SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lor34

Reaction score
I am looking to start going into hair extension training. Unfortunately I am not a hair dresser so I am struggling to find a good course, does anyone have any recommendations? Do these courses have to be HABIA approved also? I would be looking to do invisible weft and micro rings. I also wonder how someone could get a trade account for a good quality professional hair extension brand, without being a qualified hair dresser but being trained in extensions? I was looking at beauty works as I've had them in before the loved the quality but any recommendations would be good.

You won’t be able to get on a Habia approved course if you’re not already a qualified hairdresser. Habia changed their rules and won’t endorse courses that allow non-hairdressers to train, which as a hairdresser, I do support. That isn’t to say that non hairdressers can’t become very good at doing hair extensions, but I feel it’s something that should be kept as a professional development course only, after completing Level 2. That way, the student already knows all about the different hair types, what contra-indications to be aware of, cutting, styling and hair colouring etc.

However, there are lots of companies keen to take your money so you’ll need to research them carefully and be very wary of any advertised with only 5 star reviews, as they’re often not genuine.

You won’t be able to get on a Habia approved course if you’re not already a qualified hairdresser. Habia changed their rules and won’t endorse courses that allow non-hairdressers to train, which as a hairdresser, I do support. That isn’t to say that non hairdressers can’t become very good at doing hair extensions, but I feel it’s something that should be kept as a professional development course only, after completing Level 2. That way, the student already knows all about the different hair types, what contra-indications to be aware of, cutting, styling and hair colouring etc.

However, there are lots of companies keen to take your money so you’ll need to research them carefully and be very wary of any advertised with only 5 star reviews, as they’re often not genuine.

Many of the courses I have looked at are now ABT insured, is this just as recognised by HABIA, in terms or qualifications and opening trade accounts with companies such as Beauty works and Additional lengths?
The course i was looking at was Maxwell Melia, do you know if this is legitimate?

ABT is an insurance company. They provide accreditation for a number of hair and beauty related courses run by smaller training companies.

Accreditation in this instance simply means that the course provider has submitted their course details and paid a fee to ABT for Insurance cover. ABT will have agreed to provide a quote for insurance cover to anyone completing the course and who fits any additional criteria, at their discretion.

Accreditation has nothing to do with Quality.
It’s perfectly possible for poorly run courses to still be accredited so you can’t assume that the training is of high quality. In many instances the courses are well run but there’s no independent body overseeing them.

HABIA only concern themselves with courses relating to ongoing professional training for qualified Hairdressers etc.

In terms of registering with Hair extension suppliers, the majority will accept a course that has been accredited with an insurance company.

However, without holding a Level 2 qualification, you will not be covered to colour or cut the clients hair, you will only be covered to cut the extensions, assuming they teach you how to do that on the course.

Sorry, I have no knowledge of the specific company mentioned.

Latest posts

Back