Eyelash extensions and patch tests

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leona55

Reaction score
Hi all

I am a newly qualified lash technician and getting bogged down with the insurance and patch tests.

I know from personal experience I have never been asked to go in for a patch test before getting eyelash extensions and if I had - I'd have just booked elsewhere.

The insurance companies only cover you if your clients have patch tests.

If you insist on patch tests on your clients you'll no doubt lose out on a huge portion of the market that will go elsewhere.

If you're not patch testing then is there any point in even having insurance since they won't cover you anyway?

SO confusing! How do people get around this? How are you expected to patch test every single product you use on them and expect them to come in their own time for it?

Thanks in advance!

Do you offer any other services? I patch test all of my clients even if they aren't lash/tint clients, to save the hassle of coming in, in case they decide they want them.

I agree, I've never been patch tested, but I've had brow tint and lash extensions at different places. The last girl that did them said that her system didn't require patch testing, so might be worth having a look into that?

On the other hand, I don't think I've had any clients refuse a patch test. Everyone in our salon is trained to patch test, so I'm very flexible on when they can come in for testing.

I know some techs make their clients sign a declaration, stating that they refused a patch test and accept full responsibility for any reactions that may occur.

Personally I don't think it's worth the risk, especially with products so close to the eye. Aside from the legal and insurance side, I couldn't live with the guilt of causing a reaction on my client, all because I didn't patch test. And you absolutely MUST BE INSURED!!!

Hope this helps xx

I would of course still get insurance as I'd literally lose sleep at night - but I hope you understand my point being that if the majority of people aren't enforcing patch testing then having insurance is pretty pointless anyway unless they're all using a system that doesn't require any!

I am home based and only offering lash extensions currently. Thank you for your input and I will look into products that perhaps state they don't require a patch test to have on hand for the clients that really don't want to come in for one in advance!

Latest posts

Back