Eyelash Extensions and eye Dermatitis!!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rubytues

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
Has anyone come across Dermatitis of the eye??!
I have or should I say had, a regular SP EE client. Loved her lashes and had them on for months will regular infills.
A few months ago unfortunately developed some health issues resulting in medication etc etc. That's when she started with irritation in her eyes, putting it down to illness and medication she had a break for while and returned for a fresh set, same thing happened again! Eyes started to become itchy and red. I removed them and she was still having problems so she went to the doctor who confirmed she had dermatitis of the eye.
Do you think this has developed through wearing lashes, or is it down to her health/age and medication?

*whispers* help...anyone?

I don't think you can be certain until she stops the medication and you try again. Do you use a fumey glue? If so maybe try a sensitive glue on her, little patch test and see what happens? x

I don't think you can be certain until she stops the medication and you try again. Do you use a fumey glue? If so maybe try a sensitive glue on her, little patch test and see what happens? x

Thanks!
You're right, I'm going to buy the sensitive and perhaps apply 2-3 lashes as a test.
Am I right in thinking the sensitive glue is slower drying!

Usually it is. What brand are you using? I would look at different brands to see what the fastest drying sensitive one is x

If she has dermatitis on her eye I think it's unlikely that she will be able to wear lashes. Sorry.

If her eyelids appear to be dry and flaky, lash glue will really irritate this. The fumes in lash glue will dry the skin further.

I would suggest patch testing her with a low odour glue but I think she may have to give up the extensions :Scared:

I have this on my eyes and I lash with goggles on now (don't laugh) as even fumes from doing someone else's lashes makes my eyes swell up

That's the thing, she doesn't really suffer from until she starts to wear them. I really want to help her because she loves her lashes and has very short natural lashes :-(

That's the thing, she doesn't really suffer from until she starts to wear them. I really want to help her because she loves her lashes and has very short natural lashes :-(

That would suggest that it IS the lash glue then.

It's a shame but once this reaction develops the client is stuck with it. Even if she has months without lashes, as soon as she tries again she will get the same reaction.

By all means try some low odour glue and test her with it but, in my experience, she will still react as the low odour glues still contain cyanoacrylate which is the most likely cause of the reaction.

I have had to give up lashes for good :sad:

I have tried EVERYTHING, but each time I try again the reaction is even worse than the last time.

That would suggest that it IS the lash glue then.

It's a shame but once this reaction develops the client is stuck with it. Even if she has months without lashes, as soon as she tries again she will get the same reaction.

By all means try some low odour glue and test her with it but, in my experience, she will still react as the low odour glues still contain cyanoacrylate which is the most likely cause of the reaction.

I have had to give up lashes for good :sad:

I have tried EVERYTHING, but each time I try again the reaction is even worse than the last time.

Aw thats awful for you!
Have you tried the Nouveau low odour? Apparently that doesnt contain it?
Thing is my client is convinced the reaction is caused through the lashes themselves! Before the reaction I used J curls then I changed to C's. I'm trying to convince her otherwise though...

I am the same as ellibee, I can't even wear strip lashes now and it has taken 12 months of no make up for me to gradually be able to wear mascara, the reaction got worse everytime, different glue, lashes etc nothing worked. My advice is to leave her eyes well alone as by persevering you are likely to make her eyes more and more sensitive and I would hate anyone to have to go what I have been through :-/

Latest posts

Back