Extensions Help please, nail geek here x

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katiebbaby

Reaction score
Hi geeks please please help, I have done a search but nothing came back.

I had some extensions put in a couple of months ago I paid £100 approx for the hair from pauls hair world and had it sewn in (2 rows 18 inch ) It was fine however I found this method to harsh on the scalp and pulling really annoyed me.

So I had them removed about 3 weeks ago, and had my own hair cut only way too short for me it is now just below my shoulders all one length with fringe and was by my waist previously with layers. I have a feeling she cut my own hair on the second row of extensions the lower ones hence why she has cut it too short as I really was shocked when I seen how short it was, also I have about a 3 inch tuft I have noticed when I am drying my hair at the side so I know that she obviously has cut my own hair wiuth the top row,, iygwim. I need my hair back esp when I am going out I like a nice bouncy full blow dry, or hair up.

So I am now trying to find good hair extensionist who knows her stuff who uses good hair and method? I have found through one of my clients a girl whom is a hairdresser and also does extensions she has said originally with great lengths and or racoon I think she said. Anyhows she uses pre bonded hair by a company called wonderfulhair-extensions.co.uk she has came out to me today and gave me a price for 175 bonds in 20 inch to be fitted and cut etc £550 in all approx.

She charges £1 per bond to put in and the hair will be £370 roughly for her to purchase. Does this sound good, she has pics and they look great the hair feels lovels she showed me samples etc and matched my hair, I dont mind paying but want good hair and done well, is pre bonded good?

Please help hair geeks:hug:

Can anyone offer any advice?, I have to let her know by tomorrow,please please.

xx

Hi katie,
Firstly i'd say wow, you are being remarkably calm considering a hair extension experience has left you with shorter hair and some tufty bits!
Then you say she needs to know by tommorow and you should really have to feel under pressure to commit to this service especially as you are talking about alot of money. The only circumstances i would have to have a definate yes is if the client has a date they want the extensions done by so the hair needs to be ordered.
I had a quick look at the wonderful hair extensions site as have never heard of them before. It says its a cold fusion technique with a prebond but no glue or heat used, is this using a micro link to attach do you know?
If the hair costs that much it shd really be excellent quality , many of the hair extension brands can look great at first so if investing that amount of money would be worth finding a regular wearer of this particular brand.
The Raccon and great lengths are great hair but a diffent technique so sounds a bit confusing. Def dont be pressured , x

Also in answer to " is pre bonded good " there are so many variations. I use the prebonded methods with Cinderella and celebrity Elite hair and the hair is amazing. Cinderella is more pricey than celebrity elite as initial hair costs are highr. There are many brands of pre bonded about and many are mediocre or can be awful quality so brands are often what counts. Some prebonded are sealed to the hair with a heat gun and others with small metal micro links. x

Hi, If I were you would ask her to put some trial ones in for you roughly about four bonds close together for a couple of weeks to see how you get on with them and to test out the quality of the hair ,

She should have offered this service to you already ?
(just pay for a few hair bonds) to make sure you are suitable not allergic to anything etc ... ?

Has she shown you all her credentials ?
how experienced is she ?
Who is she insured with ?
Have you seen her training cert ?
Has she ran through the list of contraindications with you beforehand ?
Has she ran through the after care and maintenance plan ?
Has she a portfolio or any before and after pictures ?

If she is a top extensionist she will have all the above already in place for you
and as Siansy said you should not be put under any pressure

I would like to know why she hasn't put the test bonds in for you before ordering the hair ?

I too think it is way too expensive if it is for mobile extensionist .
hth

Very well said Minky, just a quick question re. the trial bonds. I have offered this to a couple of unsure clients in the past but they have either decided aginst extensions or just gone with it. so if you are putting the trial bonds/hair into shorter hair (say shoulder length) and they are going for longer hair do you then cut to their hair length? as wondering with some of these cheaper brands they look better with a good cut but leaving long end up shedding , dry ect? hope that makes sense :)

I am wondering if the 20 inch hair is very light blonde hair ? and this may be the reason why it is so expensive .....
once again do get the trial ones put in first to see x minks
hth

if you are putting the trial bonds/hair into shorter hair (say shoulder length) and they are going for longer hair do you then cut to their hair length? as wondering with some of these cheaper brands they look better with a good cut but leaving long end up shedding , dry ect? hope that makes sense :)

