Extremely small nail beds-help needed urgently!!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miss Pink23

Reaction score
I recently had a new client requesting p&w, she informed me she bites her nails-but that did not prepare me what what her nails are really like.
They arereally bad, but thats what were here for.
I did them and was very proud of how they looked, but her nail beds were EXTREMELY small, as in that I had to even file the 'ears' of the tips so far down so that they did not go down into the sides of her skin and cut her.
So,my question is, other than scuplting (as I have not mastered this yet-and dont even think it would be possible as no free edge is visible and wontbe for quitesome time) how should I go about tipping these nails as now she has broken 2 which need repairing? Should I just persevere and wait until her nails grow which will make application easier or is there something else I can do????
Please help.

Hi

Glynis aka Peter pan has a fantasic tutorial .. sorry I don't know how to add the link but if you search under building free edges without forms you should find it... sorry I'm useless with computers:hug:

Thanks karen-I have seen this tutorial before its great isnt it.
The only problem with this is that my customer wants some length!!!!!

I'd advise her against this, if her nail bed is really tiny and she has long nails, she'll only end up breaking them.. but I'm sure she'll have to find that out the hard way.

I had the same problem a while ago and just used a tip tapered at the sides.. the client wanted them really long and I tried my best to talk her out of it, but she insisted on having them long... I thought they looked horrible when I had finsihed as they looked so out of proportion.. a tiny nail bed and a long white tip .. she thought they were beautifull (I'd love to be able to extend the nail bed but haven't done this yet).. I'm sure there are tutorials about extending the nail bed on here somewhere ..

My thoughts indeed.
I did extend the nails beds but they could have looked betterand yes im sure she will loose more and will end up taking the whole lot off and either creating the free edge without forms or loosing her altogether as she wants longish but really cant haveit.
x

I have an ongoing story about a client who was the worst nail biter I have had to deal with in the photo gallery on our website. Explain that they will have loads of problems to begin with, but work together and you can get your client to have great nails. we are into week 7 and still a way to go, but she's not bitten them. Check it out on www.enhance-salon.com and go to the photo gallery and the nail biter makeover pics. you can follow Rose's progress! She thinks it is great as every other nail technician has told her there was no hope as her nails were too bad!

I have an ongoing story about a client who was the worst nail biter I have had to deal with in the photo gallery on our website. Explain that they will have loads of problems to begin with, but work together and you can get your client to have great nails. we are into week 7 and still a way to go, but she's not bitten them. Check it out on www.enhance-salon.com and go to the photo gallery and the nail biter makeover pics. you can follow Rose's progress! She thinks it is great as every other nail technician has told her there was no hope as her nails were too bad!
Just wanted to say your doing a fantastic job on Rose! :)

Those pics are awesome! I had a client that had less than that for nail beds. and narrow nails to boot. We tried and tried to get her nails to grow out, but she didn't like to come in every 2 weeks to keep them up. We found that the nail bed was so short that in 2 weeks they were growing right off. i sculpt and it was no easy feat...so needless to say we tried but the clients wasn't willing to make the commitment.

Congrats on great nails!

Good luck with your client.. that really "bites" that she chews

Best thing with nail biters is to get them to come weekly for a while (Rose will be a long while!) and charge half price, the nails just won't last 2 weeks in the early stages of a very bad nail biter - they are built on too weak a foundation, bulbous skin pushing up against the tip, client not used to having any nail at all, still fiddles with them ... the list goes on!

When I have a nail biter, I say all the things that everyone else on this thread has mentioned, plus I recommend that the clients do a nice polish colour instead of a P&W, that way you won't have to blend the tip, so it will adhere better. Once their nails have grown out, then you can do a P&W.

Fantastic Job Sass.

I do alot of nail biters and I am very firm and quite strict about their programme- they must return weekly. As you dont actually have a nailbiter just a small nail plate I would still be firm and explain why I need to do xyz if she doesnt listen and still wants long nails just let her ensuring she has signed her consultation form saying she is going against your professional advice.

hi !
Ido the nailbiting programme differently and to date I have had huge success

I always ask a new on the phone if they are a nailbiter so that I can tell them a little about my programme.
I rarely tip and overlay on the first date!
-In my experience the customer is annoyed that the tip /overlay comes off and breaks.. and they either dont come back or Im left with more damage to natural nails(whats left )by filing and tipping again. Photos of Rose's progress reminds me that I simply HAVE to buy a camera for the shop!
Anyway- I always do at least one manicure at least a week before we put on a set -my nail biters treatment always involves consultation, a very cuticle focuced manicure and a free bottle of Solar oil (mini) - it is amazing what a manicure can do ! If the nails are way too short I do not paint them I high polish them and advise oiling 2ce a day at least -then they come back in week or two for another manicure normally depending on how desperate the customer is for long nails of course and then a week later I tip and overlay
In my experience most nail biters have tried extentions before and have been disappointed with nails that have not stayed on at all. Also by performing the manicure. the nails /tops of fingers are more likely to be less saliva drenched and bulbous and the customer is more importantly actively involved in the programme and receives praise for a job well done rather than a quick fix.

My last nail biter had nails like Rose - she had two manicures with me over a 5 week course and was religious with her oil (which gave her something to do with her nails)and in the end we actually did a natural nail overlay as she didnt want to cut the nails she had worked so hard in grooming! One very happy customer and she is going with the flow of her natural nail growth. Sure I could have done a quick fix but I know that by doing what I did - I have an emotional relationship with my customer and she trusts me and raves to everyone about how they are not ''fake'' there hers but with a little something to strengthen them over ! :green:

This is my approach and to be honest every nail biter I have ever treated (bar one ) is still with me and are very proud of their natural nail overlays and if there ever has been a problem my customer is more likely to call and discuss rather than be disappointed and pick!

works for me!

Cait x

Have to say that we are switching to NNO's as she just isn't getting on with tips, first time I've ever had that problem though.

Latest posts

Back