way I don't have to work for free when the voucher comes in. I made the fatal mistake at Christmad in my first year...sold loads of Gift Vouchers in December, took a lovely wage in December thanks to those extras, then worked virtually all of January for nothing as everyone cashed in their vouchers (as they were skint too) as I'd alread had to money I felt like I worked for free :(

I have an envelope in my till drawer, the cash goes in there with a note of who and what it's for until it's cashed, then I cross them off and put it through my books - much nicer :D

In reply to the original question, yes I would honour it too

Totally agree with all the comments.

I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't accept a voucher. There have been many threads about this.

Totally bad karma not to accept it.

Vic x

I always honour them I've never turned down an expired voucher. Just wanting to know as I've had a client booking in without telling me it was expired. Just wondering if she would do this if it was a retail store or department store as most don't accept expired vouchers. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks everyone [emoji2]

The only time one would expire is if the client books an app and doesn't turn up with no cancellation, other than that my GV do not have expiry dates just a valid from date.

I always honour them I've never turned down an expired voucher. Just wanting to know as I've had a client booking in without telling me it was expired. Just wondering if she would do this if it was a retail store or department store as most don't accept expired vouchers. Just thought I'd ask. Thanks everyone [emoji2]
Actually most big retail stores WILL accept an expired voucher, if it is a paid for type voucher (I don't mean an incentive discount or free flyer type).

Definitely @Baggybear. If they don't accept it in store, head office will usually do it for you.

Vic x

I always honour expired vouchers if money has passed hands. However, I do state to them that I'm honouring it even though it's expired, just so they know what a nice person I am.

I only don't honour them if they were a raffle prize I've donated

I once had a new client call me to say, she'd been given a voucher that was about to expire ( valid for 1 year) and as she wasn't going to be able to get in before expiry, could she have the money instead! Obviously, I said unfortunately not, but that we would honour the voucher when she could make it. Transpired she was moving out of the area, so I suggested she gave it to someone else to use, and we would honour it for them. She was not happy at all that I wouldn't refund the voucher value, I think it was £75.
The voucher was never used.

I once had a new client call me to say, she'd been given a voucher that was about to expire ( valid for 1 year) and as she wasn't going to be able to get in before expiry, could she have the money instead! Obviously, I said unfortunately not, but that we would honour the voucher when she could make it. Transpired she was moving out of the area, so I suggested she gave it to someone else to use, and we would honour it for them. She was not happy at all that I wouldn't refund the voucher value, I think it was £75.
The voucher was never used.

I'd say only 7/10 gift certs we sell are ever used - if I were given a gift voucher I'd be getting booked in ASAP! X

We sold a whopping £2000 in vouchers last December and about £500 still hasn't been used

Latest posts

Back