Eyebrow waxing!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shellie xx

Reaction score
Hi! I need some advice ~ a few weeks ago I waxed a clients eyebrows who I have been waxing every 3/4 weeks for the past 18 months. This time however, she developed a little 'graze' under one of the eyebrows the next day. I'm assuming this could be because I took some of the skin off too. Why do you think this happened? When she came back to show me, I felt so awful I gave her a free tube of Barrier Repair by Dermalogica and advised her to make sure she wears an spf over the area at all times because she was going on holiday in the next few days. Has this happened to anyone else before? xx

Hi! I need some advice ~ a few weeks ago I waxed a clients eyebrows who I have been waxing every 3/4 weeks for the past 18 months. This time however, she developed a little 'graze' under one of the eyebrows the next day. I'm assuming this could be because I took some of the skin off too. Why do you think this happened? When she came back to show me, I felt so awful I gave her a free tube of Barrier Repair by Dermalogica and advised her to make sure she wears an spf over the area at all times because she was going on holiday in the next few days. Has this happened to anyone else before? xx
Yes Shellie,it's happened to me and probably to many others.Did you check to make sure that the client wasn't on any skin thinning meds before you carried out the treatment??Was your wax at correct temperature?Im sure you did check but sometimes mistakes can be made.

I think you made a very kind gesture by giving the client concerned the cream,dont beat yourself up about it.I know some therapists that use oil prior to waxing to prevent this from happening,maybe you could give this a go if you're concerned it may happen again.:hug:

hi
had your client been on a sunbed?

Hi! Thank you for your quick replies! I had checked with my client previously that she wasn't on any skin thinning drugs, I do tell them when first ever filling out my consultation card to tell me if anything changes with regards to medication at each appointment but I hadn't re-checked on that appointment. I will ask her when i next see her (if she ever comes back!) to see. I also hadn't asked about the sunbed either, must make a point of these because in those sorts of situations I panic and can't think straight!!!

I haven't tried oil actually, I always talc any area that I wax but never oil! Which oil do you use? Where do you get it from and how does it work? I have always thought it would create a barrier but since reading a few threads on here, it makes sense that it makes the wax adhere to the hairs and not to the skin.

Another quick question ~ I had a client today that has been put on Heparin (an anti-coagulant) just for the weekend because her doctor is worried that she may have a blood clot. I didn't wax her today because I felt if her blood was being thinned, she would bruise a hell of a lot easier than normal so I painted her nails instead ~ no massage though either!! Do you think this was the right thing to do? Also, when she stops taking Heparin, how long should I wait before waxing and massaging her again? xx

For your original question, did you support the skin properly when removing the strip? If the skin is not supported properly it can cause the problem you described.

Hi! Thank you for your quick replies! I had checked with my client previously that she wasn't on any skin thinning drugs, I do tell them when first ever filling out my consultation card to tell me if anything changes with regards to medication at each appointment but I hadn't re-checked on that appointment. I will ask her when i next see her (if she ever comes back!) to see. I also hadn't asked about the sunbed either, must make a point of these because in those sorts of situations I panic and can't think straight!!!

I haven't tried oil actually, I always talc any area that I wax but never oil! Which oil do you use? Where do you get it from and how does it work? I have always thought it would create a barrier but since reading a few threads on here, it makes sense that it makes the wax adhere to the hairs and not to the skin.

Another quick question ~ I had a client today that has been put on Heparin (an anti-coagulant) just for the weekend because her doctor is worried that she may have a blood clot. I didn't wax her today because I felt if her blood was being thinned, she would bruise a hell of a lot easier than normal so I painted her nails instead ~ no massage though either!! Do you think this was the right thing to do? Also, when she stops taking Heparin, how long should I wait before waxing and massaging her again? xx
In all honesty Shellie I would ask for her Dr's permission to perform any treatments,list the ones she normally has,i.e waxing and massage and ask if it will be ok to continue these whilst client is taking the medication and when it will be ok to resume the treatments once medication has stopped.

It's just not worth taking any chance.Good luck.:hug:

It happened to me when I was in training, it makes you feel SO bad I can understand how you feel.!

I waxed the area twice (at college we were taught to wax twice and no more in any area) which I have never done since, my poor friend had a right little graze and I was devastated!

Have to say I have learnt from that mistake and never waxed twice and always keep the wax in the upper part of the eyelid, some hairs can grow half way down I never wax there as the skin is really sensitive in this area.

This has happened to me too, went for a ages having my brows waxed before anyting like this happened.
I was going to go back to the salon didnt and healed within a day or two.
Was not painful at the time pressuming too hard then im no expert but it didnt put me off at all went back the following month and all was okay....
Just to reasurre you im no skin geek just speaking from experience.:hug:

Julie x

Actually I used to be horrified when this happened thinking I had done something wrong UNTIL I waxed my own eyebrows once and later that night I washed my face and dried with a towel. I was a bit rough (forgot about my recently waxed brows) - then forgot all about it...

Next day - a brown graze on brow bone...so even though the graze could have been caused by you - on the other hand the client could have done it unknowingly herself.

And I suppose this is part of the after care that for 24 hours after the skin is tender and is prone to problems.

Sometimes the skin feels great even after a few hours after waxing - clients do forget to look after the skin.

I'm glad it isn't just me that this has happened to! Thanks girls for your reassurance. I think I'm going to try the oil idea and before I wax anyone, old or new clients, I will ask if anything has changed since their last visit to me. Also, going through the aftercare every single treatment is good. I do tell them at their first appointment with me but I assume they will always be careful with their waxed areas. I may actually look for some after waxing care leaflets ~ I'm sure I've seen them somewhere before. Does anybody use them at all? xx

In all honesty Shellie I would ask for her Dr's permission to perform any treatments,list the ones she normally has,i.e waxing and massage and ask if it will be ok to continue these whilst client is taking the medication and when it will be ok to resume the treatments once medication has stopped.

It's just not worth taking any chance.Good luck.:hug:

Thank you Babs, you're right. I'm definately going to do this. I know she has an appointment tomorrow so I'll get her no. today and call or text her tomorrow morning. She has another appointment with me on Thursday you see and I really don't think you can be too careful in these situations xx

As it's been said...........deffo use oil. I just put the tiniest drop of cheap baby oil (any brand) into the palm of my hand and rub them together and press or wipe across the area to be waxed. Also, Peron Rigot hard was is fab as it doesn't stick to the skin, just the hair. xxx

As it's been said...........deffo use oil. I just put the tiniest drop of cheap baby oil (any brand) into the palm of my hand and rub them together and press or wipe across the area to be waxed. Also, Peron Rigot hard was is fab as it doesn't stick to the skin, just the hair. xxx

So does the wax go on easily after you've applied the oil? I am really intrigued about this! I'm definately going to buy some and give it a go! Just baby oil? Can you do this on legs, bikini etc? xx

So does the wax go on easily after you've applied the oil? I am really intrigued about this! I'm definately going to buy some and give it a go! Just baby oil? Can you do this on legs, bikini etc? xx

Any light oil will do the trick - baby oil, massage oil, even the post-wax oils that some companies sell. You really do only need a light smear though - too much and the wax will slide off (if this happens, just blot with a tissue and try again). It works well on all areas of the body, with both strip and hard wax :)

Latest posts

Back