Eye makeup before or after foundation?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annemarie

CND Grand Master tech
Reaction score
Just a quick question for all you makeup artists. Do you apply eyemakeup before or after foundation? Just curious as I apply after foundation which us what I was taught? :biggrin:

Of course! This is the basic knowledge for any make up artist... :|

I think your basic knowledge is incorrect.

Just a quick question for all you makeup artists. Do you apply eyemakeup before or after foundation? Just curious as I apply after foundation which us what I was taught? :biggrin:]

It's matter of preference. It can be done either way. I personally apply before and after, depends on the look i am trying to achieve. Darker shadows like black tend to have more fallout, so I apply first so that clean-up is easier. There are no set rules on which should be applied first :)

If I'm using dark colours/glitters/pigments then I do the eyes first to clean up fallout. Otherwise I'll generally do foundation first.

It really doesn't matter though. Do whichever you prefer. X

I normally do eyes first, if not I will do skin, eyes then conceal under eyes.
I like clients skin to be fresh and perfect..
To say it's basic knowledge is laughable, some of the best artists in the industry to eyes first!
As already mentioned its preference.

Wow lol who got out if bed the wrong side today... above!

I always apply after I never use cheap I powders and I make sure I tap my brush before I put I powders on anyway. This means far less fallout onto the cheeks. So I was pie my campus meaning foundation powder concealers first. You can also hold a tissue under the eye to catch any fallout from the powders. Nice to blend in all around the Face including eye area with the sane base.

I'm not a make-up artist but whenever I've had my make-up done, I've always had my eyes done first.
I once had it done by NARS and they did my foundation first.
I suppose everyone has their own way of working :)

That I can understand. But it would be good to know how people do this as there may be situations when it is better to do eye make-up first... or after...

Do what suits you! There's no wrongs or rights. As someone said earlier, if you're using a shadow with a lot of fall out do foundation after x

Thanks for the advice ladies. Well I had a makeup client in today who wanted heavy eye makeup with glitter. So for once I did the eyes first and to be honest I found it much easier and less stressful doing it this way.
I hate the fall out from dark eyeshadow and even though I use a tissue under the eye when applying it, it still manages to get onto clients skin. Then I Have to clean it up and touch up with more foundation etc. Think I'll be doing it this wy more often in future.:)

This is what my study materials say, if you trying to cast doubt on what is taught by make up teachers then maybe you're wrong? Or probably you even didn't read anything when you study, as you don't have any understanding at all. And you even still thinking you're right. My advice to you, that before putting other people words under doubt at first you should better check your own knowledge.

You may have been taught like that, others may have been taught differently. I have been taught both. It's a matter of preference.

Last edited:
I'm a MUA and whilst I was trained to do base then eye makeup in practice if I'm doing a heavy or boldly coloured eye I always do eyes first, clean up and then base. It's the best way to get a clean finish without fall out and I use really good quality products. I was taught to use a tissue under the eye or a load of loose powder under the eye to catch fall out but you 100% get a better result BU doing your base after eyes if you want to keep the skin looking fresh and clean.

Latest posts

Back