Extra dye aplication

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prawncorner

Reaction score
hello experts,my wife has recently had her hair dyed at a salon as she has done several times before but on this occasion,about half an hour after returning home,her head was burning and blistering.she told me that the stylist had used loreal professionel dye as before but this time she applied the solution to the roots and left for 40 min as always but then applied the same solution to the roots again and left for a further 20 min before washing with silver shampoo,drying and cutting.the whole thing took 2hrs.
heres my question,would this second application and extended exposure time be the cause of the blistered scalp and hair loss my wife is now suffering from? or could it be an allergic reaction and if so,should a patch test not have been done?

hello experts,my wife has recently had her hair dyed at a salon as she has done several times before but on this occasion,about half an hour after returning home,her head was burning and blistering.she told me that the stylist had used loreal professionel dye as before but this time she applied the solution to the roots and left for 40 min as always but then applied the same solution to the roots again and left for a further 20 min before washing with silver shampoo,drying and cutting.the whole thing took 2hrs.
heres my question,would this second application and extended exposure time be the cause of the blistered scalp and hair loss my wife is now suffering from? or could it be an allergic reaction and if so,should a patch test not have been done?
Patch testing is a requirement. A patch test now has to be done every 6 months unless the insurance policy states otherwise.
This could be sensitivity due to over exposure.
Is your wife's scalp red? Blistered? Does the skin feel tight or weapy?
Does the salon know about this?
Protocol would be for you / your wife to notify the salon of such a problem. If they're competent they should be able to recognise the issue and offer aftercare advice.
For now I'd advise that your wife does not wash her hair unless she continues to experience a burning sensation - if so rinse with cool water for a good few minutes - do not shampoo or condition.
Do not blowdry or apply any styling product.
If the skin starts to split of become seriously inflamed I would suggest she seeks medical advice.
Usually this subsides after a couple of days.
But you wife will have to be very careful with her scalp for a few weeks.
And before she has any other chemicals put on her scalp she has to have a patch test!

I hope this helps. If there's anything else you nerd to know, let me know :)
I hope your wife's scalp is better soon. 🤞

According to your profile info, you’re based in the U.K. How has she had her hair coloured whilst in Lockdown?

According to your profile info, you’re based in the U.K. How has she had her hair coloured whilst in Lockdown?
That is a very good question AcidPerm

this was done nearly seven months ago between lockdowns and she is still suffering from the effects,she lost a lot of hair and now has dermatitus on her scalp

Patch testing is a requirement. A patch test now has to be done every 6 months unless the insurance policy states otherwise.
This could be sensitivity due to over exposure.
Is your wife's scalp red? Blistered? Does the skin feel tight or weapy?
Does the salon know about this?
Protocol would be for you / your wife to notify the salon of such a problem. If they're competent they should be able to recognise the issue and offer aftercare advice.
For now I'd advise that your wife does not wash her hair unless she continues to experience a burning sensation - if so rinse with cool water for a good few minutes - do not shampoo or condition.
Do not blowdry or apply any styling product.
If the skin starts to split of become seriously inflamed I would suggest she seeks medical advice.
Usually this subsides after a couple of days.
But you wife will have to be very careful with her scalp for a few weeks.
And before she has any other chemicals put on her scalp she has to have a patch test!

I hope this helps. If there's anything else you nerd to know, let me know :)
I hope your wife's scalp is better soon. 🤞
thank you for your reply.

this was done nearly seven months ago between lockdowns and she is still suffering from the effects,she lost a lot of hair and now has dermatitus on her scalp

How is 7 months ago ‘recently’?
If you want useful advice, you have to be completely honest with us.

If she was having regular root touch ups at the same salon, using the same product, then it’s not necessary to have a patch test beforehand, as roots are normally re-done done within around 6-8 weeks. However, if it’s a root touch up using the same products as before, I don’t understand why it would require a second application of product?

It is rare for a scalp to actually blister and therefore, she must have experienced some degree of a burning sensation whilst the product was on her scalp. At what point did she advise the hairdresser that she was feeling some discomfort? You said her hair was blow dried afterwards, but she would have had to be suffering some degree of pain by then.

Did she immediately visit her doctor for advice?

From the information provided, I would assume the hair was pre-lightened with a bleach which is not usually advised to be skin tested for in the UK with L'Oréal.

Your wife should seek medical advice before re-colouring her hair. In my experience this would most likely involve private allergy testing with a dermatologist.

Latest posts

Back