Eyelash client with headlice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DyeMyHair

Reaction score
I've recently started doing lashes and I'm wanting to pick peoples brains on something....

Headlice! I'm itchy just typing the word!

If you were to notice headlice in someones hair what would you do? How would you politely approach the subject? Has anyone ever faced a situation like this before and if so how did you handle it and how did the client react?

I would tell them and say that you can't treat them until they have treated the lice! They can easily be treated within the hour (although further precautions need to be taken to ensure they don't return) and then the client can be rebooked with no risk to you or any other clients.

I've recently started doing lashes and I'm wanting to pick peoples brains on something....

Headlice! I'm itchy just typing the word!

If you were to notice headlice in someones hair what would you do? How would you politely approach the subject? Has anyone ever faced a situation like this before and if so how did you handle it and how did the client react?

I’m itchy just reading this☹️ if I noticed them I would also tell them, you don’t want lice yourself or to risk passing them on to another client.
If your client doesn’t know she has them she may be glad you have told her! I would certainly want to know so I could get rid of the itchy buggers.
If she’s paying for her lashes doing she obviously cares about her appearance and may be mortified[emoji848]
It’s not an easy one, try not to catch them xxx

I would tell them and say that you can't treat them until they have treated the lice! They can easily be treated within the hour (although further precautions need to be taken to ensure they don't return) and then the client can be rebooked with no risk to you or any other clients.
I’m itchy just reading this☹️ if I noticed them I would also tell them, you don’t want lice yourself or to risk passing them on to another client.
If your client doesn’t know she has them she may be glad you have told her! I would certainly want to know so I could get rid of the itchy buggers.
If she’s paying for her lashes doing she obviously cares about her appearance and may be mortified[emoji848]
It’s not an easy one, try not to catch them xxx

I was hoping not to encounter something like this so early on and to make things worse it was more of a practice model and a family member of my partner... I'm mortified and don't know how to approach it when she comes back for a fill

She may have treated them by then. If not, just be factual about it, treat it like any other contra indication. You will come across all sorts of things when dealing with the public and I promise you, the thought of telling her is far worse then the reality.

If you caught them you'd have to fork out for treatment for you and your partner/kids (if you didn't notice immediately and spread it to them) and if anyone else subsequently caught them from your salon it could affect your business. Be brave, she will be far more embarrassed than you.

Some people honestly don’t even realise the impact it can have on others if it’s passed on & will be fine when you bring it up. Hairdressers have to do it all the time. I actually had someone turn up on Saturday for a facial, with a cold sore?! She actually walked in and said “oh typical, I got this a couple of days ago...” I just told her straight that I couldn’t do the treatment because I couldn’t put others & myself at risk of cross contamination... she was absolutely fine & said “yeah of course, that makes sense..”

With head lice, you have to treat both the lice and the eggs to ensure that it’s definitely cleared up because the eggs won’t be killed by the lotion.

You have to comb out the eggs and then wait a few days to see if any eggs hatch so you re-apply the lotion a few days later.

Also, all family members have to be treated as a precaution.

Because of the lengthy process, I wouldn’t re-book them in too quickly.

If you come across clients with head lice, and you’re not a hairdresser, you can refer them to a Pharmacist for advice. That way you can be professional and detached so that the client doesn’t feel embarrassed.

Head lice infestations are surprisingly common when clients have young children. It’s just one of those things.

Latest posts

Back