Extremely matted hair please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jodielou

Reaction score
Okay no judging please!!!

So long story short
I was severley depressed spent a full year or 2 in bed pretty mucheveryday. And ashamedto say i didnt brush my hair likr at all it was kept in a bun! The worst thingyou could do.
Now its all matted and in a giant ball of mattness!! I cant even hide it no more. Its the worst matting ive ever seen and ive googled!!! I dont know what to do. I need to cut it off and try figure out if i can put extensions in or get a wig or something
My life has been hell but I'm finally getting om top form but my hair is dragging me down ( quite literally ) wth am i going to do?? Who do i turn to. I dont want to relive my past or be that person anymore but my hair is holding me down. I hate it.

Sorry to hear that you’ve been having problems but well done on getting your life back on track. Do you have any friends or family who could recommend a hairdresser to you? Otherwise, look online for an experienced mobile hairdresser who will come to you and assess your hair and give you some practical advice. Depending on how matted it is, it might be best to get it cut very short initially like a pixie cut. You could always buy a good quality wig for when you fancy having a long hair day.

I’d grab a big jar of coconut oil and a tangle teaser, and a friend, and get to work. Cut the worst of the ends off and then starting from the ends, gently comb at it.

My brother grew in dreadlocks from his hair being a couple of inches long and when they reached just past his shoulders he decided to brush them out - it took a week or so, and a lot of oil, but once the dead hair was all combed out he was left with quite a lot of length still.

It takes time and patience but it is usually possible to comb out at least some of the matting!
If you don’t feel up to this, what AcidPerm said is exactly right - a good mobile hairdresser will come to you - perhaps ask on Facebook who is good in your area? And a fun pixie style cut is the perfect style to get rid of the damaged hair and anything it maybe emotionally represents to you - nothing says fresh start like a sharp cut [emoji5]

Latest posts

Back