Extensions how many strands for full head?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashley79

Ashley79
Reaction score
Can anyone advise me on how many strands to order for a full head of extensions please? I'm new to this & I have over ordered & underordered. Obviously I dont want to be out of pocket & want to give clients the best price. I do 1g stick tip & 0.9g nanos

The industry standard was always 200 strands for a full head but unfortunately not everyone sticks to this, making it impossible for people to compare prices. I've had clients who have had Easilocks fitted elsewhere come to me with as little as 110 strands thinking they had a full head. I've seen full head, extra thick full head and super thick full head advertised when what they are actually offering is a half head, 3/4 head and a full head.

Your clients own hair should determine how many extensions you apply. You need to look at their density, length, layers, etc. and what they want to achieve before deciding how many strands you need. I would also look at ordering different weight strands depending on how fine/thick and dense your clients hair is. 1g strands are far too heavy for someone with very thin/fine hair.

I do extra full, full, 3/4, half etc....
With that being approx 220g, 180g, 140g, 100g and so on.
If someone has a smaller head or fine hair for instance ill tell them they only need a 3/4 head or 1/2 head; I would never palm them off telling them it's a full head (even though it is a full head for them iykwim?) Xxx

The industry standard was always 200 strands for a full head but unfortunately not everyone sticks to this, making it impossible for people to compare prices. I've had clients who have had Easilocks fitted elsewhere come to me with as little as 110 strands thinking they had a full head. I've seen full head, extra thick full head and super thick full head advertised when what they are actually offering is a half head, 3/4 head and a full head.

Your clients own hair should determine how many extensions you apply. You need to look at their density, length, layers, etc. and what they want to achieve before deciding how many strands you need. I would also look at ordering different weight strands depending on how fine/thick and dense your clients hair is. 1g strands are far too heavy for someone with very thin/fine hair.
Thank you. I guess I can't have a set price for clients. When I trained they said 200. I did 200 in my first set & it look too thick & really unnatural. I did a lady with really fine hair so I used 0.5g stick tip, she had 180, she was happy with it but I thought the hair looked really thin. I fit fitting them the easy part, the rest is so complicated!!

If someone has a smaller head or fine hair for instance ill tell them they only need a 3/4 head or 1/2 head; I would never palm them off telling them it's a full head (even though it is a full head for them iykwim?) Xxx
So I would need to give people different prices depending on their own thickness of hair. That makes it more tricky to advertise

So I would need to give people different prices depending on their own thickness of hair. That makes it more tricky to advertise
also do you charge more to fit them if more stands are used for extra time taken?

So if someone has quite fine hair, but wants super thick extensions, what do you all recommend? I do mostly micro rings btw! I find if I try and squeeze too many in on fine hair my sections obviously get smaller and on fine hair they just lose loads of extensions!

I would say around 150 strands. Have a even balance of natural hair and hair extensions

I charge the cost of the hair then a set price pet hour to fit them. I hsve an example price list for each length of 8-22" and for full, 3/4 and 1/2 but say it's a bespoke service and a final cost will be given at consultation depending on the required result. If they have fine hair and want extra thick extensions I just say no as their hair won't hold it xxx

I charge the cost of the hair then a set price pet hour to fit them. I hsve an example price list for each length of 8-22" and for full, 3/4 and 1/2 but say it's a bespoke service and a final cost will be given at consultation depending on the required result. If they have fine hair and want extra thick extensions I just say no as their hair won't hold it xxx
Bespoke.. I shall use that thank you!

Do you mean the extensions would fall out because their is too fine for them or that they would damage their hair??

Potential damage xxx

Potential damage xxx
Would you recommend 0.5g for really fine hair? & would they need twice at many in than 1g or would this be equally damaging?

Yeah 0.5g for really fine hair, or half the 1g bonds :) also just keep in mind a 1g strand of 10" hair looks twice as thick as 1g strand of 20" so you will need more of the longer lengths to give a thicker look xxx

Yeah 0.5g for really fine hair, or half the 1g bonds :) also just keep in mind a 1g strand of 10" hair looks twice as thick as 1g strand of 20" so you will need more of the longer lengths to give a thicker look xxx
Most clients seem to want 18 or 20"

For me it's a real mix but I have a mixed age range of 18-60 for extensions!! :) xxx

Thank you. I guess I can't have a set price for clients. When I trained they said 200. I did 200 in my first set & it look too thick & really unnatural. I did a lady with really fine hair so I used 0.5g stick tip, she had 180, she was happy with it but I thought the hair looked really thin. I fit fitting them the easy part, the rest is so complicated!!
Don't give yourself a hard time, I've been doing extensions for over 12 years and I still under/over estimate from time to time. You need to look at your clients natural hair and manage their expectations. If someone has incredibly thin, collar length hair, 20" will look terrible, you just won't be able to fit enough in. Recommend 16" and concentrate on the thickness. If they don't like that, let someone else do it, don't lose your integrity or reputation by doing work you know isn't good. You'll learn to adapt the application to suit the individual.

Last edited:
Yes to everything hairart just said!! If you get a bad feeling, don't do it! You will know what's going to look good or not. I'm finding myself doing a lot of 12" extensions just now for the Khloe kardashian style.
Don't let people dictate length in inches either, a lot of people seem to thing 20" isn't that long! Ask them where they want it to sit on them :) xxx

Don't give yourself a hard time, I've been doing extensions for over 12 years and I still under/over estimate from time to time. You need to look at your clients natural hair and manage their expectations. If someone has incredibly thin, collar length hair, 20" will look terrible, you just won't be able to fit enough in. Recommend 16" and concentrate on the thickness. If they don't like that, let someone else do it, don't lose your integrity or reputation by doing work you know isn't good. You'll learn to adapt the application to suit the individual.
Thanks I do tend to overthink & worry too much!

Yes to everything hairart just said!! If you get a bad feeling, don't do it! You will know what's going to look good or not. I'm finding myself doing a lot of 12" extensions just now for the Khloe kardashian style.
Don't let people dictate length in inches either, a lot of people seem to thing 20" isn't that long! Ask them where they want it to sit on them :) xxx
Where do you buy yours from if u don't mind me asking? Where I have looked it's no cheaper for 12" than 18". I am trying to promote extensions for older ladies aswell as the barbie look lol & some just want thicker hair rather than added length so want to give them value for money

Latest posts

Back