I know what you mean ...
for testing it would be better not to cut them and to leaving them alone :eek:
but... can you imagine how it would look lols :lol:
so.... no I don't leave long bits and peices either

but as Katiebbabys hair is long already , she will get more of a true picture with the longer extensions
as she wont need a massive amount cut off the test peices
x minks

Thank Minky, well we could always start off a new trend :lol: or bring back an old one the 80's rats tail look !!!
I was thinking the same re hair price and thought id look on the site to see how much but a closed pricing on there until you enquire. Cinderella is expensive as pre bonded s go but i would still be less than that with a mobile usually x

Katiebaby
even if you had trial pieces installed .... its usually to see if you are suited to them etc
and there is no guarantee that she will install the same hair type
so it's a big gamble

That's why word of mouth ,
and talking to someone who you have actually seen wearing her hair extensions is a massive help . hth x

Thank Minky, well we could always start off a new trend :lol: or bring back an old one the 80's rats tail look !!!
I was thinking the same re hair price and thought id look on the site to see how much but a closed pricing on there until you enquire. Cinderella is expensive as pre bonded s go but i would still be less than that with a mobile usually x

Hi Siansy ,if you yourself, or your clients really do want to test the entire piece of the hair on their own short hair ....
then they can cut the extension hair in half and attach both the pieces by using some extra bonding glue on the top of cut piece iykwim
minks x

Thanks ladies im a bit confused now lol. I am wanting done for my birthday and was me whom said id let her know, but as yet can not decide.

I think she said its not rings but keratin bonding seals which do not require glue, adhesive. She had a large swatch with her with all colours and she had brightly coloured ones aswell, she is trained with great lengths and racoon but uses these ones mobile only??

When you have them re-done it puts me off that you loose a little length as you loose the bond section and have to get new bond, but I suppose it eauals out as your own hair will have grown.

It is in a very dark brown I would say near black maybe base 2 deffo not blonde (thats a whole dif story I got quote of over £1000 from someplace) so thought this price was quite resonable, not to cheap but not over priced in terms of what you pay for etc.

I feel like crying now, as my lovely hair is not so lovely and I really want some nice, good natural extensions but am unwilling to get anycowboy or girly to touch my head,,I am willing to pay and understand you get what you pay for to a certain extent but hate being ripped off:cry::cry:

Ohh I give up,,anyone know a good hat maker :)

Katiebaby
even if you had trial pieces installed .... its usually to see if you are suited to them etc
and there is no guarantee that she will install the same hair type
so it's a big gamble

That's why word of mouth ,
and talking to someone who you have actually seen wearing her hair extensions is a massive help . hth x

I have minky, her friend is a client of mine and hence the contact. Hers look fab all the time and I would never of guessed they were extensions.

I had such a bad experience last time. Bought the hair it got sewn in my hair dry and cut dry kind off and then blown over dry,,, was awfull, really bad now I look back.

:confused::confused:

I have minky, her friend is a client of mine and hence the contact. Hers look fab all the time and I would never of guessed they were extensions.

I had such a bad experience last time. Bought the hair it got sewn in my hair dry and cut dry kind off and then blown over dry,,, was awfull, really bad now I look back.

:confused::confused:

Hi, It is a hard one ..... as you have seen her hair and you say it looks fab all the time .... so hopefully your extensions will look and remain fab too!

But!... as I haven't seen or examined the hair etc ... I really couldn't pass a full and proper opinion....

The good news is that you have seen her work a few times on your own client and you really liked it !....
and your own client has recommended her to you so that's another pluson her side

The hair is 20" inch hair
and if it is very good hair as described above then it should be worth paying out for.

I was just struggling a bit at 370 pounds for the hair alone !... but if it is 20" inches Long and extremely good hair,
plus it arrives all pre bonded!..

Then perhaps it's the good quality and the pre bonding work that has pushed up the price as pre bonding does take up a lot of time and effort.

Also
with the standard pre bonded heat method you don't have to lose any of length of the hair each time ,
as the extensionist can simply re melt a new bond in where the old bond was crumbled off the hair

Also pre bonded hair can be put in a few different ways ... one way is to heat up a nail shaped pre bonded extension with a heat clamp then press it into your own hair and roll the heated bond up to about the size of a cooked grain of rice.

