Eyebrow skinning/burns

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kee

Reaction score
I had a teenager come in with her mum yesterday for an eyebrow wax. She has come back today with burns under both eyes. I cleansed and applied tea tree after. I gave after care advice. She had waxing done before at another salon. I didn't feel the wax was to hot and the pot was at the correct temperature. She isn't on medication. I didn't feel I pulled incorrect. Iv been doing this for 11years and never had any problems. I pulled the skin

Pulled the skin taught. Any ideas?

We're you using strip or hot wax out of interest Hun??xx

I use strip wax. I'm mortified but kept my calm. Gave her a refund and some aloe Vera gel on it. Her mum was really rude. I accepted responsibility and gave her the possible reasons. I honestly can't understand it. I didnt want to seem like I was blaming her n saying she had sensitive skin. Her mum was tryin to say it was from the freezing but it wasn't. She said I caught her skin. I said of I caught it once it was an accident. She said I was catching it the whole time but I no I wasn't. And I said if I was y didn't she say anything. Like

Sorry didn mean like stupid iPhone x

I'm new to waxing but...

I have had my lip waxed once and within an hour or two what appeared to be a burn formed. It wasn't - it was a slight graze where as the lip had had the very top layer removed but it literally looked liked id caught it with straighteners or something.

I waxed my mums lip a few weeks back. I've done it a few times for her and this time she got a graze on her lip - only on one side. Like you I went through it all in my head "right temperature, etc" and I've now come to the conclusion I put too much wax on. It was quick thick on that side and you really need it thinly spread is what I'm thinking.

Perhaps this could be a possibility for you too?

I hope this helps in some way as I know myself it's not a nice feeling but neither my mum or I had any permanent damaged - it healed in a few days

x

Did you put talc on? If using warm wax then in the recent weather talc is an absolute must. It helps to stop epithelial separation which sounds like what's happened. Any moisture left on the skin can cause this.

I personally would always recommend using Hot wax on eyebrows and all other facial waxing hun, I'm sure ur technique was fine and people with no experience such as her mum are always quick to judge (like to see them try and do it sometime) but at least with hot wax if u pop a little oil under the wax it will only bond with the hair never the skin minimising the chance of it ever happening again! Hth!
🌸

Thank u girlies for all ur replies. Yes I always use talc. I am qualified in hot wax but Iv only done a bikini wax (just the edges) and leg. Think I'd need to invest in a course for eyebrows.
I guess it's just one of those things but it was the way the mum acted. Like I said to her all I could do is give my apologise a refund and the gel.
When I was waxing her yesterday she was tellin me how her daughter had half day of school as she doesn't like goin in. She then tried to say today that her daughter didn't want to go to school Nd she had to drag her. I can imagine it must have been worse for her but as I pointed out to her she'd already told me she doesn't like goin to school. I feel I handled the situation well however it was just buggin me as to what the cause was. X

Is it the girls first time with you? I ask because if it is and the mother has gone with her it could be suspect. It might have happened before elsewhere. Once this happens I find it can happen again so avoid doing it (with warm wax) and switch to hot wax.

Did you check for roaccutane. Had she been sunbathing, were there any signs of sunburn on her shoulders etc at all.Was it a cream tea tree wax you used.I think if not using hot wax just good old honey strip is better on faces as there are no colourings and no perfumes.

Is it the girls first time with you? I ask because if it is and the mother has gone with her it could be suspect. It might have happened before elsewhere. Once this happens I find it can happen again so avoid doing it (with warm wax) and switch to hot wax.
On the same person

Yes it was her first time with me. She said she hadn't had a problem before. I thought this could have been a reason. X

Did you check for roaccutane. Had she been sunbathing, were there any signs of sunburn on her shoulders etc at all.Was it a cream tea tree wax you used.I think if not using hot wax just good old honey strip is better on faces as there are no colourings and no perfumes.

Yeh it was the cream tea tree wax. I will look into other waxes. She was mixed race I think so dark skinned anyway although that doesn't mean she hadn't been sunbathing but I couldn't tell she was wearin a school uniform. Yeh she wasn't on any medication. X

Now my work mate has told me she said she is goin to the paper. It's just one of those things I guess. X

Don't worry your a professional stay confident in what you do and as always just always be particuly cautious, I must admit I have had it happen to me in the past no matter how much I stretched the skin checked the temperature, but never with hot wax hence why I prefer it! Strangely enough I was using a tea tree creme wax at the time! But honestly now it's happened you'll make sure it doesn't again. Stay positive Hun!
🌸

is it possible your client is sensitive/allergic to tea tree? I have found this to be a common allergen. I also only use hot wax on the face. :)

This happened to me once, it looked like I has been slashed under both brows. I was 14 at the time and my mum was naturally angry at the therapist, who refunded us and gave me aloe to sooth it. I have been told by more established therapists that this sometimes happens, and no one is to blame.

X

Hi just an update. I have been away on holiday and I get a text from my boss to say the girls mums has come back in with pictures of her eyebrow and to say she is not happy and that she is going to take it further. My boss has told her to come back in on Monday when I am back ( my boss won't b in). I don't feel we should give this lady any money to compensate or free treatments as we do not really know the cause. I don't want a big showdown at work but I'm the only therapist. My boss doesn't do beauty so I have no one to back me up. Is there any information that I can print off to say it may be down to a number or reasons this has happened ;not that I feel she will take much notice of this) I just would like to be a bit prepared an any advise will b appreciated. Im tempted to tell her to take it further to court if need be. X

Check if she has had a sunbed treatment on the same day as your tretment. This is a possible cause. Of course she may not admit to it!

Latest posts

Back