Extra long lunula's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lily

Reaction score
Hi there,
Just wanted some advise and if anybody had ever come accross this before:|
I was exhibiting at the Spring Salon exhibition at the weekens and was doing some demo's......when a girl sat down and I looked at her nails, her Lunula's were nearly up to her free edge:eek: I was wandering what you would do as regards applying artificail nails as wouldn't the nails be extra soft as it has'nt fully keratanised:eek:
Amanda

great question cant wait to the answer as well

Hi Amanda
Although such a big lunula is quite rare it can often be found on the thumb and usually has quite deep ridges in the nail associated with it.
These ridges are mostly caused by unnoticeable(!) damage to the soft, exposed nail. These should not be buffed out as they would thin the nail plate far too much.
I see no real reason to avoid applying artificial nails but extreme care must be taken as the nail is delicate. Points I would recommend to take care with:
Thorough preparation is always important but take mor time than usual to be thorough but gentle.
Use a thick adhesive for the tips so an uneven surface is dealt with effectively.
Avoid buffing the nail at all (see opinions on buffing tips) except for very gentle buffing to remove the shine and only with a fine buffer (240 grit or higher)
Be exceptionally gentle during finishing around the cuticle area and do not touch the nail plate.
It may be that the overlay does not like the uneven surface of the nail plate and lifting will occur. This will need careful watching until you are confident that all is well so maybe a 1 week maintenance visit is advisable.
It may be an idea to apply a thin layer of adhesive over the nail after prep to help even out the surface and help with bonding (apply avoiding soft tissue, allow to dry and gently remove shine)
Some ideas but I am sure there will be more
Marian

I have never seen this on all the nails before .... I have seen very large lunulas on thumbs. Anyway ... Marion has covered all the bases for you can't really add anything more that she hasn't said already.

Hiya,

Thanx Marian for help, but just wanted to say that the lady didnot have any ridges:| and all the nails especially the thumbs had really long lunula's.......I have never seen this either as they were nearly up to the free edge:eek: when i asked her if they had always been like this she said yes. What about removal? would you remove as normal?
Amanda

Lily said:
Hiya,

Thanx Marian for help, but just wanted to say that the lady didnot have any ridges:| and all the nails especially the thumbs had really long lunula's.......I have never seen this either as they were nearly up to the free edge:eek: when i asked her if they had always been like this she said yes. What about removal? would you remove as normal?
Amanda

I can't see what other option you would have but to remove them as normal if they require removing. Personally I woud do a wrap enhancement. It certainly would not be a good idea to buff the product off, bearing in mind the nature of the plate. Can you not ascertain how strong these nail plates are?

In my opinion it woud be a good idea to obtain Doctor's or better still a podiatrist's permission before doing a treatment on this lady just to be on the safe side. I myself would think twice about doing these nails without obtaining an experts advice. Not saying not to do them, but is it worth it?

Hi there,
Thanx for that Geeg, I met her at the exhibition so prob won't see her again!!!!but I know what to do in the future if I come accross this again. Her nail plates were very soft by the way......if i do come accross this again i think it would be best to refer and get a letter from the G.P......
Thanx again
Amanda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back