Extended hyponychium/ Inverse pterygium?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chocolatepickle

Reaction score
I've been wearing my nails fairly long for the last few months and have been practising sculpting with forms on myself too.
Having soaked off one of my nails I tried to use the nail clippers to take down some of the length of the free edge but as I put them near my nail, before i'd even squeezed I felt a sharp pain- like someone poking the underside of my nail with a pin!

I looked at what the problem was and could see that the skin is still attatched to the underside of my free edge in the centre. I THINK this is extended hyponychium?
Its most definitely not dead cells as its very sensitive to touch.
I've had a little search on here and am getting a little mixed up- is extended hyponychium and inverse pterygium the same thing?
Does it sound like I have either?

Also I recently read this can be caused by over exposure in that area, is this true or is it otherwise likely that it is due to the extra length I've been wearing lately?
Or irritated by my dodgy form fitting!?
Or all of the above!?

How can I help it reduce? I've been using my solar oil but thats about it so far!

Thankyou!

I get this when I have been wearing nails for a little while. I normally just wait a few days and it shrinks back naturally :)

Latest posts

Back