Extraction for Acrylic nails

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawncbn

Reaction score
Hi, has anybody bought a good extraction fan suitable to get rid of the fumes caused by the liquid that is used for doing acrylics? I want to be able to keep the nail station at the front of the shop so that its seen by passing trade, but I have had one or two ladies having their hair done complain how powerful the smell is :|

The vapour shouldn't be that big an issue if you are working smart with your monomer.

The following was written by Geeg on another thread so I have copy and pasted:

Thought I would share a few tips with all of you Liquid & Powder users who may :?: :?: I say MAY because it is not the case with everyone - be producing a more than necessary amount of odor in whatever setting you are doing nails - salon, home, booth etc.

An odor problem or an excess amount of odor is completely avoidable if you work with good habits and an understanding of WHY you are causing it.

First of all, how long is that dappen dish open while you are working? I am assuming that we are all working with a covered dappen dish right? (Pumps are not a good idea for monomer) Maximum of ten minutes? It is NOT the dappen dish that is causing the problem.

1. How often do you wipe your brush whilst working and where do you wipe it?
2. Where and into what do you throw your waste materials?

The answers to these two questions form 90% of where your odor comes from AND if you make the appropriate changes, I guarantee you will reduce the odor in the work place by 80% :!:

Monomer liquid is expensive - so don't waste it by wiping it out of your brush to acheive the right mix!! Make the right mix first time every time by getting to know your brush, how much liquid it holds and making the correct size bead every time. :shock:

Avoid wiping your brush (when you have to wipe it) on a tissue or paper. The paper just spreads the liquid area larger as it absorbs and creates a tremendous amount of odor. Instead, use a gauze or other lint-free pad that has been slightly dampened with sanitising solution and place it where it is easy to wipe your brush on. Because the pad is already slightly damp, it draws the liquid from your brush into the pad and traps the odor. A second benefit is that you are less likely to lean in it with your wrist whilst working!! :(

Lastly ... always store your waste materials in a METAL bin (trash can) with a lid. Plastic bins are porous and just let the odor seep out of them and into the room. Using a metal bin alone will reduce odor significantly. :p

HTH

If you are going to put in an extraction unit place it close to the desk and cllose to the ground as monomer vapour is denser than air and will drop to the floor, so a low down extraction unit would be more efficient.

Thank you, good advice there.

Here are two possible solutions from NSI........hope this helps :cool:

Fuminator

Fuminatorhttp://www.nsiscotland.co.uk/media/fuminator.jpg
A new revolution in fume extraction, the 12v fan motor removes unwanted fumes and filing dust. With ultra quiet operation the rotating front filter provides filtration eight times better than a stationary filter. Fully adjustable to almost any working angle the filter and can be changed easily and quickly. Available in black or white.
£82.40 +vat

Technicians Nail Fan

Technicians padded arm rest with built in nail Nail Fan for collecting dust caused by filing.
NSIhttp://www.nsiscotland.co.uk/content/nail_fan
Normal price £90 +vat Now only £60+VAT

Last edited:
Hi I got the latter one from e-bay very cheap looks exactly the same.

Hi I got the latter one from e-bay very cheap looks exactly the same.

Ditto, got the same. It was 30$ which is about 15pounds/euros or whatever (sorry, not good with currencies) for you guys.

It works 'ok', but.... I want better. And there's always dust that escapes the bag and sits under the extractor.
I also find that because of the way it's built, I wind up with a crick in the side of my neck because my shoulders hunch up. So I don't use it as often as I should. I have tried putting my seat higher... but that didn't resolve the problem.

I'm thinking of the sunflower myself.

BAU USA: Products

These sort of systems may reduce dust (which is good) but they do not eliminate odour.

Good salon practises and habits DO.

I dont mind the odour you get used to it. x

Ditto, got the same. It was 30$ which is about 15pounds/euros or whatever (sorry, not good with currencies) for you guys.

It works 'ok', but.... I want better. And there's always dust that escapes the bag and sits under the extractor.
I also find that because of the way it's built, I wind up with a crick in the side of my neck because my shoulders hunch up. So I don't use it as often as I should. I have tried putting my seat higher... but that didn't resolve the problem.

I'm thinking of the sunflower myself.

BAU USA: Products

Did you buy the sunflower II if so how do u like it? I want it to extract dust.

I've had a Sunflower II for a few months now and it works very nicely to keep the gel dust out of my breathing zone. I posted a review and the installation saga in the Nail Report link my signature.

The motor fell out of the unit after several months. Peter got back to me very quickly over a weekend and had me send in the unit to inspect it. He sent a replacement motor back out to me with my unit right away.

S

Latest posts

Back