Eyebrow wax or spray tan what's first?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilyella07

Reaction score
Hi I know the above is a bit straight forward but I just wanted to check I have a client in tonight for both and I normally wax her eyebrows would it be better to pluck and then add a barrier cream and then do the spray tan or has anyone wax brows before and then done a spray tan straight after.

Would like your feedback. Thanks

Hi

You should not really carry out a spray tan staright after treatment. You are supposed to wait 24 hours especially if its waxing. The area will be sensative and so the solution may irritate the area and can also cause other issues.

I would strongly suggest your client waits 24 hours before her tan.

Kind Regards

Trinitia

All hair removal should be carried out 24 hours before a tan.

If you wax the area will be very sensitive and will have a barrier from the afterwax lotion (and you may still have some wax or prewax oil/lotion left too).

If you pluck the eyebrows then the pores may still be open when you spray her and the tan solution can go into the pores and create tan spots after her tan as faded (not a good look, especially on the face).

*Edited to add*
Of course you can't do the tan and then wax the eyebrows as the wax would take off all the tan with it.

You can't pluck after because you'd affect the tan on her face & get tan over your fingers where you pull the skin tight, also there would be no tan under where the hair had been.

Last edited:
I wouldn't do both on the same day either. I've had clients ask me this before, and the answer has been no. I do their spraytan first, then eyebrows a day or 2 later xx

Thanks just wanted to make sure that there is no way around it

All hair removal should be carried out 24 hours before a tan.

If you wax the area will be very sensitive and will have a barrier from the afterwax lotion (and you may still have some wax or prewax oil/lotion left too).

If you pluck the eyebrows then the pores may still be open when you spray her and the tan solution can go into the pores and create tan spots after her tan as faded (not a good look, especially on the face).

*Edited to add*
Of course you can't do the tan and then wax the eyebrows as the wax would take off all the tan with it.

You can't pluck after because you'd affect the tan on her face & get tan over your fingers where you pull the skin tight, also there would be no tan under where the hair had been.

This is exactly what i was thinking.

I would always do the hair removal at least the day before the tan.

Mrsilashes, just curious since you do hair removal a few days after the tan, do you wax the eyebrows because wouldn't this leave white patches where the tan's been removed...or do you do plucking or threading?

xx

Do the brow wax and then tan 24hrs later.

If you tan straight after, your client could end up with a rash or even worse an infection.

If you wax after the tan, you'll remove the tan and that's not a good look:lol:

you cant spray after hair removal. the tan would go into the open hair follicle and could cause an infection and you cant wax after spray tanning as it lifts the tan straight off the skin.
best thing to do is wax 24 hours before your spray tan xx

I know your supposed to leave it 24hrs but I've been waxing before spray tan for 3years now and my mum has been doing it on 1000's of clients over 5yrs and has never had problems or complaints! Some of these cardinal sins of beauty are just pointless

If a client really can't come 24 hours apart for these treatments I'll do the brow wax then dab on a barrier cream then spray. It's always been ok so far. But I do advise them it's at their own risk.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

So what are you guys that wax & tan at the same appointment planning to do when one of these clients does have a problem?

If the problem is because you waxed and then tanned them, your insurance company is going to wash their hands of helping you deal with the claim because you ignored the directions given in training.

Insurance comapnies don't need big reasons to avoid paying out on a claim, you HAVE to follow your training to make your insurance valid.

Waxing then tanning.... Permanently tattooed a friend of mine skin! Totally agree with BB here, 24 hours is needed between tanning and waxing x

I think leaving 24hrs in between is being too precautious. Between me, my mum and sister who have done a tan immediately after. Brow wax without using barrier cream . After doing 100s and 100s of clients in 5 years , we have never had a problem or a complaint. It has never affected the outcome!

I think leaving 24hrs in between is being too precautious. Between me, my mum and sister who have done a tan immediately after. Brow wax without using barrier cream . After doing 100s and 100s of clients in 5 years , we have never had a problem or a complaint. It has never affected the outcome!
So please do tell us all what is your plan IF something should go wrong, because your insurance won't cover you?
There MUST be a valid reason that all tanning trainers state you must wax 24 hours before tanning.

Well I think if it hasn't happened on 100s of clients by 3 different beauticians in the space of 5yrs, what's the likelihood it will? If I didn't do tans after brow wax's then I'd lose so much money

If you do have one client who does and you get sued and insurance won't cover you and you loose your license and job! Freak accidents can happen. I always make sure client safety is first before money making bcoz that's when you compromise your standards and mistakes occur.

Beauty at your finger tips!

I do not wax and tan in the same appointment....end of. I make my clients aware of this if and when they try to book both in at the same time. I've never once had a client go elsewhere because I have put their safety first. It is our job as beauty therapists to educate our clients as to why we can't do those treatments at the same time. If they still want to ignore your advice then let them go elsewhere and invalidate someone else's insurance! It doesn't matter if you've performed the treatment 3 million times with no problem it's the 1 time there is a reaction or speckled tan that will result in problems for you. Training guidelines are there to protect therapists as well as clients and shouldn't just be ignored because you've never yet had a problem x

Amen MrsSmith x

So what are you guys that wax & tan at the same appointment planning to do when one of these clients does have a problem?

If the problem is because you waxed and then tanned them, your insurance company is going to wash their hands of helping you deal with the claim because you ignored the directions given in training.

Insurance comapnies don't need big reasons to avoid paying out on a claim, you HAVE to follow your training to make your insurance valid.

This is part of my small print in insurance no waxing or facials within 24 hrs of tanning UNLESS a disclosure is signed by client wavering the right to not follow correct guidelines. I get them to sign a waver and also sign a sheet made up to say they are going against my professional advice. Same as i g8v the clients tht wont come for tint test 24hrs b4 tint.... over the 3 yrs ive never had a problem with the clients that insist they want it all same say.. . So each to their own i suppose... xxx

Excuse me if I sound rude but why are you asking if you've done this to 100's?
I've never had a client go elsewhere when I've refused to do this - better to be safe than sorry

Latest posts

Back