Extreme hair loss/thinning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronray

Reaction score
Beware! Long Post ahead!
I have been experiencing a lot of hairloss recently, it started as general thinning, but now I vertually have a bald patch on the crown area. This is not something that runs in the family. I'm only in my 20's so this is a major concern. I have been using a shampoo that helps stimulate the scalp and encourages hair growth and have been using this since December but I've noticed no change in my hair, other than its getting even thinner. It at the point now where I have to have a few inches cut off because its so whispy. My hair was always thicker than the average person's hair. Can anyone please advise what I might be experiencing? Should I go to the doctors?

Find out if there are any trichologists with clinics near you they will be able to run blood tests and analyse the readings in relation to hair and scalp

Find out if there are any trichologists with clinics near you they will be able to run blood tests and analyse the readings in relation to hair and scalp
thanks for your reply I'm hoping to see a trichologist in a few weeks. Hopefully it's not male pattern baldness lol

There are some treatments for hair loss, in particular for men. My daughter has suffered with it for 12 years now, and has recently decided to shave her head rather than apply a lotion daily. Being female, she doesn't have many options open to her. Good luck, I hope your appointment is successful

There are some treatments for hair loss, in particular for men. My daughter has suffered with it for 12 years now, and has recently decided to shave her head rather than apply a lotion daily. Being female, she doesn't have many options open to her. Good luck, I hope your appointment is successful
I've been using regaine which is minoxidil based, minoxidil is the treatment that a trichologist or dermatologist usually prescribes for hairloss. I'm on week 6-7 and don't really see a difference. So I'm starting to worry now. Do you know what your daughters is caused by? Hope it grows back for her so she can enjoy her hair again.

How I feel for you , my hair is very much thinner since the menopause sadly. However I am not complaining as you have genuine reason to be upset.
I bet you can't wait to see the trichologist ASAP.
The bloodtests you will need will help to rule out anaemia or hormonal discrepancies hopefully.
Ronray, is your mothers father balding or bald? The x chromosome carries the gene unfortunately. With both my sons I had hoped they would have their dads full head of hair , but they have their maternal grandads crap hair....it's all my fault afterall..!!

So my eldest son was very thin on top and temples by 25/26 years and still retains some hair now he is 32. He tried Regaine and then got fed up with using it, so hs resigned to shave it all off one day.... trust me his hair was stunningly long and wavy. So a big shocker to us all.

One of my clients had a gift from her partner which was an electronic device she had that was light based stimulator , so using it for around 10 minutes per day several times a week , she definately saw an improvement. He got it for her from QVC and that meant it was a very safe purchase,
It was quite expensive , but had a 90 day money back guarantee , maybe worth a trial ??
Good luck

How I feel for you , my hair is very much thinner since the menopause sadly. However I am not complaining as you have genuine reason to be upset.
I bet you can't wait to see the trichologist ASAP.
The bloodtests you will need will help to rule out anaemia or hormonal discrepancies hopefully.
Ronray, is your mothers father balding or bald? The x chromosome carries the gene unfortunately. With both my sons I had hoped they would have their dads full head of hair , but they have their maternal grandads crap hair....it's all my fault afterall..!!

So my eldest son was very thin on top and temples by 25/26 years and still retains some hair now he is 32. He tried Regaine and then got fed up with using it, so hs resigned to shave it all off one day.... trust me his hair was stunningly long and wavy. So a big shocker to us all.

One of my clients had a gift from her partner which was an electronic device she had that was light based stimulator , so using it for around 10 minutes per day several times a week , she definately saw an improvement. He got it for her from QVC and that meant it was a very safe purchase,
It was quite expensive , but had a 90 day money back guarantee , maybe worth a trial ??
Good luck
Thank you for your reply. My mum's dad is thin on top with a bald patch at the crown but this didn't happen to him until he was well in his 50s. I'm only 24, and much like your son, I have shoulder length curly hair. I really don't want to resort to having a bald head. As far as I know the follicles are still there, so hopefully it's short term, rather than long term.

I've been using regaine which is minoxidil based, minoxidil is the treatment that a trichologist or dermatologist usually prescribes for hairloss. I'm on week 6-7 and don't really see a difference. So I'm starting to worry now. Do you know what your daughters is caused by? Hope it grows back for her so she can enjoy her hair again.
Are you buying minoxidil over the counter? Usually the doctors can prescribe a stronger dose. Also, as a male, there is some medication you can take.
My daughters body is producing hormones that are suffocating her hair follicles. The minoxidil did help a little, but she was fed up of using it every day. She was assessed for a transplant, but again, she would have to use the minoxidil on a daily basis if they would go ahead. She has now (26) embraced her uniqueness and she shaves. Her wig (she had to fight for it to be paid, she doesn't live in the uk) makes her look frumpy, and it itches, so she doesn't wear it.
She also tried waxing it (just a small strip) woah! don't try that, lol!
Ideally, she would like to have laser treatment so that she doesn't need to shave but no one will do it for her.
The bizarre thing was that she had so much thick hair until she was 12 - 13.
I hope you find some answers, keep us updated x

Are you buying minoxidil over the counter? Usually the doctors can prescribe a stronger dose. Also, as a male, there is some medication you can take.
My daughters body is producing hormones that are suffocating her hair follicles. The minoxidil did help a little, but she was fed up of using it every day. She was assessed for a transplant, but again, she would have to use the minoxidil on a daily basis if they would go ahead. She has now (26) embraced her uniqueness and she shaves. Her wig (she had to fight for it to be paid, she doesn't live in the uk) makes her look frumpy, and it itches, so she doesn't wear it.
She also tried waxing it (just a small strip) woah! don't try that, lol!
Ideally, she would like to have laser treatment so that she doesn't need to shave but no one will do it for her.
The bizarre thing was that she had so much thick hair until she was 12 - 13.
I hope you find some answers, keep us updated x
Wow I didn't realise that even after a transplant that you'd still need to use the minoxidil every day!
Ouch I can imagine waxing was painful! I tried waxing my beard once that was bad enough!
Good on her for embracing it! Thank you :) I will keep you updated.

Last edited:
Ronray, I`m so sorry for your problem. As a male (27) baldness is my biggest fear. I have quite thick hair but i`ve been bleaching it for the last 2 years.

Wow I didn't realise that even after a transplant that you'd still need to use the minoxidil every day!
Ouch I can imagine waxing was painful! I tried waxing my beard once that was bad enough!
Good on her for embracing it! Thank you :) I will keep you updated.
Perhaps that's not the case with everyone. Maybe because she's female, she would need to use it daily. Definitely a question to ask if that's what you are considering.

Latest posts

Back