Extensions slipping out of the ring: plastic tips the problem?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trashqueen

Reaction score
Hi guys. I've recently had training with Oakley Academy for a nano ring hair extensions and fitted my first set yesterday on a colleague.

She already had nano rings fitted, took them out at the beginning of the week and I ordered silicone lined nano rings to refit with. The tips on her nano strands are made of plastic, not metal like I trained with. I didn't even realised they came like that til I took them out!

After I refitted the first three rows, I used a loop brush to gently smooth the hair out and two came out immediately! Ring firmly secured the hair, just the extension strand fell out. I went through every ring and retightened, thinking I had not applied enough pressure. Once finished, a couple more fell out during styling and this morning when she brushed her hair. She is well acquainted with extensions and knows how to care for them properly. The ones that fell out also have the ring still firmly attached to her hair.

The only thing I can think of is that I should have used unlined nano rings and that plastic against the silicone is too slippy? Nothing was mentioned in training about different material tips and I'm frustrated and disappointed today :(

Thanks!

Did she have silicone lined rings originally? There was a thread on here recently saying the plastic nano tips don't stay in well with silicone lined rings.

I don't think they were, but can't say for certain. I'll try and search the thread. I don't think it could be anything else, my rings were firmly attached to the hair!

Hey with the plastic nano tips I don't use silicone used nanos and I don't have any big problems with slippage
X

I've just ordered unlined nano rings, so let's hope it is that! Really hoping its not my technique and very grateful its on an understanding colleague not a paying client!

I've just ordered unlined nano rings, so let's hope it is that! Really hoping its not my technique and very grateful its on an understanding colleague not a paying client!
I think it will be because of the rings, BeautyWorks sell the plastic tip nanos and they sell unlined silicone rings to go with them.
Be really careful when clamping and un clamping non silicone lined nanos though X

I think it will be because of the rings, BeautyWorks sell the plastic tip nanos and they sell unlined silicone rings to go with them.
Be really careful when clamping and un clamping non silicone lined nanos though X

Thanks. I think the hair is Beauty Works, haven't spotted tips like that anywhere else.

Why be careful? :( If I'm right and the last set of rings applied were unlined, I already unclamped with no problems.

Thanks. I think the hair is Beauty Works, haven't spotted tips like that anywhere else.

Why be careful? :( If I'm right and the last set of rings applied were unlined, I already unclamped with no problems.
Yeah probably is beauty works I haven't seen anywhere else selling them X
When I was training the teacher just said you can cut through the hair with the metal bead if it's not silicone lined Xx

Yeah probably is beauty works I haven't seen anywhere else selling them X
When I was training the teacher just said you can cut through the hair with the metal bead if it's not silicone lined Xx
Oh ok, good to know. Hopefully this will the only set I have to do like this, I'm not looking at Beauty Works as my own hair supplier.

Hi guys. I've recently had training with Oakley Academy for a nano ring hair extensions and fitted my first set yesterday on a colleague.

She already had nano rings fitted, took them out at the beginning of the week and I ordered silicone lined nano rings to refit with. The tips on her nano strands are made of plastic, not metal like I trained with. I didn't even realised they came like that til I took them out!

After I refitted the first three rows, I used a loop brush to gently smooth the hair out and two came out immediately! Ring firmly secured the hair, just the extension strand fell out. I went through every ring and retightened, thinking I had not applied enough pressure. Once finished, a couple more fell out during styling and this morning when she brushed her hair. She is well acquainted with extensions and knows how to care for them properly. The ones that fell out also have the ring still firmly attached to her hair.

The only thing I can think of is that I should have used unlined nano rings and that plastic against the silicone is too slippy? Nothing was mentioned in training about different material tips and I'm frustrated and disappointed today :(

Thanks!

Hello! Yes the nanos come in several tips now which we also teach our students about in all of our hair extension courses at Belle. Another reason for slippage with Nano rings could also be your section sizes, how wide and deep would you say your sections are? x

Latest posts

Back