Extension maintenance, how long?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley79

Ashley79
Reaction score
Hi can anyone tell me what's the longest you can leave a clients extensions before any maintainence needs to be done??? I do micro loop, micro ring & nanos. I have clients who are happy to pay out for the initial fitting but are reluctant to pay for maintenance. I have explained it needs to be done to avoid their hair matting

It really depends how fast their natural hair grows but I would say around 8 to 12 weeks should be fine.Do you remove and refit again?

It really depends how fast their natural hair grows but I would say around 8 to 12 weeks should be fine.Do you remove and refit again?
Usually push up micros 4-6 weeks & rotate & refit nanos 6-8weeks. So would it be ok to leave for 12 weeks then remove & refit to keep clients cost down??

I advise 6-8 weeks for all methods and tell clients if they leave it longer than this matting and damage may happen which I cannot be liable for as they haven't come back within the recommended time frame. It also costs them more as there's more work to be done. I have some clients that always leave it 3-4 months and their matting is awful. Last time it took me 4 hours 45 minutes to remove on of my clients extensions. So instead of paying for a standard Maintenace/refit she had to pay a removal fee plus £20 per hour as I had to cancel other clients and stayed at the shop after hours plus a fitting fee to have them back in as this had to be done on a different day. She's learnt her lesson and now booked in at 7 weeks.

I advise 6-8 weeks for all methods and tell clients if they leave it longer than this matting and damage may happen which I cannot be liable for as they haven't come back within the recommended time frame. It also costs them more as there's more work to be done. I have some clients that always leave it 3-4 months and their matting is awful. Last time it took me 4 hours 45 minutes to remove on of my clients extensions. So instead of paying for a standard Maintenace/refit she had to pay a removal fee plus £20 per hour as I had to cancel other clients and stayed at the shop after hours plus a fitting fee to have them back in as this had to be done on a different day. She's learnt her lesson and now booked in at 7 weeks.
But can't you leave bonds for up to 5 months? That's what I was told on my course :/ x

But can't you leave bonds for up to 5 months? That's what I was told on my course :/ x
You must still do Maintenace with bonds. This means going through and separating all the bond. Removing any that need removing and then adding some extra bonds in so maybe 25 extra strands may need to be purchased for Prebonded maintenance. With Prebonded extensions it's even more important for the client to be following aftercare as they can't be moved up. So they can stay in for up to 6 months but my clients still come every 6 to 8 weeks so I can fully separate all bonds and replace a few x

You must still do Maintenace with bonds. This means going through and separating all the bond. Removing any that need removing and then adding some extra bonds in so maybe 25 extra strands may need to be purchased for Prebonded maintenance. With Prebonded extensions it's even more important for the client to be following aftercare as they can't be moved up. So they can stay in for up to 6 months but my clients still come every 6 to 8 weeks so I can fully separate all bonds and replace a few x
Thank you

Do they normally need separting?? I've never done bonds on a client x

Do they normally need separting?? I've never done bonds on a client x
Clients should be doing this themselves regularly if they have bonds or rings but the back can be tricky. Bonds it's especially important they are separating their bonds as they can't be moved up so matting will happen if they don't separate their bonds for 4-6 months

Hi can anyone tell me what's the longest you can leave a clients extensions before any maintainence needs to be done??? I do micro loop, micro ring & nanos. I have clients who are happy to pay out for the initial fitting but are reluctant to pay for maintenance. I have explained it needs to be done to avoid their hair matting
Yes also, maintenance is required to replace or reseal any which have either come out or are starting to split, its highly important to prevent damage to natural hair x

Also can ask.. I had micro ring/ stick tips fitted a few days ago. I washed & dried it for the first time today, did everything by the book. Some of the rings are not laying flat, they've turned over & are now visible & won't turn back. Is this normal? I'm now worried incase this happens when I fit them on clients

Also can ask.. I had micro ring/ stick tips fitted a few days ago. I washed & dried it for the first time today, did everything by the book. Some of the rings are not laying flat, they've turned over & are now visible & won't turn back. Is this normal? I'm now worried incase this happens when I fit them on clients
I'm not sure what you mean. Can you take a picture?

Hello! You may have had them fitted and some sections were not pulled straight and have twisted/loosened which may be causing them to over turn. Is this happening on the sides of your head? x

I advise refit of nanos for 6 weeks. A client left them for 8 weeks after I advised not to, and her hair had already began matting, it took a long while to sort it out.

I advise refit of nanos for 6 weeks. A client left them for 8 weeks after I advised not to, and her hair had already began matting, it took a long while to sort it out.
Do you do the rotation plan? X

Never heard of a rotataion plan before, whats that? x
On my course I was told you have too leave gaps when your doing nanos on clients so then on maintenance you don't refit the nanos onto the same hair you fit them onto the rotation gaps instead. It is meant to be damaging for the natural hair if you don't do the rotation plan apparently. But I've noticed some people haven't been taught to do it so might just not bother doing it X

On my course I was told you have too leave gaps when your doing nanos on clients so then on maintenance you don't refit the nanos onto the same hair you fit them onto the rotation gaps instead. It is meant to be damaging for the natural hair if you don't do the rotation plan apparently. But I've noticed some people haven't been taught to do it so might just not bother doing it X
Iv also been advised to do this. It makes sense especially if using 1g nanos which clients seem to prefer

Hello! You may have had them fitted and some sections were not pulled straight and have twisted/loosened which may be causing them to over turn. Is this happening on the sides of your head? x
Yes it's the side ones doing this. Also is it normal for my scalp to be itching? I really want to take them out because they are so irritating but love my hair. Iv got around 50 micro loops just for thickness

I've had a client experience itching, I explained it was most likely just because there was a little bit of sensitivity and told her to let me know if it persisted.
Should you plan maintenance more often for clients with thinner hair ? Xx

Latest posts

Back