The other methods are pulling the pre bonded shoe lace type extension
though a shrinkie (a little plastic see through tube ) and then using a heat clamp to neatly shrink wrap and bond everything together inside the small plastic shrinkie tube.
The glue inside doesn't actually come into direct contact with the heating clamp itself

The other method is micro links which is a little metal tube which can come in different sizes for different thickness and sizes of shoelace hair extensions etc ;
With this cold method the pre bonded shoe lace type hair isn't melted at all ,
Its all done without any heat, so the shoelace extension hair and your own hair is clamped tightly together inside the little metal tube with a special clamping tool . hth

Please let us know how you get on ? x

I pay about that for European hair at 20". Enough for a really good, full head.

I use raccoon method too.

It all sounds good to me, especially as you have seen this lady's work already.

Hi, I am getting extensions sewn in on tuesday and you have put me off saying they ruined your hair! the technition who is doing them assures me she has not had any client with damaged hair in all the years she has been doing them, she is however quite cheap as i bought my hair myself this also puts me off! im scared because i dont want to ruin my hair! is it if they are too tight that they are damaging?
thanks for the help!

Jenny you can have the same fitting with micro-ring instead of braiding and sewing in. Wouldn't be any risk to your hair then.
Google micro-ring weft application and you will see what I mean. I'd come and do it for you if I lived near enough. Was born in Leeds! But not there now.

Linda

I found it on me personally was not suited as my natural hair was long and with the hair sewn in felt really heavy and found when they drop was putting loadsa pressure on my scalp, the breakage on my own hair I suspect was down to cutting out of extensions and NOT the weight of them.

I would suspect any method can be damaging to the hair if not correctly fitted and maintained or if home care is ignored etc ( I could be wrong as not a hairdresser:confused:)

But like with nail enhancments im pretty sure hair extensions need the same love and care that nails do, an experienced educated tech, good products using correct method for that person, L&P might not suit some yet gel would, some suit square some round, I would think hair ext could be the same along with good homecare advice which is followed, and with regular maintenance to ensure they stay in perfect condition, to many people assume that it is the techs responsibility to lookafter and maintain there hair or nails or skin care etc when it is also down to the client as well,, acrylics dont ruin nails what does is improper removal to harsh filing technique, overexposure and/or a blatant ignorance by the tech for the health of the natural nail plate, I would assusme same above applies for hair extensions, as both hair and nail are the same substance keratin.

Me as a nail tech will give a client the most beautifull nail enhancments using the best products and having a passion for what I do, the health of the natural nail is my priority, yet if that client chooses to ignore my advice to use solar oil, keep them short do not pick etc or rips one off with their teeth:eek: than that is not my fault but some clients think it is MY responsibility., and will complain if there nails are not as they expected, when they try getting 4-5 weeks out of them:lol::lol:.

xxx

Hi!
I have heard/seen so many horror stories from people having wefts sewn in, from being left with bald patches to a bleeding scalp straight after they were sewn in!
My sister is a hairdresser (we live in Southport, near Liverpool) and she does Racoon bonded extensions for her clients pretty much at least once a week (fittings and re-fits), which I have in at the moment, and never have any problems with it damaging my hair. I have also gone down the route of glueing in a weft before now and also had them sewn in (but ths was a few years back and I took them out after two weeks because it made my head sore!:cry:) I used Liquid Gold glue, and it just sticks straight on to your own hair. I left the weft in about 4 weeks, and it probably would have stayed in longer, but the edges kept coming unglued through washing and styling etc so I had to re glue the edges of the weft about once a week (no biggie).
Since then I have had racoon extensions put back in, and my sister didnt mention any damage that had been caused to my hair by having the weft glued in, so I assume there wasnt any!
Obviously the major difference between these two methods are the price, you can buy a good quality remy weft and just glue it in, or spend a bit more and get bonded extensions. It is more difficult to wash your hair with the glud in weft, as Im sure you already know from when you had them sewn in, but you just have to spend a bit more time scrubbing around the weft and I found it to be fine!
I hope this helps :)
xxx

Latest posts

Back